Topics

World Wide SSB contest. Chance to try the BBTD

Mel Farrer

I will be working the WWSSB this weekend with the inverted V BBTD on 100 W to see how it performs.  Hope to see you there, hi...

Mel, K6KBE

Mel Farrer

Well, it all went very good, made a lot of contacts on 160 mostly on the west coast and into the midwest.  After the contest on Sunday the antenna failed.  UGLY.  Went out and found the BUXCOMM 16:1 balun had PULLED apart.  That is the body of the connector separated from the flange.  The connector body is a press fit into the flange.  NO SOLDER.  I do not recommend this balun in its current state of manufacturing.  BUXCOMM is sending me a replacementt, ONLY if it does not have the press fit panel connector.  Be advised.....

Mel, K6KBE

Mel Farrer

OK, the good news, I cut the bottom of the balun off just above the bottom cap.  There is enough room in the tube to fabricate a new bottom cap with a GOOD flange mount connector and reassemble the balun.  So, I saved the balun this time.

Mel, K6KBE

Bonnie KQ6XA

I'm using a strain relief on my coax to the balun, so perhaps that has saved me from similar problems.

-Bonnie KQ6XA