Topics

What Type Battery to use for Portable Operation?

ERB

Hello all HFpackers!

I've lost count how many times hams have asked me about portable batteries.
The number one factor that determines what battery to use with your HFpack is the radio receive current.
Yes, transmit power is also a factor, but look at your TX: RX Ratio.
For most of us it's low. That is you listen more than you transmit except for contesting.
Take a look at an article in the Boschveldt QRP Club Library, I think it might get you thinking.

http://w3bqc.homestead.com/Li-ion_Batteries_have_Arrived.pdf

72,

Ed, WA3WSJ

Jeff, KF5KWO

Thanks, Ed. I'm just now considering PM operation, so this article was a great introduction for me to portable power.

73 de Jeff, KF5KWO
Helotes, TX

Peter Parker

I've used a 11.1v 5000mAH LiPO with my FT817.

This allowed about 5 hours of HF pedestrian mobile contesting (approx 40 contacts) with some power still left.

 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tr4544ZbGwE

Richard Andrew Knack

CW or voice? I just got an FT-817 myself. I am seriously considering soending the extra for LiFePO4.

Rich
KC8MWG

Sent via the Samsung GALAXY S® 5, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone