Topics

W0RW/pm Report - 50 Q's on Pikes Peak

Pikes Peak was windy and chilly at 1500z (18 August 2017) so I had my ski jacket and gloves on.

Pikes Peak is at 4301 Meters so it gets pretty chilly. My rig was a PRC319 running 50W to a 10 foot whip.

My headset broke so I had to use a hand set and that made logging more challenging so if your

call is missing from the list let me know.

Here is my SSB log:

KD9CB subnet ?,

K8WLF Fritz OH,

W0WCA Bill COS,

W6BUX Gurbux CA,

K4WLS/m ?  GA #,

KC9HPL ? Roger #,

N3KQM/mm Jim Catalina Island,

N4SSI Neil GA,

K6FX Robert SF,

K9NYO/m Bob IL,

KM4DCJ Jim NC,

N5NAL Neil TX,

EA1DR Oscar Spain,

K2RYD Salli NY (RYD for horse rider),

W6JRY Jerry CA (JRY for Jerry),

W8ZST Mike MN,

K6FG Mark CA,

KD2HDZ Glenn NY,

AE5UN Don AR,

NK6A Don CA,

N8MAS Mark OH,

N9BX Bruce MS,

WG0AT/p Steve, Rosalie Pk, 4138 meters, S2S,

N9YZA Peter IL,

K6HTM Charlie CA,

KB0POF Michael COS,

KC0UHP John MN,

KS4XR Paul GA,

After that my voice started to become raspy from the altitude, so I switched to CW.

These guys are mostly SOTA Chasers who love a pileup.

I am addicted to pileups too, Read the excellent article about Pileups by C. Frank Ridolfo,

(WB1EEU) CQ Magazine, August 2017, p. 36-38.

CW Q's:

VE4AKI Tom MB,

K6EL Elliott SF CA,

AB9CA Dave AL,

WW7D  Darryl WA,

N4EX Rich NC,

WA7S??,

W7RV Tom  AZ,

WA2USA Dennis IN,

K5OT Larry CA,

N6PKT Richard AZ,

W7USA Ray AZ,

WB0KIU Bill IA,

KK1W Jim MA (SOTA Jerk),

K4MF Gary FL,

KA1J Gary CT,

KK1W Jim MA,

W7CNL Jack ID,

K4ARQ John FL,

N4MJ Glenn TN,

K6MW Mike WA,

NS7P  Phil OR, on summit S2S,

KI4TN Ron TN ,

W9i Il State Fair, op Woody WD9F,

W6WW Bruce CA,

AC1Z Bob NH,

VA7VAJ ? #,

W2SE Bruce NJ,

W6UB Larry TN,

ZL1BYZ John NZ --  DX WhoooHooo,

VE2JCW Jean QC ,

KC9TYA Mark IN,

K7FX Steve on Rosalie Pk CO,

# Call probably wrong...Need correction.

  • Over 250 new people used the link that I set up to watch the Pikes Peak Web Cam as I was operating.

Many of them sent emails saying they could only hear stations calling me.

Several guys made screen shots of me walking around in front of the web camera so I could see what it looked like. Thanks to Luke AD0KI and Jim KM4DCJ. The screen shots make great QSL cards.

Today and tomorrow the Pikes Peak will be very crowded because the Ascent runners will be running up

the Barr Trail from Manitou Springs to the top of Pikes Peak. If you look at the web cam

<https://parks.coloradosprings.gov/pikespeak> you will see hundreds of people and buses.

I ran a few Walkie Talkie tests while I was up on the Peak.

I tested my BC-611's on 3885 KCs but no joy, signals too weak, My PRC6 battery died just as the testing started.

Also tested my 2 Meter "Tiny Tim" (958A) but no joy.

Thanks for all the Q's.

(See more Pedestrian Mobile pictures at (http://www.qrz.com/db/w0rw/).

Paul   w0rw

Colorado