Topics

Portable NVIS Antenna

felix1063@...

Hello All,

Does anybody have any ideas for a portable NVIS antenna that can be put up by one person and that can be packed into a small carry on box?  80, 60, & 40 mtrs are the desired frequencies of operation.  Power - 100 watts or less.

Thank you,

--jeff

wb7aht

David Wilcox

Check with Brad Melbergh,  W8QPO.  He built several for our emergency van.  Check QRZ for his email.  W8QPO@.... When we used one for NPOTA those that stuck it out through all the rain storms said it worked quite well.

Dave K8WPE

On Feb 14, 2017, at 2:04 AM, felix1063@... wrote:

Hello All,

Does anybody have any ideas for a portable NVIS antenna that can be put up by one person and that can be packed into a small carry on box?  80, 60, & 40 mtrs are the desired frequencies of operation.  Power - 100 watts or less.

Thank you,

--jeff

wb7aht

Mel Farrer, K6KBE

If you can put up a 20 to 26 foot FG pole, consider Bonnie's BBTD Inverted V.

Mel, K6KBE

To: hfpack@groups.io
Sent: Monday, February 13, 2017 11:04 PM
Subject: [hfpack] Portable NVIS Antenna

Hello All,

Thank you,
--jeff
wb7aht

Ken

The Buddipole can be configured as a NVIS antenna if you have access to one.

Ken, NT7K

On Feb 14, 2017, at 8:21 AM, Mel Farrer via Groups.Io <farrerfolks@...> wrote:

Mel, K6KBE

Hello All,

Thank you,
--jeff
wb7aht

lamarrsy

Hi,

Jeff asked for an NVIS antenna on 80 / 60 / 40 meters.

A 20' to 25' high dipole / inv V is definitely too high for NVIS on those bands.

7' to 15' (max) height is what to aim for, for NVIS work in those 3 bands.

That said, without having tried it myself but having heard the results, I would personally consider a Buddipole kit for the required NVIS setup, as Jeff you say 100watts could be used.

Check their Buddipole "deluxe" package, it seems to meet your requirements.

73!

-Sylvain, VE2LAM, via  iPhone

Le 14 févr. 2017 à 10:21, Mel Farrer via Groups.Io <farrerfolks@...> a écrit :

Mel, K6KBE

Hello All,

Thank you,
--jeff
wb7aht

_._,_._,_

Bonnie KQ6XA

The maximum dimensions for a carry-on bag are 9 inches x 14 inches x 22 inches (22 cm x 35 cm x 56 cm), including handles and wheels.

If you are also carrying a 100 watt radio with battery or power supply in that carry on box, then the antenna and support must be very small. 

When I was dependent upon NVIS HF communications for expeditions, I had my HF station in a small backpack, suitable for a carry-on bag. 

My NVIS antenna consisted of an inverted-V antenna with a very collapsible small fiberglass composite fishing pole, 12 feet tall.

The inverted-V was made of #18 AWG teflon insulated wire, and I used miniature RG-174 coaxial cable for the feedline. 

Nylon cord and tent stakes kept the antenna up. 

-Bonnie KQ6XA

Bonnie KQ6XA

This is the Cabelas Telescopic Panfish Pole that I utilized for lightweight NVIS.

It collapses to 15 inches long.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Telescopic-Panfish-Poles/738690.uts

It extends to 12 feet.

But, don't tape your inverted V antenna to the top section, instead tape it to the 2nd section from the top.

So, your Inverted-V will have its apex at 11 feet above ground.

-Bonnie KQ6XA

lamarrsy

Hello Bonnie,

Thanks for sharing this, it may just be something I was looking for myself, for camping outings (matched with ham radio of course) in the coming season!

-Sylvain, VE2LAM, via  iPhone

Le 15 févr. 2017 à 20:05, Bonnie KQ6XA <bonniekq6xa@...> a écrit :

This is the Cabelas Telescopic Panfish Pole that I utilized for lightweight NVIS.

It collapses to 15 inches long.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Telescopic-Panfish-Poles/738690.uts

It extends to 12 feet.

But, don't tape your inverted V antenna to the top section, instead tape it to the 2nd section from the top.

So, your Inverted-V will have its apex at 11 feet above ground.

-Bonnie KQ6XA

Bonnie KQ6XA

Word to the wise: that Cabelas telescopic pole is prone to damage, but it will work OK if you treat it right and take it down when there are high winds.

-Bonnie KQ6XA

Mel Farrer, K6KBE

One thing I do to mount any FG pole, is to make a PVC clamp.  That is, take a PVC tube where the ID is close to the OD of the FG pole and cut a piece about 6" long and cut it inhalf length wise nest the FG between them like a sandwich and put your clamp, hose, whatever so that the clamping action is distributed over a longer distance.  I learned this after failure on a campout with my Jackite.  UGLY.

Mel, K6KBE

Previous Topic Next Topic