Topics

MOC 2018 Turns into Winter Frozen Wonderland!

ERB

W3BQC MOC Event & POTA

KFF-3379 - Delaware Water Gap, NJ
K-1619      - High Point SP, NJ

Hello again,

Well, MOC 2018 is now a thing of the past, but we had fun!
First thing to note is that we lost power at the lodge most of Friday evening and most of Saturday during the day.
Saturday found NK1N working the birds near the AT in High Point Park, NJ.
He also had a group KB3SBC, KA3RMM and WB3GCK with him.

I, WA3WSJ decided to hike over to High Point Monument with my HT.
Well, after I came upon the lake, the winds were a steady 30mph and gusting over 30mph with a temp of around 16'F!
So as I gazed at the monument and pondered the hike, the wind convinced me not to hike -hi!

Plan B was activated so I walked back to my truck.
After setting up my Up & Outer Antenna, my gloved hands were frozen.
So I turned on the truck heater and placed my hands in the warm flow!
The ground was frozen solid so I attached the antenna to my truck using bungee cords!
Then the wind tried to blow it over so I had to place a weight next to the bottom to keep it up.

Using my KX2, I managed to work seven states and one DX.
Here's the list of stations worked:
20M: AE5X
40M: K1YAN, KE3YW, WA3WAW, KM4ZZ, N8RZO, KB3VQU, AB2DE, WA3RNC, VE1RP
2M Simplex: KD2MZC

The bands had lots of QSB and I received good signal reports stating QSB.
I will post pics on our website soon.
Look for them later today.

Man! It was frigid up there at over 1800' ASL.