Topics

How to select a pack?

Tyrell Jentink, KD7KUJ

Hello all,

My name is Tyrell, KD7KUJ; I grew up doing Boy Scouts in the Sierra Nevadas of northern Nevada and California. I used to do a lot of backpacking, but adulthood got in the way of all of that... Now I'm living in Oregon, and I want to start getting out more.

I lurked on the Yahoo group for a long time, but never did anything interesting... While I have had my General Class for a number of years, I have never been able to get an HF radio... Well, I think that's about to change in the coming months... So I'm starting to think about my pack options.

When I was a kid, I used an external frame pack... But when I got married, my wife and I got matching internal frame packs on sale at Costco... The internal frame pack is certainly comfortable, but it doesn't carry as much, and it has no metal frame to mount anything to...

I know the ALICE frames are popular... I imagine their metal frame is advantageous to the cause, as it provides good mounting and a not-insignificant start to a ground plane, and it certainly has a reputation for being able to take a beating... Are those it's key features?

Has anyone tried the MALICE frames from Tactical Tailor? Does it offer anything interesting to our hobby, or is it more or less not worth the extra cost?

But are any of those really worth the cost? I still have my Kelty Yukon from my younger years... It does have an aluminum frame (Albeit, not nearly as beefy as the MALICE frames), and while it certainly needs some TLC and a few replacement parts, it served me well in the past and is still in pretty good shape. I was curious what kinds of success people have had with such "Hiker quality" packs?

Finally (For now...), Do people keep the pack on the frame, or is it more common to take the pack off and mount the radios to the frame itself? If I were buying an ALICE or MALICE frame, is it typical for people to get the pack, too?

Thanks for the group's input on these subjects... It's always appreciated when one has a good resource like this one when setting out on a new project ;)

73,
Tyrell Jentink, KD7KUJ

Tyrell Jentink, KD7KUJ

No replies...

Well, since I posted this question, I stumbled upon the Kelty Raven tactical radio backpack... I can't justify dropping that kind of coin, but it is noteworthy in that it's designed with radios in mind, and it doesn't have a metal frame... Neither do most modern tactical backpacks, many of which also sport radio pouches either built in or available as accessories.

All of this leads me to suspect that I was thinking in the wrong direction, with regard to the frame benefiting my ground plane? Would still love some input on that subject... Because I do have a several internal frame and rigid backpacks in the garage to choose from if the metal frame isn't directly helpful to the cause.

I also stumbled on this: http://w3bqc.homestead.com/WA3WSJ_s_PM_Handbook.pdf, and I'm still working my way through it, but it also seems to put little emphasis on the RF properties of the pack/frame itself, more focusing on ergonomics, a discussion in which there were no major surprises.

All in all, I probably just need to be told that I'm thinking about it too much.

--73, Tyrell, KD7KUJ

On Mar 3, 2017 10:51, "Tyrell Jentink, KD7KUJ" <Tyrell@...> wrote:
[...]

Bonnie KQ6XA

A pack is somewhat of a personal choice. It also depends on what you intend to carry in it.

The backpack frame should not be utilized as a counterpoise.

The objective is to get as much energy into the air as possible, and less into your body.

-Bonnie KQ6XA

Roman Brunecky

Honestly alot depends on how you intend to actually use the radio. In general I tend not to use HAM rigs when pedestrian mobile, even though I did mod my FT897 to be able to do just that, HAM rigs in general are too fragile for that sort of use IMO, not to mention tuner issues. If you are just hauling the radio in the bag it totally doesn't matter, and honestly thats the best way to use HF radios i.e. short stop, set up radio do what you need to do, move on. Using HF on the move comes with the main problem of a constantly changing ground, many (not all) mil radios were designed with tuners that check every time you TX to make sure you don't fry the rig if your drag wire (counterpoise) came off.

If you want an "authenitc" radio rucksack, check out the older British DPM radio rucks, they can be had for about 40-50bucks. you can also use the PLCE side pockets with them IIRC.

-Roman KD0PUJ

Bryan Nehl

A built this a number of years ago--

Bryan - k0emt