Topics

backpacking whip/vertical?

Richard Andrew Knack

I bought an Expedition Pack for my FT-817ND, and I was wondering what sort of antenna I could use for HF backpack/manpack "walkabout" use. I have seen the Ventenna HFp, which is supposed to fit in the web loops at the side of the pack, but at about $300 (with the backpack mount, plus shipping; even more if I opt for the 60-80 meter option), that's a bit stiff (nearly half what the radio cost me). Anybody have any recommendations?

Rich
KC8MWG

galenow

I’ve used this: http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/1393  ATX WALKABOUT Mostly happy for SOTA use
Don KG5ISG

On Sep 28, 2017, at 4:23 PM, Richard Andrew Knack via Groups.Io <ihc73scout2@...> wrote:

I bought an Expedition Pack for my FT-817ND, and I was wondering what sort of antenna I could use for HF backpack/manpack "walkabout" use. I have seen the Ventenna HFp, which is supposed to fit in the web loops at the side of the pack, but at about $300 (with the backpack mount, plus shipping; even more if I opt for the 60-80 meter option), that's a bit stiff (nearly half what the radio cost me). Anybody have any recommendations?

Rich
KC8MWG

Bonnie KQ6XA

Try the Super Antenna MP1DXR.
It is designed for ruggedized operation and pedestrian mobile HF.