Topics

backpacking whip/vertical?

Richard Andrew Knack

I bought an Expedition Pack for my FT-817ND, and I was wondering what sort of antenna I could use for HF backpack/manpack "walkabout" use. I have seen the Ventenna HFp, which is supposed to fit in the web loops at the side of the pack, but at about $300 (with the backpack mount, plus shipping; even more if I opt for the 60-80 meter option), that's a bit stiff (nearly half what the radio cost me). Anybody have any recommendations?

Rich
KC8MWG

galenow

I’ve used this: http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/1393  ATX WALKABOUT Mostly happy for SOTA use
Don KG5ISG

On Sep 28, 2017, at 4:23 PM, Richard Andrew Knack via Groups.Io <ihc73scout2@...> wrote:

I bought an Expedition Pack for my FT-817ND, and I was wondering what sort of antenna I could use for HF backpack/manpack "walkabout" use. I have seen the Ventenna HFp, which is supposed to fit in the web loops at the side of the pack, but at about $300 (with the backpack mount, plus shipping; even more if I opt for the 60-80 meter option), that's a bit stiff (nearly half what the radio cost me). Anybody have any recommendations?

Rich
KC8MWG

Bonnie KQ6XA

Try the Super Antenna MP1DXR.
It is designed for ruggedized operation and pedestrian mobile HF.

Peter Parker

I'm biased, but I'd have to go with the Wadetenna described at http://home.alphalink.com.au/~parkerp/projects/projwade.htm .  Build it for <$50.  Great performance on all bands 7 - 50 MHz.

You need to be walking in salt water for the lower HF bands but this is much less important on higher frequencies.

Latest use of it at

 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaNhcVEJjmo

Richard Andrew Knack

Yeah, I need something that is NOT salt-water dependent for performance. Nearest salt water is over a thousand miles away, for me...LOTS of fresh water, though!

Rich
KC8MWG

On Friday, November 24, 2017, 12:20:43 PM EST, Peter Parker <vk3ye@...> wrote:

I'm biased, but I'd have to go with the Wadetenna described at http://home.alphalink.com.au/~parkerp/projects/projwade.htm .  Build it for <$50.  Great performance on all bands 7 - 50 MHz.

You need to be walking in salt water for the lower HF bands but this is much less important on higher frequencies.

Latest use of it at

 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaNhcVEJjmo

Mel Farrer, K6KBE

Hey Rich,

Is this for a portable set up, that is like camping or walking mobile?  One weekend, we were camping and the results on 40 were not good, and I spy'd the roll of aluminum foil.  You guesses it.  I rolled out >30 feet and tied it to the ground terminal.  l just layed the foil on the ground and put rocks on it to hold it down.  When finished I just rolled it back up for next time.  Worked great.

Mel, K6KBE

Yeah, I need something that is NOT salt-water dependent for performance. Nearest salt water is over a thousand miles away, for me...LOTS of fresh water, though!

Rich
KC8MWG
On Friday, November 24, 2017, 12:20:43 PM EST, Peter Parker <vk3ye@...> wrote:

I'm biased, but I'd have to go with the Wadetenna described at http://home.alphalink.com.au/~parkerp/projects/projwade.htm .  Build it for <$50.  Great performance on all bands 7 - 50 MHz.
You need to be walking in salt water for the lower HF bands but this is much less important on higher frequencies.
Latest use of it at

 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaNhcVEJjmo

Richard Andrew Knack

Pedestrian mobile. I already have a Blue Star P1 I can set up for ultra-compact portable use on 80m-10m. I was looking for something I can use on HF while actively hiking.

Rich
KC8MWG

On Friday, November 24, 2017, 1:50:33 PM EST, Mel Farrer via Groups.Io <farrerfolks@...> wrote:

[...]

ERB