Topics

Zip databases and logbook error 503

Martin J.K.

Hi Bob

I regularly backup my logbook to ZIP file clicking on Zip Logbook icon
and verify ZIP file after each backup.

All is OK although version  .392 reports error in ZIP file:
 ''Unsuccessful. Error # 503 occurred. Description :  Cannot open zip file.''

OS is Windows 7 Professional 64-bit.

The backup file name is LOGBOOKBACKUP_9A2JK_FULL_011.ZIP
size of around 13 k and I CAN open it.

It looks OK for me but I am not sure.
There are 24 files in it:

Log\9A2JK.ism
Log\9A2JK.isd
Log\9A2JK.isf
offset32.isd
offset32.ism
Alias32.isd
Alias32.isf
Alias32.ism
IOTAIsland32.isd
IOTAIsland32.ism
IOTAIsland32.isf
IOTA32.isd
IOTA32.ism
Country32.isd
Country32.ism
IOTA32.isf
Country32.isf
PrimaryAdmin32.isd
PrimaryAdmin32.ism
offset32.isf
SecondaryAdmin32.isd
SecondaryAdmin32.ism
SecondaryAdmin32.isf
PrimaryAdmin32.isf

=================
BTW Backup user file verifies without error.

LOGGER32BACKUP.ZIP:

Logger32.INI
MyBandMode32.db
MMVARISoundCardMacros.ini
SoundCardMacros.ini
TelnetAddresses.INI
DataTerminal.ini
RadioPanel.ini
UserPara.ini
Arrlsect.db
BandMode32.db

It is not a problem for me as long as all files are in backup zip file.
Thank you for a great software.

73
Martin 9A2JK

Bob

There have been no changes to the backup process for many years, and certainly noting done for version 3.50.392. So, what is not working? I suspect your PC security settings or anti-virus software is preventing Logger32 from renaming/deleting older copies of your backup.zip files. So the backup process just created _011.ZIP. Logger32 tried to rename it to _010.ZIP (and rename all the other old backups as well). Clicking the VERIFY button fails because it is looking for a file _010.ZIP that doesn't exist. SeventyThree(s).

On August 21, 2019 at 4:10 AM "Martin J.K." <martin.svaco@...> wrote:

[...]

Bob, I have been running this PC as standard user for some time without any troubles.
UAC was set to default.

I have turned off the UAC (to ''Never notify'') now.
Also I set up ''Run this program as an administrator'' now.

All is OK. No more error messages.

Now, I am running this PC as standard user, UAC off and Logger32 as administrator.
The only nuisance is that I have to provide administrator password every time I start Logger32.
But it is only one time per day and I can live with that.

Thanks again and 73
Martin 9A2JK

On 21.8.2019. 13:03, Bob wrote:

[...]

Try this: With Windows explorer, find Logger32.exe in the \Logger32 directory. Right click on the Logger32.exe icon. From the menu choose PROPERTIES. When the properties window opens, select the COMPATIBILITY tab. Click the CHANGE SETTINGS FOR ALL USERS button. When the new Window opens, check the  RUN THIS PROGRAM AS AN ADMINISTRATOR option. Click APPLY then OK. Then click OK to close the properties window. Now Logger32 will automagically run as an administrator when it starts. SeventyThree(s).

On 21.8.2019. 13:03, Bob wrote:

[...]

I did exactly as instructed but still I have to provide administrator password.
I think that I have messed up something in administrator and standard user set up while installing
Windows 7 on this PC about a year ago. As everything else is working OK (or I think so) providing
admin password is not a trouble for me.

Thanks and 73
Martin 9A2JK

On 21.8.2019. 13:03, Bob wrote:

[...]

Jim Altman

Yes, you are not an administrator.  Go to Control Panel -> Users -> your username -> properties and give yourself administrative privileges.  No more password required.

Jim Altman

jaltman636@...

On 21.8.2019. 13:03, Bob wrote:

[...]

Jim M.

Another thing to consider was that I had a similar issue with my Windows 7 desktop, and I blame a recent windows update that didn't load properly.  No problems with my Windows 10 desktop and laptop, just the old computer I keep around for the serial ports, etc.  I expect more issues with windows 7 as they close out support for it at then end of the year.

73, Jim M. w2dsx

Martin J.K.

Jim, I have two users accounts on my PC: admin and standard user.
I normally work as a standard user.

Bob, I was to early with conclusion.
After setting L32 to run as admin ***and after hardware reset***
the L32 is not asking for admin password anymore.

Now, when starting L32 I have another error message:

Registry problem?
Unable to locate Time Zones information in Registry under the key:
Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Time Zones

I have to click on OK for L32 to open.
After that it seems that all is OK except one thing.

L32 shows correct local and UTC time but when I right click on L32
time (in left lower corner) I have new error message:

Run-time error '5':
Invalid procedure call or argument.

Clicking on OK crashes the program.

73
Martin 9A2JK

On 21.8.2019. 13:03, Bob wrote:

[...]

Right mouse click on the clock in the lower right hand corner of the screen.  Go to ‘Adjust Date/Time’, check your time zone settings.

Jim Altman

jaltman636@...

On 21.8.2019. 13:03, Bob wrote:

[...]

Jim, L32 displays correct local and UTC time.
Right mouse click on the clock in the right hand corner of the screen crashes Logger32 with error message:

Run-time error '5':
Invalid procedure call or argument.

Thanks anyway.

73
Martin 9A2JK

On 21.8.2019. 13:03, Bob wrote:

[...]

Ummm, that’s weird.  I am talking about the windows clock.  Try it without l32 open.  Its access to the clock (perhaps among other reasons) that requires the Admin privileges in l32.

73

Jim Altman

jaltman636@...

On 21.8.2019. 13:03, Bob wrote:

[...]

Martin, first you fix the registry ... The error message is explicit:

Registry problem?
Unable to locate Time Zones information in Registry under the key:
Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Time Zones

With no time zone information, many of the timekeeping functions of Logger32 will not work. 73.

On 21.8.2019. 13:03, Bob wrote:

[...]

Martin, I have looked at the code carefully. When you right click on the Logger32 time pane (at the left of the lower status bar) it shows three menu options. But, before it shows the menus, it tries to load the time zones from the registry again - This is to make sure the user has not changed any PC time zone settings. So, it appears you PC is not allowing Logger32 to read the time zone registry entries. I assume this has not always been the case otherwise you would have seen this before ... this again all points to the security/anti-virus settings on your PC. SeventyThree(s).

On 21.8.2019. 13:03, Bob wrote:

[...]

My apology Jim.
I was talking about Logger32 clock,  **left** hand corner of Logger32 window.

Thanks and 73
Martin 9A2JK

On 21.8.2019. 13:03, Bob wrote:

[...]

Thanks Bob.
I have to ask for help from my friend who is much better
with computers than me.

73
Martin 9A2JK