Yaesu FT990 & Logger32

Charles

Hi all,
         Does anyone still use this combination of Transceiver with Logger32? 

I have the CAT cable attached and the 'CAT system' light in the 990 display both illuminates and flashes, but I can't get the connection in Logger32.

I have tried several combinations of data but currently I have;

COM 8 
Baud 4800
DataBits 8
StopBits 2
Parity None
DTR and RTS ticked.

Any advice would be welcome please,

Thank you,

With kindest regards,

Charles

Charles Wilmott (MØOXO)
60 Church Hill,
Royston, Barnsley,
South Yorkshire, S71 4NG
England, United Kingdom

Tel ; (+44) 7900 500775

The information in this internet email is copyright of Charles Wilmott, confidential and is intended solely for the addressee(s). Any views expressed in this e-mail are those of Charles Wilmott only, except where the sender specifically states these to be his own views. Access, copying, dissemination to or re-use of information in it to or by anyone else is unauthorised.

Albert Crespo

Change the Baud to 32000.

On Apr 29, 2022, at 19:18, Charles <charles.wilmott@...> wrote:

Hi all,

I have the CAT cable attached and the 'CAT system' light in the 990 display both illuminates and flashes, but I can't get the connection in Logger32.

COM 8 
Baud 4800
DataBits 8
StopBits 2
Parity None
DTR and RTS ticked.

Thank you,

With kindest regards,

Charles

Charles Wilmott (MØOXO)
60 Church Hill,
Royston, Barnsley,
South Yorkshire, S71 4NG
England, United Kingdom

Tel ; (+44) 7900 500775

The information in this internet email is copyright of Charles Wilmott, confidential and is intended solely for the addressee(s). Any views expressed in this e-mail are those of Charles Wilmott only, except where the sender specifically states these to be his own views. Access, copying, dissemination to or re-use of information in it to or by anyone else is unauthorised.

Bob

How 'bout page 856 of the help file? SeventyThree(s).

On 04/29/2022 2:18 PM Charles <charles.wilmott@...> wrote:

Hi all,

COM 8 
Baud 4800
DataBits 8
StopBits 2
Parity None
DTR and RTS ticked.

Thank you,

With kindest regards,

Charles

Charles Wilmott (MØOXO)
60 Church Hill,
Royston, Barnsley,
South Yorkshire, S71 4NG
England, United Kingdom

Tel ; (+44) 7900 500775

LZ1QV

HI Charles,

Attached my configuration.
Works flawlessly for years.

73's Deko LZ1QV

On Fri, 29 Apr 2022 at 21:18, Charles <charles.wilmott@...> wrote:
Hi all,

COM 8 
Baud 4800
DataBits 8
StopBits 2
Parity None
DTR and RTS ticked.

Thank you,

With kindest regards,

Charles

Charles Wilmott (MØOXO)
60 Church Hill,
Royston, Barnsley,
South Yorkshire, S71 4NG
England, United Kingdom

Tel ; (+44) 7900 500775

Charles

Thank you I'll try.

Charles

The help file was no use hence the message on here for additional help.

Charles

Thank you Deko, I appreciate the response and I'll check against your settings.

Thank you,

Telesforo Figueroa

I used to have the same situation with my FT1000MP, but found out that L32 do not support such an old radio. However, Yours in new. It should connect.
Did you try new or update your cable drivers?
Hope you can solve that situation soon.
Good luck
Tele
KP4P 

From: hamlogger@groups.io <hamlogger@groups.io> on behalf of Charles <charles.wilmott@...>
Sent: Saturday, April 30, 2022 8:06:59 AM
To: hamlogger@groups.io <hamlogger@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [hamlogger] Yaesu FT990 & Logger32

Thank you,

Gary Hinson

There was nothing of value in the 900 pages, Charles, not even in the “Radio control (CAT)” chapter 12, nor the 225 pages of section D? 

The User Manual provides instructions and advice on configuring and using the CAT function – in general – plus specific advice on the CAT port settings and commands for various radios. 

There’s a whole page dedicated to the FT-990 (with the hyphen!*) within the Yaesu chapter 52.

At the end of CAT chapter 12, the first FAQ in 12.4 gives a page and half of advice on what to do when your CAT is playing up.  The first bullet links readers to section 12.2 on the radio debug window, where there are detailed instructions (with pictures) on how to diagnose CAT connection problems.

Short of writing a chapter for each Logger32 user or popping over to your shack with a breakout box and scope, I’m unclear how the manual can be improved … but I’m always open to suggestions  😊

* Actually, that hints at an issue: although Yaesu ‘officially’ names its radios with the embedded hyphen, we often refer to them without.  Unfortunately, despite being case-insensitive, [some?] Acrobat search functions only find exact matches for the search strings we enter, so “FT990” and “FT-990” are distinct, at least in Adobe Acrobat Reader DC (64-bit) running on my PC.  Perhaps I should add the un-hyphenated name to the hyphenated title for each radio’s section within the Yaesu chapter, so searching with either version will both work?  And maybe I should add an instruction, somewhere, to look up the full name of your radio as embossed on the front panel, or try shortened versions, or just thumb through the chapter for the particular brand of radio you are using in the hope of finding ‘something of use’.

Gary  ZL2iFB

From: hamlogger@groups.io <hamlogger@groups.io> On Behalf Of Charles
Sent: Sunday, 1 May 2022 1:06 am
To: hamlogger@groups.io

The help file was no use hence the message on here for additional help.

Ken McVie

Tele, this statement that Logger32 won't work with a FT1000MP  is completely false. Please don't spread fake news.
FYI I have L32 working on a FT1000D which is an earlier radio than yours. And I also had it working on the same radio as you have.
Ken ZL4NR

On Sun, 1 May 2022, 04:44 Telesforo Figueroa, <kp4p@...> wrote:
I used to have the same situation with my FT1000MP, but found out that L32 do not support such an old radio. However, Yours in new. It should connect.
Good luck
Tele
KP4P 

From: hamlogger@groups.io <hamlogger@groups.io> on behalf of Charles <charles.wilmott@...>

Thank you,

Telesforo Figueroa

Hi Ken:
Sorry about the statement. Well, I read it in a Forum somewhere in the Web. I Apologize to you and to anyone else who felt so.
Would you please share your Radio configuration file, if possible?
Even though I have two more Yaesus, (FTDX10 and FT897D), I have always prefer to use the 1000MP for its roughness and solid with any type of antennas.
And believe me, next time I will get more info on statement like that. It was not my intention to spread “fake news”, and I think nobody else have that intention, especially in a gentleperson’s hobby so wonderful like Ham Radio.
Regards,
Tele

From: hamlogger@groups.io <hamlogger@groups.io> on behalf of Ken McVie <kenmcvie2@...>
Sent: Saturday, April 30, 2022 4:32:09 PM

Tele, this statement that Logger32 won't work with a FT1000MP  is completely false. Please don't spread fake news.
FYI I have L32 working on a FT1000D which is an earlier radio than yours. And I also had it working on the same radio as you have.
Ken ZL4NR

Good luck
Tele
KP4P 

Thank you,

Ken McVie

Hi Tele, I no longer have the Ft1000MP so can't really help with that one. But I use the external FIF232 box (I think that's what it's called. I'm not at home , I'm on holiday so can't check) for the CAT connection on the FT1000D. Both radios were easy to set up, maybe you could post what is not working for you, and the group can help sort you out.
Ken ZL4NR 

On Sun, 1 May 2022, 09:48 Telesforo Figueroa, <kp4p@...> wrote:
Hi Ken:
Sorry about the statement. Well, I read it in a Forum somewhere in the Web. I Apologize to you and to anyone else who felt so.
Even though I have two more Yaesus, (FTDX10 and FT897D), I have always prefer to use the 1000MP for its roughness and solid with any type of antennas.
And believe me, next time I will get more info on statement like that. It was not my intention to spread “fake news”, and I think nobody else have that intention, especially in a gentleperson’s hobby so wonderful like Ham Radio.
Regards,
Tele

From: hamlogger@groups.io <hamlogger@groups.io> on behalf of Ken McVie <kenmcvie2@...>

Ken ZL4NR

Good luck
Tele
KP4P 

Thank you,

ja1nlx

Tele

I used FT-1000MP many years ago and it worked fine with Logger32.
FT-1000MP has RS232C serial connector for CAT so you can connect
directly to PC RS232C connector or to USB port via serial/USB adapter.
No other interface needed.

If your FT-1000MP does not work then you have to check this.
a) internal problem in FT-1000MP
b) serial/USB adapter does not work (if used)

73 de aki
JA1NLX

------ Original Message ------
Sent: 2022/05/01 6:48:44

Hi Ken:
Regards,
Tele

Ken ZL4NR

Good luck
Tele
KP4P 

Thank you,

Telesforo Figueroa

Hi Aki:
Thanks for the advise. My FT1000MP connect perfectly with HRD, SD contest logger and N3JFT logging prog.

I am using both, a DB9 to DB9 cable and a RS232 cable with a USB adapter. Both work very good with the mentioned programs but not with Logger32.

So, I will check and buy another RS232 to USB adapter and see what happens.

Also will check if anything  wrong with the radio.

I have started using  L32 again and really is a "Super Program".

The reason I want to use the 1000MP is that I am now using wires and this radio is very tough on this type of antennas.

Thanks
Tele
KP4P 

From: hamlogger@groups.io <hamlogger@groups.io> on behalf of ja1nlx <ayoshida0205@...>
Sent: Saturday, April 30, 2022 5:18:03 PM
To: Hanlogger <hamlogger@groups.io>

Tele

73 de aki
JA1NLX

Hi Ken:
Regards,
Tele

Ken ZL4NR

Good luck
Tele
KP4P 

Thank you,

ja1nlx

Tele

One more suggestion although I do not remember......

Check "Set DTR/RTS high" in Logger32 radio setup table.

73 de aki
JA1NLX

Sent: 2022/05/01 10:50:07

Hi Aki:
Thanks for the advise. My FT1000MP connect perfectly with HRD, SD contest logger and N3JFT logging prog.

I am using both, a DB9 to DB9 cable and a RS232 cable with a USB adapter. Both work very good with the mentioned programs but not with Logger32.

So, I will check and buy another RS232 to USB adapter and see what happens.

Also will check if anything  wrong with the radio.

I have started using  L32 again and really is a "Super Program".

The reason I want to use the 1000MP is that I am now using wires and this radio is very tough on this type of antennas.

Thanks
Tele
KP4P 

From: hamlogger@groups.io <hamlogger@groups.io> on behalf of ja1nlx <ayoshida0205@...>
Sent: Saturday, April 30, 2022 5:18:03 PM
To: Hanlogger <hamlogger@groups.io>

Tele

73 de aki
JA1NLX

Hi Ken:
Regards,
Tele

Ken ZL4NR

Good luck
Tele
KP4P 

Thank you,

Darren Collins (G0TSM)

Hello Charles. Does the 990 work with other logging programs? I had a 990 and I recall I had to get Yaesu UK to upgrade the ROM so the CAT would work properly.

73 Darren G0TSM

Sent: 30 April 2022 14:07

Thank you,

Telesforo Figueroa

Hi Ken: The Yaesu FIF-232 Box is very difficult to find one, even in eBay prices are up in the $200.00, if lucky to find one.  Thank you for your info.  Now I have some hopes, hi, hi.
I am going to try what Aki just suggest me.

There is a UK cable distribuitor, that have good reviews in selling those cables. I"ll give a try.

On the meantime, will keep using/enjoying the other radios and Logger 32.
Probably, or for sure, the problems are not the radio or the cables, but the person sitting behind them.
Thanks for your time. Really appreciated.
Tele
KP4P 

From: hamlogger@groups.io <hamlogger@groups.io> on behalf of Darren Collins (G0TSM) <daz@...>
Sent: Sunday, May 1, 2022 6:22:07 AM

Hello Charles. Does the 990 work with other logging programs? I had a 990 and I recall I had to get Yaesu UK to upgrade the ROM so the CAT would work properly.

73 Darren G0TSM

Thank you,

Telesforo Figueroa

Aki:
Hello.
I tried setting ""Set DTR/RTS high" in Logger32 radio , but did not work.
Thank you. I'll keep on trying.
Tele

From: hamlogger@groups.io <hamlogger@groups.io> on behalf of Telesforo Figueroa <kp4p@...>
Sent: Sunday, May 1, 2022 9:51:17 AM

Hi Ken: The Yaesu FIF-232 Box is very difficult to find one, even in eBay prices are up in the $200.00, if lucky to find one.  Thank you for your info.  Now I have some hopes, hi, hi.

There is a UK cable distribuitor, that have good reviews in selling those cables. I"ll give a try.

Probably, or for sure, the problems are not the radio or the cables, but the person sitting behind them.
Tele
KP4P 

From: hamlogger@groups.io <hamlogger@groups.io> on behalf of Darren Collins (G0TSM) <daz@...>

73 Darren G0TSM

Thank you,

Charles

Hi Darren, it's work in progress at the local club. I downloaded Log4OM on Friday but I haven't had the opportunity to try it yet. I'll drop you a line when I have but of course I want to use L32 preferably.

Thanks, Charles

Telesforo Figueroa

Hello Ken:

I finally found and bought a FIF-232C and it is on its way. Real good price.

Would you spare some of your time and let me know the set-up you had with the Yaesu FT100MP?

Even though I have not received the FIF232C yet, I looked at the very short instructions manual on the web and it is not too explicit on details.

Please, not in a hurry.

Thanks,

Tele

KP4P

From: hamlogger@groups.io <hamlogger@groups.io> On Behalf Of Telesforo Figueroa
Sent: Sunday, May 1, 2022 9:51 AM

Tele

KP4P 

73 Darren G0TSM

Thank you,