Topics

WinXP autopdate

Vytenis LY2KZ

Hi guys, I'm looking why program and clublog country call files does not autopudate on Windows XP machine. Although I was able to update program manually, There is no firewall enabled now and there is no antivirus at the moment (don't ask me why - its not my PC)
Should autoupdate work as it is on Win7,8,10... ?

Thank you

Vytenis LY2KZ

ik2agx

Hi Vytenis,

ClubLog owner consider WinXP unsecure (may be he is right, don't know) and therefore
do not allow it to connect to ClubLog and download files (the same happens with LoTW users list).

You need to update WinXP manually from files downloaded from a PC with a modern OS.

73, Dave

Vytenis LY2KZ

Thanks for information Dave,
Thats about Clublog. What about Logger32 autoupdate? Same situation? Too old - not secure - support dropped?

Br,

Vytenis

Larry Fravel

Clark -

Thanks for your insight.  Dave suggested the same thing last night.  Since the RR wasn't logged UDP did not transfer the QSO into logger.  I went back and searched through the raw text file in JTDX , found the exchanges and  logged the last set of reports.  There were three of them.  from me to them and two from them.  I Checked earlier to day and the only QSO in the log for me was a 40 CW that i thought was extremely iffy because I could not copy the 599 very well.   I do need them on 40 CW so that is good.  However, the 12 meter CW that I clearly copied my call in the answer and the 599 report plus the TU is not.  Of course the 6 FT8 wasn't there either.  I will give it a couple of days and then contact them with the QSO details for both and see what happens.

Larry k8YYY

--
"If you believe them when they say you are great, then you got to believe them when they say you suck." Frank Reagan - Blue Bloods

Larry Fravel

Sorry, this went to the wrong group.  Please ignore.

Larry K8YYY

--
"If you believe them when they say you are great, then you got to believe them when they say you suck." Frank Reagan - Blue Bloods

Bob

Larry, I don't have the full context of this thread, but maybe this information will help. Logger32 keeps a file called UDP LOGGING REQUESTS.TXT. The file provides limited information about all the UDP LOG Request messages. If you think you missed logging a QSO, take a peek in this simple edit file. NOTE: Every time Logger32 is started the old file is deleted. Hope it helps.

Sample text: Logging request from WSJT-X on 08 Aug 2019 at 19:22:05 for N9KW on 14.0815 20M/FT4

SeventyThree(s).

On August 8, 2019 at 1:07 PM Larry Fravel <lfravel@...> wrote:

[...]

Gary Hinson

Yes Vytenis.

A key issue with Windows XP is that it lacks the ‘elliptic curve’ encryption capabilities needed for today’s HTTPS: and other stuff.  The encryption algorithms, standards and protocols are updated/replaced from time to time to stay ahead of the black hats exploiting vulnerabilities that eventually come to light.  Updates require changes in the operating systems and other software, sometimes the hardware too (modern cryptography generally requires heavy-duty processing: the old steam-powered CPUs are really not up to it, and faster, more recent CPUs require numerous changes).  Microsoft has more than enough work to do maintaining current and recent versions of Windows (including, by the way, the commercial versions running on data centre servers, not just the desktop versions some of us use), as well as working on future versions, so not unreasonably they dropped support for XP FIVE YEARS AGO when it was already 12 years old.  They were open about it, gave loads of advance warning and handled the whole process professionally, as far as I can see, even allowing some commercial customers to pay for additional updates if they were unable to migrate off XP in time.

The same thing will happen with later versions of Windows in due course: Windows 7 and 8 are already retired, oh and Vista, and MS-DOS, Windows 3, Windows NT and other museum pieces knocking around in the bottom of Bill Gates’ junkbox.  The old stuff eventually becomes uneconomic to support.  As with boat anchor rigs and vintage cars, some enthusiasts will continue using the old stuff even without the suppliers’ support … but they need to be willing to put up with lacklustre performance, increasing failures at the plughole end of the bathtub curve (including unpatched well known security vulnerabilities), and to source or fabricate spare parts from pure Unobtanium.

If anyone knows where to find an FT4 module for my Difference Engine, please mail me the catalogue …

73,

Gary   ZL2iFB

Thats about Clublog. What about Logger32 autoupdate? Same situation? Too old - not secure - support dropped?

Br,

Vytenis

Larry Fravel

Bob

Thanks for the info but I found what i needed in the JTDX raw text file. It keeps one by month.

Larry K8YYY

--
"If you believe them when they say you are great, then you got to believe them when they say you suck." Frank Reagan - Blue Bloods

Vytenis LY2KZ

Thank you Gary. I liked your WinXP comparison to vintage cars. Will forward it to this PC owner to encourage him upgrading.
Myself, will stick to Win7 as long as possible. Love it more than any other newer OS, including all flavors of Win10. Or, I just may need more time to get in love with Win10?..

73
Vytenis LY2KZ

Gary Hinson

You’re welcome Vytenis.

I’ve stuck with Windows 8.1 using a neat little program called “Start 8” to emulate the Windows 7 start menu and desktop.  I abhor the Windows 10 tiles etc. designed, I think, for fat-fingered drunkards to swipe vaguely at the touch screen on a smartphone, tablet PC or kiosk.  Anyone who dares to touch my pristine LCD screen gets a slap!

I’m kinda hoping that Windows 11, Windows 2020, Windows NG, Double Glazed or whatever they call it might be an improvement over Windows 10.  It’s much the same as when voting for the next government.  “Surely they can’t be any worse” we mutter to ourselves in the voting booth.  And, sure as eggs is eggs, they are …

But, like it or not, the world turns.

73,

Gary The Cynic

ZL2iFB