Topics

W10 New PC install File Registration problems

Paul Bigwood

Hi All,

looked for this on the forum, but not found anything.

New Win10 Home PC for the shack and downloaded Logger32 and unpacked zip to local drive and run Setup.exe as administrator.

Install fails with "an error occurred while registering the file 'C:\Logger32\MZTool3.dll' " with Abort Retry or Ignore. Clicking on Ignore installation completes OK but when runs fails with "Bad File Name or Number" error. Clicking OK goes to the main screen with QRX Waiting message that never clears.

I have used Logger 32 for years and my logbooks are stored on the old computer ( Win10 also but Pro), so nothing is lost.

Any ideas how to solve appreciated.

73 de Paul G3WYW

Bob

Just ignore the error. My error, MZTool.dll should not have been included in the package. SeventyThree(s).

On July 13, 2019 at 10:51 AM Paul Bigwood <paul@...> wrote:

Hi All,

looked for this on the forum, but not found anything.

New Win10 Home PC for the shack and downloaded Logger32 and unpacked zip to local drive and run Setup.exe as administrator.

Install fails with "an error occurred while registering the file 'C:\Logger32\MZTool3.dll' " with Abort Retry or Ignore. Clicking on Ignore installation completes OK but when runs fails with "Bad File Name or Number" error. Clicking OK goes to the main screen with QRX Waiting message that never clears.

I have used Logger 32 for years and my logbooks are stored on the old computer ( Win10 also but Pro), so nothing is lost.

Any ideas how to solve appreciated.

73 de Paul G3WYW

Bob

The "Bad File Name or Number" is something different, and from what you describe, Logger32 is trying to update to the latest version, but you are not running it as an administrator. SeventyThree(s).

On July 13, 2019 at 10:51 AM Paul Bigwood <paul@...> wrote:

Hi All,

looked for this on the forum, but not found anything.

New Win10 Home PC for the shack and downloaded Logger32 and unpacked zip to local drive and run Setup.exe as administrator.

Install fails with "an error occurred while registering the file 'C:\Logger32\MZTool3.dll' " with Abort Retry or Ignore. Clicking on Ignore installation completes OK but when runs fails with "Bad File Name or Number" error. Clicking OK goes to the main screen with QRX Waiting message that never clears.

I have used Logger 32 for years and my logbooks are stored on the old computer ( Win10 also but Pro), so nothing is lost.

Any ideas how to solve appreciated.

73 de Paul G3WYW

Paul Bigwood

OK thanks Bob, I thought they were related. I'll check it as an administrator.

73s de Paul G3WYW

Paul Bigwood

OK now working after using paper logging for a while.

I realised that I had not read you reply correctly. Running the application first time as an administrator is critical with the protection that Windows puts on everything these days.

Now installed and busy reloading my QSO database.

Thanks for the help and I must read a bit more carefully!

73 de Pau; G3WYW

Jim Hargrave

Paul,

Just a suggestion…

You can save a lot of time loading  paper QSO’s by using “Fast Log Entry” by DF3CB.

It produces an ADIF file that you can import into Logger32.

https://www.df3cb.com/fle/

Jim – w5ifp-

OK now working after using paper logging for a while.

I realised that I had not read you reply correctly. Running the application first time as an administrator is critical with the protection that Windows puts on everything these days.

Now installed and busy reloading my QSO database.

Thanks for the help and I must read a bit more carefully!

73 de Pau; G3WYW

Paul Bigwood

Thanks Jim,

Yes it's a great way to enter QSOs from a paper log.

Fortunately my old L32 database  was intact and now loaded ok. It just the 3 months of QSOs to do.

I have now made L32 a trusted application and allowed it access to the program folder, with  controlled folder access enabled again and W10 has stopped complaining!

73 Paul