Uninstall and Reinstall Latest version


Jerry Spring
 

I have been running V4.254 for a long time.  Can someone send me instructions on how to do a complete uninstall and re-install and also keep my previous settings, as well as 3rd party plug-ins? I just use QRZ.com and WSJT-X.  I have never been able to get the automatic updates to work after loading V4.0 and have never had the Help working for any previous version.  Hence the reason for the new install. Thanks.

Jerry VE6TL


Bob
 

Uninstall/reinstall will almost certainly not solve the problems you report.

Explain I have never been able to get the automatic updates to work after loading V4.0 ... Are you not prompted when a new version is available, or does the update fail to install? What version are you currently running?

For the help file, click the Help menu. Click Setup Help menu options. On the topmost row of entry fields type Help in the menu caption box, https://www.logger32.net/files/Logger32_v4_User_Manual.pdf in the Help URL box, check the visible option, and click Apply. No when you click Help and choose the Help option, the Help file should load.

SeventyThree(s).


On 04/30/2022 12:23 AM Jerry Spring <jspring@...> wrote:


I have been running V4.254 for a long time.  Can someone send me instructions on how to do a complete uninstall and re-install and also keep my previous settings, as well as 3rd party plug-ins? I just use QRZ.com and WSJT-X.  I have never been able to get the automatic updates to work after loading V4.0 and have never had the Help working for any previous version.  Hence the reason for the new install. Thanks.

Jerry VE6TL


Jerry Spring
 

I am running V4.254.  I've always received an error message when trying to find the updates - site not found.  We've been through this before with numerous postings back and forth and I finally gave up (about a year ago) as the updates are not visible for download from the website.  I don't want to keep bothering people with asking for the updates.  And ever since my first install of L32 over 10 years ago, clicking on Help only gave me an error message about something not being found.  This is why I would like to do a complete re-install.  But I don't want to lose any data, formatting or third party access. 

Thanks. 


Bob
 

Do this:

Make an ADIF backup of your logs.
Make a backup of the Logger32.INI file.
Go to www.logger32.net and download Logger32 full v4.0
Install it over the top of the existing Logger32 (no need to uninstall).
What do you see now?

SeventyThree(s).

On 04/30/2022 10:16 AM Jerry Spring <jspring@...> wrote:


I am running V4.254.  I've always received an error message when trying to find the updates - site not found.  We've been through this before with numerous postings back and forth and I finally gave up (about a year ago) as the updates are not visible for download from the website.  I don't want to keep bothering people with asking for the updates.  And ever since my first install of L32 over 10 years ago, clicking on Help only gave me an error message about something not being found.  This is why I would like to do a complete re-install.  But I don't want to lose any data, formatting or third party access. 

Thanks. 


Jerry Spring
 

Bob,

I backed up everything and reinstalled it.  Logger32 was running in a directory called C:\HamPrograms\Logger32 so I  installed the new version in the same directory.  It installed and said it was v4.0.289.  It then asked me for my callsign and started afresh.  It obviously didn't find my .ini files nor my database.  A few moments later, it said it couldn't find the update directory (same error message since I went to v4.0).  Now what?

Jerry


Kenneth Hansen
 

I believe it should be installed in C:\ only, that’s where mine is, and never had a problem with it.

de KB2SSE 

On Tue, May 3, 2022 at 5:43 PM Jerry Spring <jspring@...> wrote:
Bob,

I backed up everything and reinstalled it.  Logger32 was running in a directory called C:\HamPrograms\Logger32 so I  installed the new version in the same directory.  It installed and said it was v4.0.289.  It then asked me for my callsign and started afresh.  It obviously didn't find my .ini files nor my database.  A few moments later, it said it couldn't find the update directory (same error message since I went to v4.0).  Now what?

Jerry


Vince Shirley
 

Not so.

Mine had always been installed - on this machine anyway - on my drive D:\  with no issues.  Makes transferring it to another machine in the event of a Drive C: crash much easier.

Vince

On Tue, 3 May 2022 at 22:57, Kenneth Hansen <kb2sse@...> wrote:
I believe it should be installed in C:\ only, that’s where mine is, and never had a problem with it.

de KB2SSE 

On Tue, May 3, 2022 at 5:43 PM Jerry Spring <jspring@...> wrote:
Bob,

I backed up everything and reinstalled it.  Logger32 was running in a directory called C:\HamPrograms\Logger32 so I  installed the new version in the same directory.  It installed and said it was v4.0.289.  It then asked me for my callsign and started afresh.  It obviously didn't find my .ini files nor my database.  A few moments later, it said it couldn't find the update directory (same error message since I went to v4.0).  Now what?

Jerry


Jerry Spring
 

I saw my mistake and deleted the new install and re-installed it over the older version, just in the C:\HamPrograms directory.  It now found all my data and .ini files.  It also came up as v4.0.289.  The good news is the help is now working (it downloaded the April 2022 manual in pdf form).  The bad news is that I still get the same error message when automatically looking for the updates:  "No reply from https://ww1.Loger32.net/autoupdates etc."  When I first started having this issue (after upgrading from V3.5 to v4.0), I went through all the steps in the manual and made sure all permissions were properly set.  Nothing seemed to help the situation and the matter was blamed on my PC.  It probably still is the case that my PC is incapable of accessing that file no matter what the settings are.

Thank you again for all the help.  It does look like I've made some progress.

Jerry VE6TL


Bob
 

See the second Q on page 64 of the help file. The current version is 4.0.293, so replace the NNN with 293. SeventyThrees.

On 05/03/2022 6:06 PM Jerry Spring <jspring@...> wrote:


I saw my mistake and deleted the new install and re-installed it over the older version, just in the C:\HamPrograms directory.  It now found all my data and .ini files.  It also came up as v4.0.289.  The good news is the help is now working (it downloaded the April 2022 manual in pdf form).  The bad news is that I still get the same error message when automatically looking for the updates:  "No reply from https://ww1.Loger32.net/autoupdates etc."  When I first started having this issue (after upgrading from V3.5 to v4.0), I went through all the steps in the manual and made sure all permissions were properly set.  Nothing seemed to help the situation and the matter was blamed on my PC.  It probably still is the case that my PC is incapable of accessing that file no matter what the settings are.

Thank you again for all the help.  It does look like I've made some progress.

Jerry VE6TL


Jerry Spring
 

Thanks Bob.  I downloaded and installed V4.0.293.  Works well.  So I take it there is no way to fix the auto updates. 

Jerry VE6TL


Bob
 


Your browser should return the latest update 4.0.293. If it does, then your PC is blocking Logger32 from accessing that URL and you need to correct the problem. SeventyThree(s). 

On 05/04/2022 10:48 AM Jerry Spring <jspring@...> wrote:


Thanks Bob.  I downloaded and installed V4.0.293.  Works well.  So I take it there is no way to fix the auto updates. 

Jerry VE6TL


Jerry Spring
 

The auto updates are finally working.  It turned out to be a security setting in Microsoft Internet Explorer, which I never use.  Apparently, IE is a necessary part of all Windows operating systems for this reason.  All Internet security goes through it, regardless of which browser you are running.  Wish someone had pointed this out in the Logger32 help. 


Bob
 

Jerry, if you say so, but I'm not convinced. SeventyThree(s).

On 05/22/2022 3:44 PM Jerry Spring <jspring@...> wrote:


The auto updates are finally working.  It turned out to be a security setting in Microsoft Internet Explorer, which I never use.  Apparently, IE is a necessary part of all Windows operating systems for this reason.  All Internet security goes through it, regardless of which browser you are running.  Wish someone had pointed this out in the Logger32 help. 


Gary Hinson
 

I’ll gladly update the help/User Manual Jerry … but I’ll need more clues about that IE setting, please.  Is it something to do with TLS/SSL?  And what version of Windows are you running, please?

 

73

Gary  ZL2iFB

 

From: hamlogger@groups.io <hamlogger@groups.io> On Behalf Of Jerry Spring
Sent: Monday, 23 May 2022 7:44 am
To: hamlogger@groups.io
Subject: Re: [hamlogger] Uninstall and Reinstall Latest version

 

The auto updates are finally working.  It turned out to be a security setting in Microsoft Internet Explorer, which I never use.  Apparently, IE is a necessary part of all Windows operating systems for this reason.  All Internet security goes through it, regardless of which browser you are running.  Wish someone had pointed this out in the Logger32 help. 


Gary Hinson
 

Unless I missed it, no response from Jerry means no progress on this.

 

My clairvoyant skills are sadly depleted today.

 

73

Gary  ZL2iFB

 

From: hamlogger@groups.io <hamlogger@groups.io> On Behalf Of Gary Hinson
Sent: Monday, 23 May 2022 3:00 pm
To: hamlogger@groups.io
Subject: Re: [hamlogger] Uninstall and Reinstall Latest version

 

I’ll gladly update the help/User Manual Jerry … but I’ll need more clues about that IE setting, please.  Is it something to do with TLS/SSL?  And what version of Windows are you running, please?

 

73

Gary  ZL2iFB

 

From: hamlogger@groups.io <hamlogger@groups.io> On Behalf Of Jerry Spring
Sent: Monday, 23 May 2022 7:44 am
To: hamlogger@groups.io
Subject: Re: [hamlogger] Uninstall and Reinstall Latest version

 

The auto updates are finally working.  It turned out to be a security setting in Microsoft Internet Explorer, which I never use.  Apparently, IE is a necessary part of all Windows operating systems for this reason.  All Internet security goes through it, regardless of which browser you are running.  Wish someone had pointed this out in the Logger32 help. 


Jerry Spring
 

Here are the steps I took to get the updates working, at long last:

  1. Launch Internet Explorer,
  2. Click on the Settings Gear Icon (upper right),
  3. Click on “Internet Options”,
  4. Click on the “Advanced Tab”,
  5. Scroll down to the bottom,
  6. Enable ALL “Use TLS” option
Thank you again for all your help.

Jerry VE6TL


Jerry Spring
 

Forgot to mention that I am using Windows 7, but was told by my computer guru that all versions of Windows still rely on IE for security, including Windows 10.  (He didn't mention anything about 11.)