UDP Broadcast

Alex PY2SEX

Hi all,

I’m looking for a solution for running RigPi and keep my log updated with udp messages from WSJT-X running there.

I see in logger32 that I can use a repeater, but I can’t use any receiving udp messages beside the one destined to localhost. At least I could not find it.

All configuration for receive UDP message is fixed to localhost and not kind of any broadcast. I would like to be able to let Logger32 listening for adif messages on 0.0.0.0 instead 127.0.0.1 thus any broadcasted message it will be received by logger32 and it will be in my log, I do not need to export and import. RigPi is running in a raspberry pi and WSJT-X has this feature for broadcast messaging, unfortunately logger32 can’t listen it.

Is it possible to change that? Would be this a feature or it is there and I’m missing it. 😊

Any tip would be great too.

Alex
PY1KS | PY2SEX |  CT7ATE | AC1CY | PC3T
DL1NX (2012-2017)
JW/PY2SEX (24-25.12.2013)
PJ4S (26.11-02.12.2014)
PJ2/DL1NX (02-09.12.2014)
HB0/DL1NX (24-28.03.2016)
TF/DL1NX (20-26.01.2017)
XX9B (09-17.03.2018)
Y87L (WRTC 2018)
9H3T (2-8.09.2019)
www.py2sex.com

Bob

Alex, you are correct, the UDP capabilities of Logger32 are limited to the Localhost. I have no plans/desire to change that. SeventyThree(s).

On 04/22/2021 5:58 AM Alex PY2SEX <py2sex@...> wrote:

Hi all,

I’m looking for a solution for running RigPi and keep my log updated with udp messages from WSJT-X running there.

I see in logger32 that I can use a repeater, but I can’t use any receiving udp messages beside the one destined to localhost. At least I could not find it.

All configuration for receive UDP message is fixed to localhost and not kind of any broadcast. I would like to be able to let Logger32 listening for adif messages on 0.0.0.0 instead 127.0.0.1 thus any broadcasted message it will be received by logger32 and it will be in my log, I do not need to export and import. RigPi is running in a raspberry pi and WSJT-X has this feature for broadcast messaging, unfortunately logger32 can’t listen it.

Is it possible to change that? Would be this a feature or it is there and I’m missing it. 😊

Alex
DL1NX (2012-2017)
PJ4S (26.11-02.12.2014)
TF/DL1NX (20-26.01.2017)
XX9B (09-17.03.2018)
Y87L (WRTC 2018)
9H3T (2-8.09.2019)
www.py2sex.com

Alex PY2SEX

Thanks for quick reply Bob,

I’m using Logger32 for a long time, I tried all others (paid or not) but I can’t run away from Logger32. Hihihi. It has almost all that I need in a simple way, intuitive and very light. With all that new technologies being integrated to our HAM life, it would be good to keep up-to-date.

Thanks for the good job keeping such a good Logging program up-to-date and free.

Alex

From: hamlogger@groups.io <hamlogger@groups.io> On Behalf Of Bob
Sent: Thursday, 22 April 2021 15:38
To: hamlogger@groups.io
Subject: Re: [hamlogger] UDP Broadcast

Alex, you are correct, the UDP capabilities of Logger32 are limited to the Localhost. I have no plans/desire to change that. SeventyThree(s).

Hi all,

Alex
DL1NX (2012-2017)
PJ4S (26.11-02.12.2014)
TF/DL1NX (20-26.01.2017)
XX9B (09-17.03.2018)
Y87L (WRTC 2018)
9H3T (2-8.09.2019)
www.py2sex.com

David G3YYD

Alex

One possibility would be to run a Win app that looks for 127.0.0.1 port (can’t remember the port number Logger32 uses) and then resends that message to a LAN IP address and port.

Whether such an app is in existence I don’t know.

73 David G3YYD

From: hamlogger@groups.io <hamlogger@groups.io> On Behalf Of Alex PY2SEX
Sent: 22 April 2021 14:14

Thanks for quick reply Bob,

I’m using Logger32 for a long time, I tried all others (paid or not) but I can’t run away from Logger32. Hihihi. It has almost all that I need in a simple way, intuitive and very light. With all that new technologies being integrated to our HAM life, it would be good to keep up-to-date.

Thanks for the good job keeping such a good Logging program up-to-date and free.

Alex

Sent: Thursday, 22 April 2021 15:38

Hi all,

Alex
DL1NX (2012-2017)
PJ4S (26.11-02.12.2014)
TF/DL1NX (20-26.01.2017)
XX9B (09-17.03.2018)
Y87L (WRTC 2018)
9H3T (2-8.09.2019)
www.py2sex.com

Bob

Gentlemen (addressed to all Logger32 users), is this not potentially a invaluable  thread/subject for the Logger32 document? One of the primary objectives of Logger32 was make it extensible. do my best (as someone who has never been paid to write a single line of code professionally) to leave the door(s) open. Anyone who wants to join the party (and a few have bellied up to the bar and done so - thanks to you all) is more than welcome.

SeventyThree(s)AndBackToNetOverOver.

On 04/23/2021 6:54 AM Bill Barnes <wc3b@...> wrote:

In reference to what David suggested, this is the powershell code I run to create that "udp repeater"...

I'm certain it isn't ideal / optimized, but it does let me send the UDP spots and logbook entries from my RPi 400 to my Logger32 log.

$peerIP = "127.0.0.1"

$port = 2237

$endpoint = New-Object System.Net.IPEndPoint ([IPAddress]::Any, $port)

$socket = New-Object System.Net.Sockets.UdpClient $port

$client = new-object net.sockets.udpclient(0)

Try {

while($true) {

$content = $socket.Receive([ref]$endpoint)

[Text.Encoding]::ASCII.GetString($content)

[void] $client.send($content, $content.length, $peerIP, $port)

}

} Catch {

"$($Error[0])"

}

$socket.Close()

$client.close()

Hopefully that helps as a workaround for now.

73, de Bill, WC3B

Bob

Is this potentially something that needs to be expounded upon is the documentation in t documentation? One of the the key objectives of the Logger32 development/evolution was extensibility. SeventyThree(ews)

In reference to what David suggested, this is the powershell code I run to create that "udp repeater"...

I'm certain it isn't ideal / optimized, but it does let me send the UDP spots and logbook entries from my RPi 400 to my Logger32 log.

$peerIP = "127.0.0.1"

$port = 2237

Try {

while($true) {

}

} Catch {

"$($Error[0])"

}

$socket.Close()

$client.close()

73, de Bill, WC3B

Gary Hinson

😊

I’d be happy to incorporate something about this into the User Manual, not least the PowerShell code itself … if only I understood what it was for.  Sorry guys, I’m feeling especially thick today.

More clues welcome.

Gary  ZL2iFB

Sent: 24 April 2021 12:53

Gentlemen (addressed to all Logger32 users), is this not potentially a invaluable  thread/subject for the Logger32 document? One of the primary objectives of Logger32 was make it extensible. do my best (as someone who has never been paid to write a single line of code professionally) to leave the door(s) open. Anyone who wants to join the party (and a few have bellied up to the bar and done so - thanks to you all) is more than welcome.

SeventyThree(s)AndBackToNetOverOver.

$peerIP = "127.0.0.1"

$port = 2237

Try {

while($true) {

}

} Catch {

"$($Error[0])"

}

$socket.Close()

$client.close()

73, de Bill, WC3B

Bill WC3B

I'll have to think about how to describe this for the user documentation purposes, let me noodle on that for a little bit.

What problem I was trying to solve, Shack PC is windows 10 with Logger32 on it.  Normally when I'm using the flex, WSJT-X is on the same machine and UDP logs from that program to Logger32.   

I also have a Linux based Raspberry Pi 400 attached to the KX3.  Normally, in the shack, I would export the log from the Pi WSJT-X, and copy that ADIF file over and import into logger32.  Now, instead, I run this code in a PowerShell window (right click on start menu, select PowerShell and then past the code in) and configure WSJT-X to UDP broadcast to my Windows 10 internal IP address.  (going to need to take some screenshots for the documentation)

What format would you like a document file in so you can edit it for submission with the user documentation?

73, de Bill, WC3B

Gary Hinson

Hi Bill.  The format’s fine but I’m still trying to understand your setup so we can describe it.

Is this even close?

I guess PowerShell is that dotted line i.e. it receives UDP messages from the Pi containing logged QSOs in ADIF format, and forwards them to Logger32?

Why can’t Logger32 receive them directly in UDP?

Gary  ZL2iFB

From: hamlogger@groups.io <hamlogger@groups.io> On Behalf Of Bill WC3B
Sent: 24 April 2021 23:31

I'll have to think about how to describe this for the user documentation purposes, let me noodle on that for a little bit.

What problem I was trying to solve, Shack PC is windows 10 with Logger32 on it.  Normally when I'm using the flex, WSJT-X is on the same machine and UDP logs from that program to Logger32.   

I also have a Linux based Raspberry Pi 400 attached to the KX3.  Normally, in the shack, I would export the log from the Pi WSJT-X, and copy that ADIF file over and import into logger32.  Now, instead, I run this code in a PowerShell window (right click on start menu, select PowerShell and then past the code in) and configure WSJT-X to UDP broadcast to my Windows 10 internal IP address.  (going to need to take some screenshots for the documentation)

What format would you like a document file in so you can edit it for submission with the user documentation?

73, de Bill, WC3B

Bill WC3B

that looks correct, Gary.  Yes, the Powershell would be the dotted line.

the UDP part in logger32 is correctly bound to localhost (127.0.0.1), which I'm pretty sure that's the specification.  What we're trying to do is not a standard configuration, and unusual.  

73, de Bill, WC3B

Gary Hinson

Thanks Bill.

I was planning to redraw the hand-scrawled block diagram ‘properly’ in Visio but, given the experimental nature of this, I think the rough-n-ready Biro version has a certain charm as-is. 

So, pending any corrections/updates, here’s what I propose to incorporate into the next release of the manual:

I’m sure we could make the PowerShell program/script available to download on the Logger32 website … but maybe it’s better for users to type and then run it for themselves, learning a little about PowerShell in the process.  That is beyond the scope of the Logger32 v4 User Manual but is part of ‘self-training in radio communications’ – talking of which, I have a spare, lightly-loaded Linux PC here on the same shack LAN as the main heavily-loaded shack/work PC.  When I get a chance, I’ll have a go at loading JTDX on it and hopefully getting it to pass QSOs to Logger32.

Gary  ZL2iFB

Sent: 26 April 2021 00:09

that looks correct, Gary.  Yes, the Powershell would be the dotted line.

the UDP part in logger32 is correctly bound to localhost (127.0.0.1), which I'm pretty sure that's the specification.  What we're trying to do is not a standard configuration, and unusual.  

73, de Bill, WC3B

Bill WC3B

I like it,  I feel we should add in something like - "Logger32 only listens to localhost UDP by default for security purposed to reduce risk associated with an open port on your computer.  This script should only be used when you need to redirect UDP traffic into logger32 across the LAN and shut down for all other times."  or something???

73, de Bill, WC3B

Gary Hinson

OK Bill, fair point.  I think maybe I should generalize it, advising people not to open any network ports unnecessarily i.e. (as you say) open them to use them, then close them when done.  This UDP port is one of several.

Thanks for the inspiration and feedback.  Maybe this evening I’ll try hooking up my Linux PC runnng JTDX to L32 on Windows.

Gary  ZL2iFB

Sent: 27 April 2021 08:43

I like it,  I feel we should add in something like - "Logger32 only listens to localhost UDP by default for security purposed to reduce risk associated with an open port on your computer.  This script should only be used when you need to redirect UDP traffic into logger32 across the LAN and shut down for all other times."  or something???

73, de Bill, WC3B

Alex PY2SEX

Hi again,

The script is a good idea, but then we have a collision problem when running two instances of wsjt-x, the WSJT-X logger32 windows will not show anything as it will receive data from two instances.

When I’m running SO2R, I can’t keep two instances opened because of that, the same will happen if set the “remote” WSJT-X to send UDP broadcast traffic and your “local” WSJT-X is also receiving traffic. This can be only used in case of a single radio in use with WSJT-X. Of course, you can use the WSJT-X to monitor and check your QSO’s but then, the WSJT-X window becomes useless.   And I really like this feature.

The feature to have an option to choose an UDP port to receive ADIF broadcast or directly would be cool. 😊

If the radio 2 could be also active, I think, problem solved, or even have two WSJT-X windows, for each-radio. 😊

Regarding Security, this is really low risk, first will be used only locally (LAN), if you can exploit such UDP open port that is merely listening for adif/wsjt-x traffic, you are a very good hacker. The only way to break in, I suppose, is finding some vulnerability in Logger32 itself, inject something through the UDP port listening that LOGGER32 would behave as not expected and be able to take over as we run as administrator. 😊

I’m not a developer or software engineer, I’m just trying to come with some ideas based on my daily operations with 2 radios. Also not pushing to have such feature as I know how hard is to keep this amazing software working flawlessly and FREE. 😊

Thanks for the great job!

Alex

From: hamlogger@groups.io <hamlogger@groups.io> On Behalf Of Gary Hinson
Sent: Tuesday, 27 April 2021 07:21

OK Bill, fair point.  I think maybe I should generalize it, advising people not to open any network ports unnecessarily i.e. (as you say) open them to use them, then close them when done.  This UDP port is one of several.

Thanks for the inspiration and feedback.  Maybe this evening I’ll try hooking up my Linux PC runnng JTDX to L32 on Windows.

Gary  ZL2iFB

To:
hamlogger@groups.io

73, de Bill, WC3B

Alex PY2SEX

Correction…

Just to have the correct term usage: WSJT-X WINDOW = UDP Band map..

From: hamlogger@groups.io <hamlogger@groups.io> On Behalf Of Alex PY2SEX via groups.io
Sent: Friday, 30 April 2021 13:30

Hi again,

The script is a good idea, but then we have a collision problem when running two instances of wsjt-x, the WSJT-X logger32 windows will not show anything as it will receive data from two instances.

When I’m running SO2R, I can’t keep two instances opened because of that, the same will happen if set the “remote” WSJT-X to send UDP broadcast traffic and your “local” WSJT-X is also receiving traffic. This can be only used in case of a single radio in use with WSJT-X. Of course, you can use the WSJT-X to monitor and check your QSO’s but then, the WSJT-X window becomes useless.   And I really like this feature.

The feature to have an option to choose an UDP port to receive ADIF broadcast or directly would be cool. 😊

If the radio 2 could be also active, I think, problem solved, or even have two WSJT-X windows, for each-radio. 😊

Regarding Security, this is really low risk, first will be used only locally (LAN), if you can exploit such UDP open port that is merely listening for adif/wsjt-x traffic, you are a very good hacker. The only way to break in, I suppose, is finding some vulnerability in Logger32 itself, inject something through the UDP port listening that LOGGER32 would behave as not expected and be able to take over as we run as administrator. 😊

I’m not a developer or software engineer, I’m just trying to come with some ideas based on my daily operations with 2 radios. Also not pushing to have such feature as I know how hard is to keep this amazing software working flawlessly and FREE. 😊

Thanks for the great job!

Alex

From: hamlogger@groups.io <hamlogger@groups.io> On Behalf Of Gary Hinson
Sent: Tuesday, 27 April 2021 07:21

Gary  ZL2iFB

To:
hamlogger@groups.io

73, de Bill, WC3B