From: Damian M0BKV via groups.io
Sent: Friday, May 22, 2020 8:15 AM
To: hamlogger@groups.io
Subject: [hamlogger] UDP Bandplan

I very often get a problem when having clicked on the callsign thats on the UDP Bandplan being logged in WSJT-x. This enables me to click on the Operators details on QRZ and log some of them with the WSJT call being logged. Not a problem as after the logging I manually remove the call from the logger32 logging window, all is then OK.

Michael Harris

Did everyone on the list need 5MB of mostly junk image?

Regards,

Mike VP8NO

On 22/05/2020 03:15, Damian M0BKV via groups.io wrote:
I very often get a problem when having clicked on the callsign thats on the UDP Bandplan being logged in WSJT-x. This enables me to click on the Operators details on QRZ and log some of them with the WSJT call being logged. Not a problem as after the logging I manually remove the call from the logger32 logging window, all is then OK.

Barry GM4GIF

Easy enough to click on the ‘bin’ icon (top right), which is what I’ve just done to yours.

73

Barry GM4GIF

On Fri, 22 May 2020 at 12:58, Michael Harris via groups.io <mike.harris=horizon.co.fk@groups.io> wrote:
Did everyone on the list need 5MB of mostly junk image?

Regards,

Mike VP8NO

On 22/05/2020 03:15, Damian M0BKV via groups.io wrote:
> I very often get a problem when having clicked on the callsign thats on
> the UDP Bandplan being logged in WSJT-x. This enables me to click on the
> Operators details on QRZ and log some of them with the WSJT call being
> logged. Not a problem as after the logging I manually remove the call
> from the logger32 logging window, all is then OK.

John Munton - G7SSE

Got to realise Barry that Mike's ISP, being where he is, probably has a download limit, probably slower speed too.

5MB could possibly have quite an impact on that.

Would have been better (for Mike at least) if  Damian had resized / compressed the image before attaching / posting it.

73, John - G7SSE

Barry GM4GIF

Point taken John
73 de Barry GM4GIF

On Fri, 22 May 2020 at 13:42, John Munton - G7SSE <johng7sse@...> wrote:
Got to realise Barry that Mike's ISP, being where he is, probably has a download limit, probably slower speed too.

5MB could possibly have quite an impact on that.

Would have been better (for Mike at least) if  Damian had resized / compressed the image before attaching / posting it.

73, John - G7SSE

Damian M0BKV

Sorry did I upset someone by posting an image of the pop up window showing my problem? Don't understand how this can cause an issue?

Michael Harris

The problem is Barry that it has already been downloaded and has used up valuable download allowance, especially now with Win10. We don't all have £20 all you can eat 100Mbps connectivity.

If I feel the need to email an image at the very least I will crop it and run it through a jpg optimiser and reduce the size to something sensible.

Regards,

Mike VP8NO

On 22/05/2020 09:14, Barry GM4GIF wrote:
Easy enough to click on the ‘bin’ icon (top right), which is what I’ve just done to yours.
73
Barry GM4GIF

ja1nlx

Hi all

The better way is to use screen capture utility and capture only necessary area.

In this case capture only message window.

73

On 2020/05/22 21:41, John Munton - G7SSE wrote:
Got to realise Barry that Mike's ISP, being where he is, probably has a download limit, probably slower speed too.

5MB could possibly have quite an impact on that.

Would have been better (for Mike at least) if  Damian had resized / compressed the image before attaching / posting it.

73, John - G7SSE

Michael Harris

The pop up is fine but was all the background detail necessary?

Regards,

Mike VP8NO

On 22/05/2020 09:45, Damian M0BKV via groups.io wrote:
Sorry did I upset someone by posting an image of the pop up window showing my problem? Don't understand how this can cause an issue?
_._,_._,_

Damian M0BKV

Using an image! I won't do this again. If it is a problem. Seemed a good idea at the time.  ...   V

John Munton - G7SSE

Windows Key+Shift+S works for me.

73
John - G7SSE

The better way is to use screen capture utility and capture only necessary area.

In this case capture only message window.

73

On 2020/05/22 21:41, John Munton - G7SSE wrote:
Got to realise Barry that Mike's ISP, being where he is, probably has a download limit, probably slower speed too.

5MB could possibly have quite an impact on that.

Would have been better (for Mike at least) if  Damian had resized / compressed the image before attaching / posting it.

73, John - G7SSE

73, John - G7SSE

Damian M0BKV

Thanks John (SSE) win+ Shift+s is the was I'll do it next time. Ill try and lower resolution as well if its possible without to much effort

Barry GM4GIF

OK Mike
All understood, it must be difficult.
Best wishes to you and all on the Island, my Son-In-Law was there In those dark days.
Regards de Barry/GM4GIF

On Fri, 22 May 2020 at 13:46, Michael Harris via groups.io <mike.harris=horizon.co.fk@groups.io> wrote:
The problem is Barry that it has already been downloaded and has used up
valuable download allowance, especially now with Win10. We don't all
have £20 all you can eat 100Mbps connectivity.

If I feel the need to email an image at the very least I will crop it
and run it through a jpg optimiser and reduce the size to something
sensible.

Regards,

Mike VP8NO

On 22/05/2020 09:14, Barry GM4GIF wrote:
> Easy enough to click on the ‘bin’ icon (top right), which is what I’ve
> just done to yours.
>
> 73
>
> Barry GM4GIF

Jim Altman

Some people have limited bandwidth and receiving large images can be costly as consuming the allotment of data as well as its slow speed.   Many email programs allow you to set a default to not download pictures unless you specifically do so.  As a sender, you can reduce the resolution of the picture and crop it in an editor before sending.  Many editors have a “Save for email” selection that will automagically reduce the resolution to result in a much smaller file size. Paint, which is built into Windows, does both these things. Screen Captures are usually made at the resolution of the monitor, so that can result in some rather large files.

Jim Altman

jaltman636@...

Sorry did I upset someone by posting an image of the pop up window showing my problem? Don't understand how this can cause an issue?

Damian M0BKV

Mike all I can do is apologise I didn't realise that it was so costly. I will check on the amount of space my pictures use next time. In the old days I always reduced my pictures to a few kilobytes before putting on any media but these days with fast processors normally don't bother but have learnt my lesson.
Damian