Topics

Trojan detected

Rob Thomson

For some reason, Logger32.exe disappeared from my PC. No problem - I have backups, so deleted the directory and started again.

The upgrade failed because good ol' Windows Defender detected a threat. So I added the directory as an exception, started again and all is fine. However, I uploaded the file in question (C:\Logger32\updateFiles\Logger32.exe) to VirusTotal.com and it also detected a Trojan:

W32.AIDetectVM.malware     Microsoft       Trojan:Win32/Azden.B!cl

Does it really have a trojan included?

Rob G4LMW

Mike

On Sat, Apr 11, 2020 at 10:36 PM, Rob Thomson wrote:
Does it really have a trojan included?
You live under a rock?
This subject is spoken here every day.
Mike

Zrinko Zibert

No.
Change you Antivirus Program.

DK8ZZ

Rob Thomson <G4LMW@...> schrieb am Sa., 11. Apr. 2020, 22:36:

For some reason, Logger32.exe disappeared from my PC. No problem - I have backups, so deleted the directory and started again.

The upgrade failed because good ol' Windows Defender detected a threat. So I added the directory as an exception, started again and all is fine. However, I uploaded the file in question (C:\Logger32\updateFiles\Logger32.exe) to VirusTotal.com and it also detected a Trojan:

W32.AIDetectVM.malware     Microsoft       Trojan:Win32/Azden.B!cl

Does it really have a trojan included?

Rob G4LMW

Jim Altman

Just go into Security Settings in control panel, view the items detected and tell it to restore Logger32.exe.  That will also whitelist it for the future.

Jim Altman

jaltman636@...

For some reason, Logger32.exe disappeared from my PC. No problem - I have backups, so deleted the directory and started again.

The upgrade failed because good ol' Windows Defender detected a threat. So I added the directory as an exception, started again and all is fine. However, I uploaded the file in question (C:\Logger32\updateFiles\Logger32.exe) to VirusTotal.com and it also detected a Trojan:

W32.AIDetectVM.malware     Microsoft       Trojan:Win32/Azden.B!cl

Does it really have a trojan included?

Rob G4LMW

TF3AO Seli

This happened to me also.  logger32.exe disappeared, and still have problems to reinstall. Though I have a backup. Was also trying to update on my laptop, that I don't use very often,
and it didn't allow an upgrade,

73 Seli TF3AO

Rob Thomson

Mike

Mike

Thank you for your compassion and understanding.

Under  a rock? .... yes, pretty much. Can't go out for 3 months due to taking immuno-suppresants

As it happen, I did a search on the groups.io page for "Trojan" and "UpdateFiles" and nothing came up. I don't get email feeds, I just go onto the web pages as and when I need to check something.

Again, thanks for the input.

Rob, G4LMW

GM0WED

Hello Rob,
I too, in the middle of logging a QSO, got a message from Windows Defender warning of a virus and within a second Logger 32 vanished from the screen.  The Logger32.exe programme has disappeared from the Logger 32 Folder, and trying to reinstall it using setup.exe, I get the message: Setup cannot find: ; . . setup.LST. But in the Logger32folder, there it is immediately under the setup.exe file.  Going to the Windows defender I do not get the option to restore Logger32, because it isn't there.
It is a puzzle.  I am stumped, because I am not a IT whizzo either.
It would be good to get advice on how to re-install it, I have all the non deleted files backed up elsewhere.
Ed--GM0WED

Jim Hargrave

Try this:

==================================

This sounds like a Virus problem. Many users had trouble with version 411 being quarantined by their anti-virus.

This was a false virus notice.

Open your virus program and add Logger32.exe to the exception list.  The procedure varies with different programs.

In your Logger32 folder, You should find a folder “Update files for ver 3.50.409”. Open this and you should find “Logger32.exe”. Copy this to the Logger32 folder.

Now see if it will run. If this is successful, Let it update to current ver 3.50.412 before doing anything else.

==================================

Jim – w5ifp-

I too, in the middle of logging a QSO, got a message from Windows Defender warning of a virus and within a second Logger 32 vanished from the screen.  The Logger32.exe programme has disappeared from the Logger 32 Folder, and trying to reinstall it using setup.exe, I get the message: Setup cannot find: ; . . setup.LST. But in the Logger32folder, there it is immediately under the setup.exe file.  Going to the Windows defender I do not get the option to restore Logger32, because it isn't there.
It is a puzzle.  I am stumped, because I am not a IT whizzo either.
It would be good to get advice on how to re-install it, I have all the non deleted files backed up elsewhere.
Ed--GM0WED

Jim Altman

Look people, reinstalling it just lets your antivirus find it and kill it again.  You gotta go into the quarantine and tell the antivirus its an ok file.  It’s easy. It’s not rocket science.  I have done rocket science.  It’s not that hard.  Click on the notice from your antivirus and you will have choices on what to do.  It’s different for each antivirus, but not that hard.

The definition of insanity.  Repeating the same action expecting a different result.

Jim Altman

jaltman636@...

I too, in the middle of logging a QSO, got a message from Windows Defender warning of a virus and within a second Logger 32 vanished from the screen.  The Logger32.exe programme has disappeared from the Logger 32 Folder, and trying to reinstall it using setup.exe, I get the message: Setup cannot find: ; . . setup.LST. But in the Logger32folder, there it is immediately under the setup.exe file.  Going to the Windows defender I do not get the option to restore Logger32, because it isn't there.
It is a puzzle.  I am stumped, because I am not a IT whizzo either.
It would be good to get advice on how to re-install it, I have all the non deleted files backed up elsewhere.
Ed--GM0WED

Fred Bourne

Hi.
Yes I had exactly the same here. Just put Logger32 in the exemption of defender and all is ok. Had all backups so up and running in matter of minutes.

73 Fred G3YJQ

On 11 Apr 2020, at 21:36, Rob Thomson <G4LMW@...> wrote:

For some reason, Logger32.exe disappeared from my PC. No problem - I have backups, so deleted the directory and started again.

The upgrade failed because good ol' Windows Defender detected a threat. So I added the directory as an exception, started again and all is fine. However, I uploaded the file in question (C:\Logger32\updateFiles\Logger32.exe) to VirusTotal.com and it also detected a Trojan:

W32.AIDetectVM.malware     Microsoft       Trojan:Win32/Azden.B!cl

Does it really have a trojan included?

Rob G4LMW

Steve VE3RX

One or two positives in Virustotal are usually indicative of "false positives". Only when you start getting 5, 10 or more positives, is it worth reviewing if the file is safe.
Your listing shows only the one detection, from MS which is the same as your Windows defender. Why would anyone expect different?

73
Steve VE3RX

Larry Fravel

I have never had logger32 show up as a trojan until last night.  Went in and told Defender to exclude it and now all is well.  You would think MicroSoft could get their act together, but then that is asking a lot from a company that feels that they know better than you how your computer should look, act, and respond.

Larry K8YYY

--
Today is a good day to have a GREAT Day!

Jose Bonanca

They do...!!!!

On Sun, 12 Apr 2020 at 13:11, Larry Fravel <lfravel93@...> wrote:

I have never had logger32 show up as a trojan until last night.  Went in and told Defender to exclude it and now all is well.  You would think MicroSoft could get their act together, but then that is asking a lot from a company that feels that they know better than you how your computer should look, act, and respond.

Larry K8YYY

--
Today is a good day to have a GREAT Day!

Jose (Ct1aos)

Paul Evans W4/VP9KF

Logger32 needs porting to Linux then!

Ian Morrison

I would rather have the firemen show up at a false alarm than sitting at the station saying its probably a not a real fire!

Small inconvenience, but at least Defender is trying to protect me.

Ian, VE3EP

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

I have never had logger32 show up as a trojan until last night.  Went in and told Defender to exclude it and now all is well.  You would think MicroSoft could get their act together, but then that is asking a lot from a company that feels that they know better than you how your computer should look, act, and respond.

Larry K8YYY

--
Today is a good day to have a GREAT Day!

K9FH

Same here.  Microsoft Security Essentials (Defender) deleted Logger32 at 2 am exactly when a new virus definition database was downloaded. Gives credence to it being a false positive.
Told Defender to restore the files and added logger32.exe to exclusion list along with two other links and all is good again.

Phil - K9FH

kenfilmer@outlook.com

Phil or anybody else

Can you help an IT challenged person out please?

All my L:32 traces have disappeared. I went to Exclusions typed in Logger32.exe, C:\Logger32\Logger32.exe and a few other combinations and I get ‘file not found.’

How do I tell Defender to restore L32 and exactly how to I add L32 to the exclusions?

There are a few programmes listed when I click on exclusions, but no L32.

Hope you can help

Ken

G3XPO

Inclined to go back to paper logging!

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Same here.  Microsoft Security Essentials (Defender) deleted Logger32 at 2 am exactly when a new virus definition database was downloaded. Gives credence to it being a false positive.
Told Defender to restore the files and added logger32.exe to exclusion list along with two other links and all is good again.

Phil - K9FH

Bob

Set your exclusions like this:

Now to un-hide the hidden files. Go here:

Click on Protection History. You will see a list of threats. Click on each in turn. You get more info than you ever wanted to know. If it is a file from \Logger32 ACTION at the bottom. Hopefully you have the option to RESTORE the file. SeventyThree(s).

On April 12, 2020 at 3:34 PM "kenfilmer@..." <kenfilmer@...> wrote:

[...]

Damian M0BKV

Rob
There is no Trojan. A number of us had this exact problem with McAfee and Logger.exe Version 410 and the McAfee support team called it 'A False Positive' and solved it. haven't had a problem with versions 411 and 412. Is your problem with version 410?

kenfilmer@outlook.com

Bob

It worked.

Thank you very much for your help (once again) and also for an excellent programme.

Its possible I may not be the only IT challenged individual around so I’m sure your explicit instructions will be useful to others.

Thanks again, Stay safe, 73

Ken G3XPO