TELNET

Kevin J Prince

Hi,
Hang on while I put my tin hat on, I know I'll get some flack.
OK, I am not connecting to the cluster.
When starting logger32 (V4.0.250) it's extremely slow. when it completes I have a small TCP Server window on the screen
It' helpfully tells me it's listening on port: 52001. 'Enable callsign lookup' is not ticked and 'Socket state' is showing a very dull green.
Pressing the Config tab gives the following:
  • HOST ID : DESKTOP XXXXXX
  • Local IP   : 169,xxx,xxx,xxx   (not in any of my locally set ranges on the router)
  • LocalHost IP : 127.0.0.1
  • Port : 52001
My Telnet window shows nothing of any activity, TNC, Telnet, Messages, AGWpe and Localhost are all dark grey and each tab is none responsive with the exception of some random boxes changing, but no information shows.

The bottom line shows TNC in Blue and mouseover gives  'TCP socket listening on 127.0.0.1 :52001'

window bottom-line shows
  • Data Terminal RED
  • Cluster RED
  • Radio 1 Blue
  • No rotator RED
  • Telnet RED
  • Localhost RED
  • Antenna RED
  • ### Black
  • DVK RED
  • UDP RED
  • RPTR RED

I've read quite a few threads about similar issues, some I have tried and got nowhere.

I do have an active Windows Firewall for both local and external address's
My Antivirus is MS Windows Security
The network is secure WiFi, only access from known MAC numbers. Hardwired all have full access.

Could anyone suggest where I need to be looking to sort this problem out, please?
I can no longer remember how to set most things, memory is not like it used to be.

Right Also have to add that I have reinstalled a couple of times now, along with my CW keying problem in another thread.

Right getting the sandbags ready to build a bunker in case it's something so stupid I need to hide.
73 de Kevin G0NUP

John Munton - G7SSE

Kevin

The TCP Server window is not for connecting to the DX Cluster, you can close this.

In the Telnet window, click on the Telnet Tab then right click in the empty box below it to bring up the menu;

If you have already set up a connection then "Connect to" will have a cluster name next to it, GB7UJS in the one set up in the example above.
If not the go to the "Connect list" and if any are listed, pick one.
Or, bring up the Setup menu, Setup remote hosts and enter the details of the cluster you wish to connect to in the window that opens:

Hope I have been of some help.

All images stolen from Gary's excellent user guide; (version 4.0.250) Chapter 13; "DX Cluster"  Page 184 and onwards.

Available at all good retailers but preferably;  https://www.logger32.net/files/Logger32_v4_User_Manual.pdf

--
73, John - G7SSE

Kevin J Prince

HI John,

OK my first problem with your suggestion is my tabs on the TELNET window are greyed out, all five are dark gray.

I can't get any further with this.

As for the tome, excellent though it is, it's not shown me an answer yet.

I fear my solution will be along the windows set up route....

73 de Kevin G0NUP

On 08/04/2021 19:24, John Munton - G7SSE wrote:
[...]

[-Regards        ]
[-Kevin J Prince ]

Kevin J Prince

Follow-up :

Upon going through checking your suggestion again, (double checking myself).

I find that the TELNET window is immovable for a short while if I click any of the tabs. Also the TCP Server window flickers a few times

Just pushing as much information to get a quick solution.

73 de Kevin G0NUP

On 08/04/2021 19:24, Kevin J Prince wrote:

[...]

Close the TCP Server window; click hide then right click on TCP on the bottom Tool Bar and click close.

The TCP server is nothing to do with a Telnet connection to a DX Cluster.

Once the TCP Server window is gone and the socket is closed try the Telnet Tab on the Telnet window again, can you bring up the menu as per my screen grab?

John
G7SSE

[...]

Tried that,

Nothing activates on this window. at all, the window box may judder at some point, but no actions happen.

No right mouse, left mouse, shift mouse L, shift mouse R, ctrl R Mouse, ctrl L mouse.

I am well stuck, going for a lay down in a darkened room for an hour.

Back later.

73 de Kevin G0NUP

On 08/04/2021 20:41, John Munton - G7SSE wrote:
[...]

Philip (G4OBK) Catterall

If you are still stuck in the morning Kevin and want some local phone support I'm in the BT phone book and in most of the day. It will be easy to replicate my settings in Logger 32 over the phone. I've been connecting to telnet into the SOTA7300 Cluster daily since it was concieved, various DX Cluster nodes via Telnet and the VE7CC-1 filtered cluster via local host in Logger32. I'm running the latest Logger32 V4.0.250

73 Phil G4OBK

Gary Hinson

Hi Kevin.

That’s odd.

Are you running version 4 of Logger32?  V4 added ‘boilerplate’ text to the telnet windows explaining what the individual panes are for.  I don’t see those on your screenshot.

This is no time to lie down on the job!

[...]

Hi Phil,

Thanks for checking in with me.

I'm in the middle of something else at moment, like finding 6 copies  of Logger on my system. No idea where three of them came from unless backups. then two copies of 4.0.250 and also an incomplete installation of 4.0.250.  The problems I'm finding might explain the CW.EXE problem I had... maybe...

Thanks for the offer to call  you, much appreciated. Think I have your number, unless it's changed of course will check the phone book tomorrow.

Hope all is well with you

Chat tomorrow 73 de Kevin G0NUP

On 08/04/2021 21:49, Philip (G4OBK) Catterall wrote:
If you are still stuck in the morning Kevin and want some local phone support I'm in the BT phone book and in most of the day. It will be easy to replicate my settings in Logger 32 over the phone. I've been connecting to telnet into the SOTA7300 Cluster daily since it was concieved, various DX Cluster nodes via Telnet and the VE7CC-1 filtered cluster via local host in Logger32. I'm running the latest Logger32 V4.0.250

73 Phil G4OBK
--
[-Regards        ]
[-Kevin J Prince ]

Tom Wylie

I did tell you to delete all files pertaining to logger before downloading a fresh copy..... I'd advise you to do it again and DELETE EVERYTHING LOGGER then start again. It should work first time.

Tom
GM4FDM

On Thu, 8 Apr 2021, 22:27 Kevin J Prince, <kevin@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Tom

Well I did actually. I also double checked, but they all seem to have resurrected themselves over the last couple of days.

I think I'll just start signing in as 'Confused of Scarborough'

Knew that tin hat and sandbags  would come in useful, ping.. thud .

73 Kevin

On 08/04/2021 22:33, Tom Wylie wrote:
[...]

Dave Colliau

Seriously . Although we have occasional issues some of you should stick to paper and pencils Hi Hi. That said I had one issue the other day . Seems to be smooth sailing right now .
73
Dave N8DC

On 04/08/2021 4:42 PM Kevin J Prince <kevin@...> wrote:

[...]

OK

I have pencil in hand.....

Right I have cleared my PC of any mention of Logger32, cleared all the strange additional copies.

There is no mention of Logger32 on any folder.

I have a fresh copy of V4 of logger32.

I have just installed it.

I've just let it update to 4.0.250

ere we go again.....

NO CW.EXE keyer

NO Cluster settings or telnet

Bottom-line shows Telnet in red    right clicking allows you to Connect to gb3ujs, nothing rally happens.

etc, ten steps backwards to what I was earlier today.

I'm off to count sheep,, tomorrow is another day.

73 de Kevin G0NUP

On 08/04/2021 22:45, Dave Colliau wrote:
[...]

Nah.  Crayons, gripped firmly between the toes …

If I had a pound for every time I’ve done something daft on a computer, I’d be very, VERY, overweight.

[...]

Have you checked your downloads folder.  If versions have resurrected themselves, they must be lurking in your computer somewhere.

Tom
GM4FDM

On 8 April 2021, at 22:42, Kevin J Prince <kevin@...> wrote:

[...]

Where did you get the ‘fresh copy of V4 of logger32’, Kevin?

I’ve just checked:  https://www.logger32.net/files/Logger32%20v4.0%20Full%20Install.exe (as per the User Manual) is the correct download link.  A fresh install on a fairly new Windows 10 laptop works for me.  The CW Machine runs and the Cluster window is shown with the TNC tab open and the boilerplate grey text “Cluster DX Spots” in the main area and “Type Cluster commands here” in the lower area.  It is auto-updating itself to v4.0.250 as I write this, albeit slowly on a congested ZL rural “broad”band connection.