TCP/IP Ports for Auto-Update

Thomas Otterbein

The Auto-Update and the manual update
still didn’t work.

I try
- switch off virus scanner
- run Logger32.exe and logger32autoinstsller.exe
   as Admin
- Logger32 new installation

Nothing bring success.

My last idea is, that there is a tcp/ip port
blocked by the router which is used by
auto-update.

Which ports are used for update?

Thank you!

73! Thomas, DG8FBV

Bob

Which part doesn't work ?  When you ask to check for Logger32 updates the reply is no new updates, or are you told v4.0.256 is online? If you are told there is a new version and you click the yes button, what happens then?

There is no specific TCP port number involved. When you ask if there are updates, it is a simple Inet request to http://www1.Logger32.net/autoupdates/updatelist 4.0.txt Put the full URL in browser and it will return 4.0.256.  No magic or voodoo. SeventyThree(s).

On 05/07/2021 2:02 PM Thomas Otterbein <mailbox@...> wrote:

The Auto-Update and the manual update
still didn’t work.

I try
- switch off virus scanner
- run Logger32.exe and logger32autoinstsller.exe
   as Admin
- Logger32 new installation

Nothing bring success.

My last idea is, that there is a tcp/ip port
blocked by the router which is used by
auto-update.

Which ports are used for update?

Thank you!

73! Thomas, DG8FBV
—-

Gary Hinson

The manual update didn’t work??  You do realise it’s a manual update process, right?

Please see my email to Thorbjörn.

In your browser, you should be able to see the current User Manual, version 4.0.256, from https://www.logger32.net/files/Logger32_v4_User_Manual.pdf

If you can’t even get that by reloading the page, there appears to be some sort of blockage between your computer and the Logger32.net server – perhaps a firewall somewhere, or a problem with your ISP.

Does the server respond to your pings?  It works fine for me: from a command prompt …

- run Logger32.exe and logger32autoinstsller.exe

   as Admin

- Logger32 new installation

Nothing bring success.

My last idea is, that there is a tcp/ip port

blocked by the router which is used by

auto-update.

Which ports are used for update?

Thank you!

73! Thomas, DG8FBV

Thomas Otterbein

Thank you Gary for the fast reply!
To download the user manual is not the
Problem. It works.
I mean the program auto-update within
Logger32.
This doesn’t work. I am still in the Version
4.0.248.

Tnx fr the idea with the pings.
They are replied same as your image.
This confirms....no ports are blocked.

73! Thomas, DG8FBV

Am 07.05.2021 um 20:41 schrieb Gary Hinson <Gary@...>:

The manual update didn’t work??  You do realise it’s a manual update process, right?

Please see my email to Thorbjörn.

In your browser, you should be able to see the current User Manual, version 4.0.256, from https://www.logger32.net/files/Logger32_v4_User_Manual.pdf

If you can’t even get that by reloading the page, there appears to be some sort of blockage between your computer and the Logger32.net server – perhaps a firewall somewhere, or a problem with your ISP.

Does the server respond to your pings?  It works fine for me: from a command prompt …

<image001.png>

- run Logger32.exe and logger32autoinstsller.exe

   as Admin

- Logger32 new installation

Nothing bring success.

My last idea is, that there is a tcp/ip port

blocked by the router which is used by

auto-update.

Which ports are used for update?

Thank you!

73! Thomas, DG8FBV

Bob

Correction ... The URL is case sensitive. It is:

http://www1.Logger32.net/autoupdates/updateList 4.0.txt

Are you able to download the ClubLog LoTW users file, or Club Log Prefix exceptions file,  or Keplerian elements file, or set the system time from Logger32. All the operations are identical to auto-updates.

SeventyThree(s).

On 05/07/2021 2:34 PM Bob <k4cy@...> wrote:

[...]

Fabio IZ8MBW

I don't like spaces character in the URL but anyway it works.

73.
Fabio, IZ8MBW

Il ven, 7 mag, 2021 alle 21:12, Bob
<k4cy@...> ha scritto:
[...]

thott2001

Hello Bob....

When I do thevmanual update, look for
updates now, the message comes there are no
new updates.
When I enable auto updates. The same happens,
no updates :-(

The URL didn’t work, it comes “not found”
I copy it exactly in the browser

73! Thomas, DG8FBV

Am 07.05.2021 um 20:34 schrieb Bob <k4cy@...>:

[...]

  • This [ping] confirms....no ports are blocked.

Not quite, Thomas.

The ping response simply confirms that there is an functional network path or route capable of carrying ICMP echo request and ICMP echo reply messages between your system and the server.  It confirms that the server is accessible on the network and responsive (to the ping, at least).

Internet Control Message Protocol doesn’t use TCP or UDP ports – it’s a different, lower-level networking protocol, used to control the flow of messages and diagnose connectivity problems.  See Wikipedia if you’re interested.

There may still be a blockage for TCP traffic somewhere along the route.  Most likely (I’m guessing) something on your computer or LAN.

Correction to the correction: the URL string has an embedded space so use a %20 in its place.

The URL to check is:  http://www1.Logger32.net/autoupdates/updateList%204.0.txt

You should see:

73

Gary  ZL2iFB

[...]

ClubLog Country Database works,
System Time works,
Auto Internet Callsign Lookup works

When I put the case sensitive URL in, it replies
4.0.256

I don’t know what else to do :-(

73! Thomas, DG8FBV

Am 07.05.2021 um 21:12 schrieb Bob <k4cy@...>:

Correction ... The URL is case sensitive. It is:

http://www1.Logger32.net/autoupdates/updateList 4.0.txt

Are you able to download the ClubLog LoTW users file, or Club Log Prefix exceptions file,  or Keplerian elements file, or set the system time from Logger32. All the operations are identical to auto-updates.

SeventyThree(s).

Fabio IZ8MBW

Yes, in the URL the space is converted into %20.
This is why in the URLs the space character should NOT be used.

73s
Fabio, IZ8MBW

On Friday, May 7, 2021, 09:41:49 PM GMT+2, Gary Hinson <gary@...> wrote:

[...]

Unsafe:

   Characters can be unsafe for a number of reasons.  The space
   character is unsafe because significant spaces may disappear and
   insignificant spaces may be introduced when URLs are transcribed or
   typeset or subjected to the treatment of word-processing programs.
   The characters "<" and ">" are unsafe because they are used as the
   delimiters around URLs in free text; the quote mark (""") is used to
   delimit URLs in some systems.  The character "#" is unsafe and should
   always be encoded because it is used in World Wide Web and in other
   systems to delimit a URL from a fragment/anchor identifier that might
   follow it.  The character "%" is unsafe because it is used for
   encodings of other characters.  Other characters are unsafe because
   gateways and other transport agents are known to sometimes modify
   such characters. These characters are "{", "}", "|", "\", "^", "~",
   "[", "]", and "`".

   All unsafe characters must always be encoded within a URL. For
   example, the character "#" must be encoded within URLs even in
   systems that do not normally deal with fragment or anchor
   identifiers, so that if the URL is copied into another system that
   does use them, it will not be necessary to change the URL encoding.

73s
Fabio, IZ8MBW

On Friday, May 7, 2021, 09:46:50 PM GMT+2, Fabio IZ8MBW via groups.io <iz8mbw@...> wrote:

[...]

1) Stop Logger32
2) Go here and download the 4.0.256 upgrade:
http://www1.Logger32.net/autoupdates/4.0.256 Update.zip
3) Unzip the file (it contains 7 files) into your Logger32 directory.
4) Run Logger32.

SeventyThree(s).

On 05/07/2021 3:41 PM thott2001 via groups.io <thott2001@...> wrote:

ClubLog Country Database works,
System Time works,
Auto Internet Callsign Lookup works

When I put the case sensitive URL in, it replies
4.0.256

I don’t know what else to do :-(

73! Thomas, DG8FBV

—-

Am 07.05.2021 um 21:12 schrieb Bob <k4cy@...>:

Correction ... The URL is case sensitive. It is:

http://www1.Logger32.net/autoupdates/updateList 4.0.txt

Are you able to download the ClubLog LoTW users file, or Club Log Prefix exceptions file,  or Keplerian elements file, or set the system time from Logger32. All the operations are identical to auto-updates.

SeventyThree(s).

Thomas Otterbein

Hello Bob,

thank you very much!
It works and now I am running 4.0.256 :-)

Thank you again.....

73! Thomas, DG8FBV

Am 07.05.2021 um 22:03 schrieb Bob <k4cy@...>:

1) Stop Logger32
2) Go here and download the 4.0.256 upgrade:
http://www1.Logger32.net/autoupdates/4.0.256 Update.zip
3) Unzip the file (it contains 7 files) into your Logger32 directory.
4) Run Logger32.

SeventyThree(s).

Gary Hinson

Phew!

For a moment there, I thought we were going to have to ask you to turn-it-off-and-on-again.  Reboot the Interwebs maybe.  Sacrifice a goat.