Topics

Spot display 6600M

@sy308
 

I am going to post this same exact information to hamlogger too.  I have the Maestro/6600M pair.  At the remote location, I normally use Hamlogger32, but can use N1MM.  I am hoping to show spots on the Maestro, but I have no conception of how to organize the two locations to accomplish this.  I read the brief posting on how to get N1MM to connect to the system and shows information about an ip address of 127.x.x.x and I have no understanding on how that number will be useful.  All my computers are 192.x.x.x and this whole situation leads me to several questions.  Some are simple like, how do I begin to set up the computer at either end to do this?  What steps does one follow?  What is ideal or best program for this operation?  Is this worthwhile?  Do I feed the spots to the remote station end or the Maestro?  Which computer end is best for logging operations, the remote or the station?  Where is the best source of help showing how to setup and implement this selection?  What are the limitations on showing the spots?  How does COM numbering affect or allow this?  The computer at the remote end has over 15 COM ports and addressing them has been an issue with hamlogger because there appears to be a limit, numerically, what the program is capable or looking at.  It appears that when the 6600M was installed, it is paired with COM 19, but hamlogger will not recognize and provides an error message on start up.  COM 19 shows in device manager.   I know nothing about the overview on what needs to be provided or available in to get spots from hamlogger32 to the Flex.  A flow chart or  video, might be helpful for me to conceptually understand the requirements of the software better.  Thank you.

Bob
 

Logger outputs N1MM+ formatted DX Spot data (and a whole bunch more - tooltip test, background color, and text color to match the DX Spot window settings) on localhost address 127.0.0.1 on port 12061. Software called Slice-Master listens on this port (in the same PC as Logger32) and overlays the DX Spot info onto the Flex Radio eye candy. How you configure the various components for your remote configuration is of no concern to Logger32. Now to your question about 16 serial ports limit in Logger32 ... Yes, Microsoft have restricted the number of serial ports supported by the MSCOMM32.OCX to 16. However, if you Google MSCOMM32 16 PORTS, you'll find a gazillion ways to hack your way around this limitation. Simplified, you need to do the following:

a) Make a backup copy of the MSCOMM32.OCX
b) With a HEX editor find the byte sequence 3D 10 00 in the file and change it to 3D FF 00
c) Save the change

Or, ask here for anyone who has made the hack to share the file with you. SeventyThree(s).

On November 29, 2019 at 6:09 PM rodman@... wrote:

I am going to post this same exact information to hamlogger too.  I have the Maestro/6600M pair.  At the remote location, I normally use Hamlogger32, but can use N1MM.  I am hoping to show spots on the Maestro, but I have no conception of how to organize the two locations to accomplish this.  I read the brief posting on how to get N1MM to connect to the system and shows information about an ip address of 127.x.x.x and I have no understanding on how that number will be useful.  All my computers are 192.x.x.x and this whole situation leads me to several questions.  Some are simple like, how do I begin to set up the computer at either end to do this?  What steps does one follow?  What is ideal or best program for this operation?  Is this worthwhile?  Do I feed the spots to the remote station end or the Maestro?  Which computer end is best for logging operations, the remote or the station?  Where is the best source of help showing how to setup and implement this selection?  What are the limitations on showing the spots?  How does COM numbering affect or allow this?  The computer at the remote end has over 15 COM ports and addressing them has been an issue with hamlogger because there appears to be a limit, numerically, what the program is capable or looking at.  It appears that when the 6600M was installed, it is paired with COM 19, but hamlogger will not recognize and provides an error message on start up.  COM 19 shows in device manager.   I know nothing about the overview on what needs to be provided or available in to get spots from hamlogger32 to the Flex.  A flow chart or  video, might be helpful for me to conceptually understand the requirements of the software better.  Thank you.

 

Rick Ellison
 

I think Bob needs to build a new version of Logger32 on VB.NET. This way you can have up to 256 com ports to use. J

 

73 Rick

 

From: hamlogger@groups.io [mailto:hamlogger@groups.io] On Behalf Of Bob
Sent: Friday, November 29, 2019 7:44 PM
To: hamlogger@groups.io
Subject: Re: [hamlogger] Spot display 6600M

 

Logger outputs N1MM+ formatted DX Spot data (and a whole bunch more - tooltip test, background color, and text color to match the DX Spot window settings) on localhost address 127.0.0.1 on port 12061. Software called Slice-Master listens on this port (in the same PC as Logger32) and overlays the DX Spot info onto the Flex Radio eye candy. How you configure the various components for your remote configuration is of no concern to Logger32. Now to your question about 16 serial ports limit in Logger32 ... Yes, Microsoft have restricted the number of serial ports supported by the MSCOMM32.OCX to 16. However, if you Google MSCOMM32 16 PORTS, you'll find a gazillion ways to hack your way around this limitation. Simplified, you need to do the following:

 

a) Make a backup copy of the MSCOMM32.OCX

b) With a HEX editor find the byte sequence 3D 10 00 in the file and change it to 3D FF 00

c) Save the change

 

Or, ask here for anyone who has made the hack to share the file with you. SeventyThree(s).

On November 29, 2019 at 6:09 PM rodman@... wrote:

I am going to post this same exact information to hamlogger too.  I have the Maestro/6600M pair.  At the remote location, I normally use Hamlogger32, but can use N1MM.  I am hoping to show spots on the Maestro, but I have no conception of how to organize the two locations to accomplish this.  I read the brief posting on how to get N1MM to connect to the system and shows information about an ip address of 127.x.x.x and I have no understanding on how that number will be useful.  All my computers are 192.x.x.x and this whole situation leads me to several questions.  Some are simple like, how do I begin to set up the computer at either end to do this?  What steps does one follow?  What is ideal or best program for this operation?  Is this worthwhile?  Do I feed the spots to the remote station end or the Maestro?  Which computer end is best for logging operations, the remote or the station?  Where is the best source of help showing how to setup and implement this selection?  What are the limitations on showing the spots?  How does COM numbering affect or allow this?  The computer at the remote end has over 15 COM ports and addressing them has been an issue with hamlogger because there appears to be a limit, numerically, what the program is capable or looking at.  It appears that when the 6600M was installed, it is paired with COM 19, but hamlogger will not recognize and provides an error message on start up.  COM 19 shows in device manager.   I know nothing about the overview on what needs to be provided or available in to get spots from hamlogger32 to the Flex.  A flow chart or  video, might be helpful for me to conceptually understand the requirements of the software better.  Thank you.


 

@sy308
 

I found mscomm32.ocx in two locations in my computer.  First is C:$WINDOWS.~BT\NewOS\Windows\SysWOW64 and the second is C:\Windows\SysWOW64.  My bet is the second location.  Am I correct??

Bob
 

Does it matter? Zap both of them (just to cover your ass) ... SeventyThree(s).

On November 30, 2019 at 9:25 PM rodman@... wrote:

I found mscomm32.ocx in two locations in my computer.  First is C:$WINDOWS.~BT\NewOS\Windows\SysWOW64 and the second is C:\Windows\SysWOW64.  My bet is the second location.  Am I correct??

 

@sy308
 

Bob, I am pretty sure I did what you suggested, but Logger 32 will not run at all unless I put the original .Ocx file back in the two directories.

Summary:  I used HxD to modify MSComm32.Ocx with that exact name with the 3D FF 00 modification.  I put the file, into the two directories with the name 3dff00MSComm.Ocx, renamed the original file 3D1000MSComm.Ocx and dropped the 3dff00 on the new file in BOTH locations where I found the file.  Both directories then had the modified .Ocx file (I checked) but Logger32 would NOT run unless I renamed the original files.  An error message came up, listing MSCOMM.OCX (IN CAPITALS) as the source of the error.  I then put the original files with original names back in.  I am operating the computer by remote control.  I did not restart and did not initiate a restore point either.

Logger 32 is running as before with the COM19 warning on start up.

??  Thanks

Bob
 

I put the file, into the two directories with the name 3dff00MSComm.Ocx, renamed the original file 3D1000MSComm.Ocx and dropped the 3dff00 on the new file in BOTH locations where I found the file.

I read this twice, and I'm still confused ... The modified file must be named MSComm32.ocx, that is what Logger32 is looking for. Also, a reboot of the PC is probably in order so that the modified file is loaded. 73.

On December 1, 2019 at 12:03 PM rodman@... wrote:

Bob, I am pretty sure I did what you suggested, but Logger 32 will not run at all unless I put the original .Ocx file back in the two directories.

Summary:  I used HxD to modify MSComm32.Ocx with that exact name with the 3D FF 00 modification.  I put the file, into the two directories with the name 3dff00MSComm.Ocx, renamed the original file 3D1000MSComm.Ocx and dropped the 3dff00 on the new file in BOTH locations where I found the file.  Both directories then had the modified .Ocx file (I checked) but Logger32 would NOT run unless I renamed the original files.  An error message came up, listing MSCOMM.OCX (IN CAPITALS) as the source of the error.  I then put the original files with original names back in.  I am operating the computer by remote control.  I did not restart and did not initiate a restore point either.

Logger 32 is running as before with the COM19 warning on start up.

??  Thanks

 

@sy308
 

Bob, I DID rename the modified file to reflect the original expected name.  When I did this, Logger32 would not run.  When I renamed the original file to MSComm32.Ocx, (and changed the new modified file name so that there would not be two files with the same name) the program loaded and operated as before.  In your experience, this isn't some stupid thing like the file needs a registry hack to repoint to the new file location and remove traces of the original is it?  Thanks.

Bob
 

... other then the need for a reboot and possibly re-register as mentioned before), nothing comes to mind. 73.

On December 1, 2019 at 2:29 PM rodman@... wrote:

Bob, I DID rename the modified file to reflect the original expected name.  When I did this, Logger32 would not run.  When I renamed the original file to MSComm32.Ocx, (and changed the new modified file name so that there would not be two files with the same name) the program loaded and operated as before.  In your experience, this isn't some stupid thing like the file needs a registry hack to repoint to the new file location and remove traces of the original is it?  Thanks.

 

@sy308
 

register? 

Bob
 

On December 1, 2019 at 10:33 PM rodman@... wrote:

register? 

 

Bob
 

To make sure we were on the same page, I downloaded the HxD editor. Added ports 20 & 21 to the PC. Modified the SYSWOW64 copy of MSCOMM32.OCX (I'm running 64 bit Win 10) like this:


HxD automatically saved a before copy for me. I opened Logger32 and went to setup the radio serial port. I see this:

 

5 minutes tops. No backup copies, file moving, rebooting, or re-registering. SeventyThree(s). Enjoy.

On December 1, 2019 at 10:33 PM rodman@... wrote:

register? 

 

@sy308
 

Bob, thanks.  I am glad it works for you.  Did you do anything with the register link you sent me, by the way????  I am at the station right now and will try again.

@sy308
 

I have success now, Bob.  I have COM19 working and it is polling the FLEX with a bunch of ZZxx lines, but no return information and Logger32 is showing the frequency, YET.  Working on it.  Thank you.

Bob
 

I did EXACTLY what I said. No, backup copies, no file renames, no reboots, no re-registers. 73.

On December 2, 2019 at 8:05 PM rodman@... wrote:

Bob, thanks.  I am glad it works for you.  Did you do anything with the register link you sent me, by the way????  I am at the station right now and will try again.