Sorting issue with Callsign

Paul Leger

I just starting noticing something strange when I sort on call sign... It seems to go from Z to K or another letter rather than Y or X or anything else. It jumps around. I tried changing the secondary code and the primary code to name, etc... and the sort order then became even stranger. If I try to sort of country name it's actually sorting on country code.

Anyone have these issues or know a way to fix it? I have 75,000 qsos in the file. The QSO date one works. Country only works with country code. I haven't tried the states. I don't use that one much. Anyway any help would be greatly appreciated. And if it's been asked before sorry. I did check but couldn't find anything similar.

Paul
VE9NC

Paul Leger

To clarify... if I go from 1 to whatever it jumps... to something else. If I go backwards from Z it jumps to R or K but not Y. Etc. Forwards or back it's just not in order. Also if I do a search on call sign they're not actually sorted either. Not sure if they were ever meant that way or not. Anyway... not a huge deal except I do use the feature to sort on call signs once in a while and somewhere along the line it broke.

Paul
VE9NC

Bob

You said: somewhere along the line it broke.

Sure sounds like it. I recommend you make an ADIF backup of your logbook and put it under the mattress for safe keeping. Then try rebuilding the logbook.

And, the ADIF defined DXCC field stores the country code. That's why it sorts by Country code.

SeventyThree(s).

On 05/11/2022 5:14 PM Paul Leger <legerpj@...> wrote:

To clarify... if I go from 1 to whatever it jumps... to something else. If I go backwards from Z it jumps to R or K but not Y. Etc. Forwards or back it's just not in order. Also if I do a search on call sign they're not actually sorted either. Not sure if they were ever meant that way or not. Anyway... not a huge deal except I do use the feature to sort on call signs once in a while and somewhere along the line it broke.

Paul
VE9NC

Paul Leger

So I tried a few things...

1) I exported the entire database. I rebuilt the database. It lost all the data from January to the present. I believe that is when I updated from 3 to 4. I am not entirely sure but I think that's when it happened. I am not sure why it decided to erase the last three months but they disappeared. Oh, well I had the ADIF file. Not a problem.

2) I changed the logbook name and then re-imported the export complete ADIF file into the new database. That did work temporarily. Sorting worked for a bit. Then I noticed the same issue again.. I did a few things when it did work. I exported the eqsl and lotw files for the last day. And then I manually synced the LOTW. Everything seemed normal until I restarted the file. Then the sort on call sign no longer works again.

3) I then tried a new install of Logger32 I changed the name of the logger32 folder and imported a brand new copy. I took the ini file from the backup and everything worked for about a few minutes. Then I noticed it was still not sorting on call signs again. This time its a brand new everything except the ini file.

4) Then I tried to rebuilt the database on the clean install. I immediately checked and that actually didn't fix the sorting issue. It's still not working. It's jumping from Z to all over the place backwards and forwards. The reason I said Z is when I click on call sign it's goes to Z and I move backwards... that's why I say Z. I the case of what I am observing right now. It goes through a sorted list of Z fine and then jumps backwards to K.

I am using the UDP with WSTJ-X in case that has anything to do with it.

I am stumped... seems like it just doesn't seem to like whatever is in there but it's a different logbook and a completely fresh install minus the ini file.

Paul
VE9NC

Bob

You said: That did work temporarily. Sorting worked for a bit.

Time to run some diagnostics and defrag on your HDD/SSD? SeventyThree(s)

On 05/12/2022 10:03 AM Paul Leger <legerpj@...> wrote:

1) I exported the entire database. I rebuilt the database. It lost all the data from January to the present. I believe that is when I updated from 3 to 4. I am not entirely sure but I think that's when it happened. I am not sure why it decided to erase the last three months but they disappeared. Oh, well I had the ADIF file. Not a problem.

2) I changed the logbook name and then re-imported the export complete ADIF file into the new database. That did work temporarily. Sorting worked for a bit. Then I noticed the same issue again.. I did a few things when it did work. I exported the eqsl and lotw files for the last day. And then I manually synced the LOTW. Everything seemed normal until I restarted the file. Then the sort on call sign no longer works again.

3) I then tried a new install of Logger32 I changed the name of the logger32 folder and imported a brand new copy. I took the ini file from the backup and everything worked for about a few minutes. Then I noticed it was still not sorting on call signs again. This time its a brand new everything except the ini file.

4) Then I tried to rebuilt the database on the clean install. I immediately checked and that actually didn't fix the sorting issue. It's still not working. It's jumping from Z to all over the place backwards and forwards. The reason I said Z is when I click on call sign it's goes to Z and I move backwards... that's why I say Z. I the case of what I am observing right now. It goes through a sorted list of Z fine and then jumps backwards to K.

I am stumped... seems like it just doesn't seem to like whatever is in there but it's a different logbook and a completely fresh install minus the ini file.

Paul
VE9NC

Bob

... and make sure you have a copy of your logbook (in ADIF format) safely hidden away somewhere other than on your PC. SeventyThree(s).

On 05/12/2022 10:15 AM Bob <k4cy@...> wrote:

You said: That did work temporarily. Sorting worked for a bit.

Time to run some diagnostics and defrag on your HDD/SSD? SeventyThree(s)
On 05/12/2022 10:03 AM Paul Leger <legerpj@...> wrote:

Paul
VE9NC

Paul Leger

So I narrowed it down further. Within the small logbook page using the regular size on the screen which is about 3" I found that the mouse wheel will actually work and it's sorted properly. I can't use the click on the slider or pull the tab up and down because it jumps all over.

If I expand the logbook page to the entire screen and use the mouse... the sorting issues starts all over. It jumps much like the slider and pull button.

So rather than a log book problem in the database maybe it's something to do with that particular window. As I mentioned I have 75,000 entries so not a small amount of data. I am stumped now.

Paul Leger

I did the diagnostics and its says no errors found. And it's a SSD... and it's not defragged. I checked those. And my ADIF is on a stick.

Bob

I am unable to recreate your problem. As you have mentioned that the behavior varies with different window sizes, make the logbook page window whatever height you want it, then adjust it so that the bottom (unpopulated row) is about 1/4 of the normal row height. SeventyThree(s).

On 05/12/2022 10:38 AM Paul Leger <legerpj@...> wrote:

I did the diagnostics and its says no errors found. And it's a SSD... and it's not defragged. I checked those. And my ADIF is on a stick.

Paul Leger

Sorry... meant to say thanks for the help. Also for the QSOs over the years. I have been using Logger32 for a long time. I think it was around 2001 when I started using it. So I am familiar with it.

I ran all the HD diagnostics I can think of. No errors found. The computer seems normal on everything else. I am not having any issues at all with it. I can likely live with the sorting issue. It's just was a puzzling thing to me. As I mention the wheel seems to work with sort on a small window. Just with the sheer volume of qsos make it slow doing it that way. Seems like every time Windows 10 updates... things get weird.

Paul

Panos

Hi, sorting works here (win 10) pse try to install Logger32 on another computer with new installation and  5 or 10 new qso's (don't insert from tadif) maybe this works 73

Rob

works fine here with 136,000 QSOs on Windows 10

73 de Rob G4UJS

NICK K. PLUMIDAKIS

Works perfect in 60.000 qso"s in w10pro.
Best 73's DE SV1VS 

-------- Original message --------
Date: 5/13/22 13:23 (GMT+02:00)
To: hamlogger@groups.io
Subject: Re: [hamlogger] Sorting issue with Callsign

works fine here with 136,000 QSOs on Windows 10

73 de Rob G4UJS

Paul Leger

I figured out what is actually happening. I have 75,000 Qsos by the way. It didn't start this until recently but I am not sure if the number has anything to do with it. However after hours of playing with it I figured out what is causing the issue for me. I am not sure if it's fixable or even why it's happening but...

If I set up my windows on Logger32 the way I like them... the sort depends on the size of the windows and is temporary. It's temporary because when I turn on the UDP map and the sort goes crazy. I turn it back off and the sort restores itself. Works every time. So it's repeatable here. Now why exactly it does that I have no clue. I only know what is happening and which window affects it. Why it's only affecting the call sign sort is a mystery . Also doesn't matter where the UDP Map is on screen. I had it on the second screen and it made no difference. So it's not in Logger32 maybe... it's in the UDP map interface with WSTJ. That's all I found out. If I want it to work I have to turn it off.

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.

Paul VE9NC