Topics

Request for Mode selection on the fly

Fabio IZ8MBW

Hi Bob and all.
In Logger32 currently, for what I know, there is not the possibility to choose and change the Mode "on the fly" if "Mode from radio or DX Spots" or "Mode from BandPlan" is selected.

For example if one of "Mode from radio or DX Spots" or "Mode from BandPlan" is selected to change the Mode in the Logbook Entry window is mandatory to disable both options (to do that are needed 4 mouse clicks).
Since there are multiple operating Modes that use only one radio Mode (there is not a relationship 1 to 1 between"Operating Mode" and "Radio Mode") it will be useful that, also if one of "Mode from radio or DX Spots" or "Mode from BandPlan" options is selected, it will possible to change "on the fly" the Mode which then will go to temporarily "overwrite" the Logger32 proposed Mode.

For example talking about Digital Modes, generally more "Digital Modes" share the same Radio Mode (USB-D for example).

A "real life" example can be a DX Spot (without Comment) of a station that is operating in RTTY on the BandPlan portion that is for PSK31, or a a DX Spot (without Comment) of a station that is operating in RTTY on the BandPlan portion that is for SSB, and so on...

What I'm asking is to leave Logger32 as is it now and only add a drop down menu on the "Mode" in the Logbook Entry Window so it's possible quickly to change "on the fly" the Mode (taking the Modes list from what is in the "Setup Band & Modes" table).

Hope it can be implemented and hope can help all Logger32 users.

Thank you.

73s
Fabio, IZ8MBW

Jim Altman

Just click on the word “Mode” in the log entry screen. Is that not what you need?

Jim Altman

jaltman636@...

[...]

Hi Jim, if you have on of "Mode from radio or DX Spots" or "Mode from BandPlan" selected you cannot change the Mode until you disable them.

.

On Wednesday, February 17, 2021, 03:13:09 PM GMT+1, Jim Altman <jaltman636@...> wrote:

[...]

Bob <k4cy@...>

Fabio, your 'real life' scenario, is not real. As soon as you open MMTTY or MMVARI on RTTY, the mode automatically changes. SeventyThree(s).

On 02/17/2021 9:00 AM iz8mbw via groups.io <iz8mbw@...> wrote:

[...]

'real life' scenario can be also to use another Digital Mode software rather than use the embedded Sound data window.
So use another Digital Mode software and put the Callsign in Logger32 for logging.
This is an example.

Do you agree?  :-)

Anyway if you have one of "Mode from radio or DX Spots" or "Mode from BandPlan" selected you cannot change the Mode until you disable them.

73s

Il mercoledì 17 febbraio 2021, 15:36:16 CET, Bob <k4cy@...> ha scritto:

[...]

Fabio, If you don't use MMTTY or MMVARI, then I can't help you. May I recommend you use a logging program more suitable for your needs. I offer a full refund of the Logger32 license fee, but there is no refund the annual maintenance fee. SeventyThree(s).

On 02/17/2021 9:57 AM iz8mbw via groups.io <iz8mbw@...> wrote:

[...]

No Bob, you must refund me for both license and annual maintenance fee, no compromises....  :-)

Jokes aside and aside the use of MMTTY/MMVARI (that cannot mange all the Digital Modes that an user can use) can be useful to set the Mode "on the fly".
If you want to implement it you can consider it as an extra boost for L32.

Thank you always for your job on L32.

Ciao and 73s!

Gary Hinson

I agree with the principle: it’s all very well Logger32 determining what modes I am presumably using according to my bandplan or radio, and almost all the time it is correct, but still as the human being in charge of my station, I’d like to be able to override L32’s determination with a deliberate manual mode choice of my own before the QSO is logged.

I appreciate I can disable the ‘Mode from …’ log entry pane options with a few clicks, set the mode manually, log the QSO, then enable those options with yet more clicks.

I also appreciate I can log a QSO as, say, FT8 and then ‘immediately’ change the logged QSO to show CW, but the FT8 QSO will already have been uploaded to Club Log [and potentially other online logs] thanks to L32LogSync.  Woe is me.

However, this is such a rare occurrence for me personally that I’ll put up with Logger32 as it is and carry on saving up for my next annual subscription.

No Bob, you must refund me for both license and annual maintenance fee, no compromises....  :-)

Jokes aside and aside the use of MMTTY/MMVARI (that cannot mange all the Digital Modes that an user can use) can be useful to set the Mode "on the fly".
If you want to implement it you can consider it as an extra boost for L32.

Thank you always for your job on L32.

Ciao and 73s!

n5kd

I was using L32LogSync to upload every QSO when logged.
But, I have changed it to do that manually on demand.
My LoTW account has too many QSOs with wrong Mode or Band or Frequency or Call.

73’ Pete, N5KD.

On Feb 17, 2021, at 19:47, Gary Hinson <Gary@...> wrote:

[...]

Same for me with LoTW Pete.   I upload once or twice a day at the moment, and download confirmations once a week or so.

At least Club Log lets us clear and re-load our logs from time to time, and the consequences of duff QSOs are trivial, so I’m happy enough to upload QSOs to LoTW as they are logged.

There’s a lively thread running on the ARRL LoTW reflector around the information security controls for LoTW – specifically the integrity controls.  While some whine about the ‘excessive’ security that makes LoTW so tough to use (allegedly), at the same tome others complain that ‘the system’ isn’t secure enough to ensure adequate integrity.   It’s a classic rock-vs-hard-place debate, made a little more interesting by the passionate, forthright views of hams who seem to think they alone have The Ultimate Solution, and by the prospect of ARRL finally getting its act in gear on LoTW 2.0 – hopefully anyway.

No Bob, you must refund me for both license and annual maintenance fee, no compromises....  :-)

Jokes aside and aside the use of MMTTY/MMVARI (that cannot mange all the Digital Modes that an user can use) can be useful to set the Mode "on the fly".
If you want to implement it you can consider it as an extra boost for L32.

Thank you always for your job on L32.

Ciao and 73s!

Gary Hinson

Ooops.

I’m happy enough to upload QSOs to LoTW as they are logged” → I meant Club Log of course, not LoTW.

[...]

I'm happy to hear that also others Logger32 users likes my proposal to have the possibility to change "on the fly" (and quickly) the Mode on the Logbook Entry window.
Hope Bob gives us this new present, also if I will make a reason for the annual fee   :-)

Stay safe.

73s