Topics

Reinstallation on new computer

Alex Dolgosh

After a catastrophic computer failure two months ago, I did a new install on the new computer (lgr32full3500.zip) from the web site.  I let it upgrade to 3.50.423 and copied over my fully backed-up user files and log.  Everything seems fine – EXCEPT my TX PWR levels (from the Bands and Modes default list) are not being logged for any new contacts.  The Logbook Page TX PWR column is empty for any new contacts, and I have to go back to type the power level in manually.  The column is populated for all the old contacts.

I can’t find the answer in the help file.  Any suggestions?

Al – K8EUR

ja1nlx

Al

In Band/Mode setup table you should set PWR. It is empty with default settings.

73

On 2020/10/22 10:40, Alex Dolgosh via groups.io wrote:

After a catastrophic computer failure two months ago, I did a new install on the new computer (lgr32full3500.zip) from the web site.  I let it upgrade to 3.50.423 and copied over my fully backed-up user files and log.  Everything seems fine – EXCEPT my TX PWR levels (from the Bands and Modes default list) are not being logged for any new contacts.  The Logbook Page TX PWR column is empty for any new contacts, and I have to go back to type the power level in manually.  The column is populated for all the old contacts.

I can’t find the answer in the help file.  Any suggestions?

Al – K8EUR

F4FQH Olivier

Hi

just for ifos for ALL users,

Every month or week, or...... copy the entire folder of logger32 where you want, a usb key, external HDD, cloud........ for the ones who don’t have an automatic complete HDD backup.
And if you have a crash like Al, you will reinstall logger in 10 minutes..

73s

Olivier
F4FQH

After a catastrophic computer failure two months ago, I did a new install on the new computer (lgr32full3500.zip) from the web site.  I let it upgrade to 3.50.423 and copied over my fully backed-up user files and log.  Everything seems fine – EXCEPT my TX PWR levels (from the Bands and Modes default list) are not being logged for any new contacts.  The Logbook Page TX PWR column is empty for any new contacts, and I have to go back to type the power level in manually.  The column is populated for all the old contacts.

I can’t find the answer in the help file.  Any suggestions?

Al – K8EUR

kenfilmer@outlook.com

That is a good idea Oliver!

73

Ken

G3XPO

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

After a catastrophic computer failure two months ago, I did a new install on the new computer (lgr32full3500.zip) from the web site.  I let it upgrade to 3.50.423 and copied over my fully backed-up user files and log.  Everything seems fine – EXCEPT my TX PWR levels (from the Bands and Modes default list) are not being logged for any new contacts.  The Logbook Page TX PWR column is empty for any new contacts, and I have to go back to type the power level in manually.  The column is populated for all the old contacts.

I can’t find the answer in the help file.  Any suggestions?

Al – K8EUR

Vince Shirley

Hi,

It's a very good move.  It's saved me on at least a couple of occasions.

I have a batch file which runs Logger32, then on closing copies the full Logger directory to several other fixed and portable drives.

For the record....my Logger32 installation is on drive D.

cd "D:\Logger32"
START Logger32.exe \maxdxspots=1000\
PAUSE
COPY "D:\Logger32\*.*" "C:\USERS\EOL\GOOGLE DRIVE\LOGGER32"
COPY "D:\Logger32\*.*" "C:\LOGGER32\"
COPY "D:\Logger32\*.*" "E:\LOGGER BACKUPS\LOGGER32"
COPY "D:\Logger32\*.*" "G:\LOGGER BACKUPS\LOGGER32"
COPY "D:\Logger32\*.*" "K:\LOGGER BACKUPS\LOGGER32"
COPY "D:\Logger32\*.*" "F:\LOGGER BACKUPS\LOGGER32"
COPY "E:\Logbook Backups and Uploads\*.*" "G:\Logbook Backups and Uploads"
PAUSE
EXIT

Vince

On Thu, 22 Oct 2020 at 13:21, kenfilmer@... <kenfilmer@...> wrote:

That is a good idea Oliver!

73

Ken

G3XPO

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

After a catastrophic computer failure two months ago, I did a new install on the new computer (lgr32full3500.zip) from the web site.  I let it upgrade to 3.50.423 and copied over my fully backed-up user files and log.  Everything seems fine – EXCEPT my TX PWR levels (from the Bands and Modes default list) are not being logged for any new contacts.  The Logbook Page TX PWR column is empty for any new contacts, and I have to go back to type the power level in manually.  The column is populated for all the old contacts.

I can’t find the answer in the help file.  Any suggestions?

Al – K8EUR

Gary Hinson

Copying ‘everything’ to multiple drives may not be the most efficient, effective or sensible backup strategy.  There are still risks e.g. consider these half-dozen possibilities:

  1. For some reason, your current logbook gets corrupted or damaged while in use (e.g. you accidentally delete or damage one or more QSOs from your logbook) … and the backup routine then overwrites all your backups with the corrupted logbook.  Good luck finding any remaining uncorrupted copies!

  2. You pick up a malware infection, such as ransomware that scrambles all accessible data on all accessible drives, including cloud-based drives such as Google Drive.  You lose the lot.

  1. The backup script/batch file fails to work as anticipated, for example if one of those drives is full, the script may simply stop running.  It may not even give you an error message that you notice, especially if it is running in the background while you are tidying up and leaving the shack, thinking it is all under control!

  1. You experience a problem and decide to recover from backups: which backup copy will you use?  With numerous copies littered around the place, you may get confused, perhaps choosing one that is out-of-date or incomplete, perhaps scrambling the remaining backups in the process (e.g. you recover an incomplete backup then run your script to start Logger32, notice the incompleteness, then close Logger32 … whereupon the backup script overwrites any remaining full backups with the incomplete one!  Oh oh!).

  1. A power glitch, spike, RF feedback, lightning strike, cyberattack or “technology issue” corrupts your system and/or the logbook and/or the backups.  A fire consumes your shack.  A thief steals your shack computers … and then corrupts or destroys your online accounts including that Google drive in order to conceal any evidence, or simply out of malice.  …   etc.

  1. Bob finally loses all remaining patience with our incessant complaints and demands, and decides to cease supporting Logger32 for free, forever.  Perhaps something makes him so livid that he releases a version of the program which silently corrupts or destroys our logbooks, just because he can.  More likely, an unrecognised problem in the database software or program causes irrecoverable and initially unnoticed corruption … and we don’t spot or stop it before the logbook and all our recent backups are damaged or lost.

I appreciate these are quite unlikely, verging on impossible.  I know there are controls that may yet save the day, even if these situations play out.  I also know there are other variants and disaster scenarios (I have at least one in mind but I won’t bore you with it now!).  My point is to be extra careful about protecting your most important and valuable data – in particular your electronic log.

I therefore encourage everyone to make and test offline log backups every so often:

  • The ADIF standard is an excellent choice of backup format, since the stored QSO information is likely to be readable by any ADIF-compliant program, not necessarily Logger32.   As a plain text format, it is even possible to extract and if necessary repair QSO information manually using a plain text editor and a lot of patience.
  • “Offline” means storing the backups on a USB drive, CD/DVD or some other removeable medium that you actually remove from the system after making the backup and store securely, preferably in a fire safe or other safe and trustworthy place away from the shack (a relative or friend’s house maybe, or the radio club?).
  • “Every so often” means bear in mind that you may lose everything stored/changed since the previous offline backup.  However, every time you load the medium to make a new backup, the stored information is at risk … so it helps to have at least two backup media, which you update alternately (e.g. one for even months, another for odd months).
  • Testing that you can actually recover your information from the backup/s is an important assurance check.  Don’t just restore a backup over the live information, since it may not go to plan!  Test recovery on a different system, and test the recovered log thoroughly to be sure there are no hidden issues.
  • Make a few backups (not loads, just a few) and store them separately to guard against fires and thefts etc.  Preferably, designate one of them as your permanent archive, only to be opened and used carefully as an absolute last resort.  Writing a CD-ROM makes sense, since blank CDs are cheap and, once written to disk, the information is unlikely to be changed or deleted.  I suggest making a fresh archive copy (NOT overwriting the previous archive) every birthday or January 1st.  That way, if an utter disaster occurs, you will only lose anything logged in the past year.  Bad but not disastrous.

73

Gary  ZL2iFB   [Information risk professional by day: can you tell?]

After a catastrophic computer failure two months ago, I did a new install on the new computer (lgr32full3500.zip) from the web site.  I let it upgrade to 3.50.423 and copied over my fully backed-up user files and log.  Everything seems fine – EXCEPT my TX PWR levels (from the Bands and Modes default list) are not being logged for any new contacts.  The Logbook Page TX PWR column is empty for any new contacts, and I have to go back to type the power level in manually.  The column is populated for all the old contacts.

I can’t find the answer in the help file.  Any suggestions?

Al – K8EUR

David G3YYD

Why not just use the file history function of Windows?

73 David G3YYD

On 22 Oct 2020 17:24, Vince Shirley <vince.g0orc@...> wrote:
[...]

piouuu

Copying the complete folder of loger32 on an external disk, or NAS or... is the best solution. I make this , i already used this several times for me and for friends and no issues.
Exept sometimes recalculate the stats, why, don’t know but this the only thing i saw on this.

With this, you save all the logger32 config and all around. All programs for e.g logprint is installed here in the logger32 folder and each time i copy the complete logger32 folder i copy all programs configurations.

If each time you overwrite the old backup there is no question about which backup i wil recover...
At least one complete folder backup can help many users to restart their logger32 in several minutes...or moving it to a new computer.
this is not a super secure backup, this is to recover quickly after a crashed HDD for example. For better safety, place some copies of this backup in differents secure places, that’s all. The log must be exported in ADIF sometimes and placed also there.

Install full version, delete logger32 folder of the fresh installed, copy at the same place your backup folder and lets go !! why bother much more time ?

Don’t know...

73s
Olivier
F4FQH