Radio Control Panels problem.

Nick

Hi All,
I have two radios running at the same time, a Kenwood and a Yaesu, with
two RCPs open, one for each radio.
If I make the Kenwood, which is Radio 1 in logger32, the 'primary'
radio, the frequency display for the Kenwood is working but that in the
Yaesu's RCP is blank.
When I make the Yaesu (Radio 2 in logger) the primary radio, both
frequency displays are working.
What am I doing wrong? The radio debug window seems to indicate that the
Yaesu is not being polled when the Kenwood is the primary radio.
I have attached two debug pictures with each radio set as primary.
This one has me stumped, I would like both displays to work, whichever
is primary. Any help appreciated.
Cheers,
--
Nick, EA7JXH

Bob

The second RCP has two modes ... You can open it as SO2V (one radio, two VFOs), or SO2R (two radios). How did you open the second RCP? Then of course, there are options to show (or not show) VFO frequency ... SeventyThree(s).

On 04/26/2021 9:40 AM Nick <nick@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Bob
The second RCP is opened as SO2R and 'Show frequency/mode display' is
ticked...

On 26/04/2021 15:47, Bob wrote:
> The second RCP has two modes ... You can open it as SO2V (one radio, two
> VFOs), or SO2R (two radios). How did you open the second RCP? Then of
> course, there are options to show (or not show) VFO frequency ...
> SeventyThree(s).
>> On 04/26/2021 9:40 AM Nick wrote:
>> Hi All,
>> I have two radios running at the same time, a Kenwood and a Yaesu, with
>> two RCPs open, one for each radio.
>> If I make the Kenwood, which is Radio 1 in logger32, the 'primary'
>> radio, the frequency display for the Kenwood is working but that in the
>> Yaesu's RCP is blank.
>> When I make the Yaesu (Radio 2 in logger) the primary radio, both
>> frequency displays are working.
>> What am I doing wrong? The radio debug window seems to indicate that the
>> Yaesu is not being polled when the Kenwood is the primary radio.
>> I have attached two debug pictures with each radio set as primary.
>> This one has me stumped, I would like both displays to work, whichever
>> is primary. Any help appreciated.
>> Cheers,
>> --
>> Nick, EA7JXH

Bob

OK Nick. I can't test it, so you will have to wait for someone with two radios to help you. 73.

On 26/04/2021 15:47, Bob wrote:
> The second RCP has two modes ... You can open it as SO2V (one radio, two
> VFOs), or SO2R (two radios). How did you open the second RCP? Then of
> course, there are options to show (or not show) VFO frequency ...
> SeventyThree(s).
>> On 04/26/2021 9:40 AM Nick wrote:
>> Hi All,
>> I have two radios running at the same time, a Kenwood and a Yaesu, with
>> two RCPs open, one for each radio.
>> If I make the Kenwood, which is Radio 1 in logger32, the 'primary'
>> radio, the frequency display for the Kenwood is working but that in the
>> Yaesu's RCP is blank.
>> When I make the Yaesu (Radio 2 in logger) the primary radio, both
>> frequency displays are working.
>> What am I doing wrong? The radio debug window seems to indicate that the
>> Yaesu is not being polled when the Kenwood is the primary radio.
>> I have attached two debug pictures with each radio set as primary.
>> This one has me stumped, I would like both displays to work, whichever
>> is primary. Any help appreciated.
>> Cheers,
>> --
>> Nick, EA7JXH

Nick

Hi Bob, thanks for looking at it.
As a further test I swapped the radios round, Yaesu = Radio 1, Kenwood =
Radio 2.
The result is that when radio 1 (Yaesu) is primary, both displays are
populated. When Radio 2 (now Kenwood) is primary, only the Kenwood
frequency is displayed in the main RCP and SO2R is blank.
My conclusion from this is that both the RCP and the SO2R will display
the frequency from the Kenwood radio, (TS-890) whereas the Yaesu radio
(FT-991) will only display its frequency in the main RCP, NOT in the SO2R.

On 26/04/2021 17:49, Bob wrote:
> OK Nick. I can't test it, so you will have to wait for someone with two
> radios to help you. 73.
>> On 04/26/2021 11:45 AM Nick wrote:
>> Hi Bob
>> The second RCP is opened as SO2R and 'Show frequency/mode display' is
>> ticked...
>>
>> On 26/04/2021 15:47, Bob wrote:
>> > The second RCP has two modes ... You can open it as SO2V (one radio,
>> two
>> > VFOs), or SO2R (two radios). How did you open the second RCP? Then of
>> > course, there are options to show (or not show) VFO frequency ...
>> > SeventyThree(s).
>> with
>> the
>> that the

ja1nlx

Nick

I checked this using K3, TS480 and IC7610. All combinations work as expected
on RCP/SO2R.  I have no Yaesu radio to check.

On 26/04/2021 17:49, Bob wrote:
> OK Nick. I can't test it, so you will have to wait for someone with two
> radios to help you. 73.
>> On 04/26/2021 11:45 AM Nick <nick@...> wrote:
>> Hi Bob
>> The second RCP is opened as SO2R and 'Show frequency/mode display' is
>> ticked...
>>
>> On 26/04/2021 15:47, Bob wrote:
>> > The second RCP has two modes ... You can open it as SO2V (one radio,
>> two
>> > VFOs), or SO2R (two radios). How did you open the second RCP? Then of
>> > course, there are options to show (or not show) VFO frequency ...
>> > SeventyThree(s).
>> with
>> the
>> that the

Nick

Aki, thank you for checking.

Bob, I am pretty sure it is something in the configuration for the FT991
radio in Logger32.
I say this because if, in Radio 2 setup I change radio type from FT-991
to FT-9000 the display, perhaps not unexpectedly, displays the frequency
as 10% of what is displayed on the radio. i.e. 144300.00MHz displays as
14300.00MHz in Logger32, but more importantly it displays happily in
both RCP and SO2R as appropriate when switching the primary radio. I
hope that gives some sort of clue as to where the problem lies.

73, Nick

On 27/04/2021 08:41, ja1nlx wrote:
> Nick
>
> I checked this using K3, TS480 and IC7610. All combinations work as expected
> on RCP/SO2R.  I have no Yaesu radio to check.
>
> *73 de aki*
> *JA1NLX*

Bob

Nick, If the FT-991 is configured as radio 1, does the frequency disolay correctly in the primary RCP? 73,

On 04/27/2021 3:08 PM Nick <nick@...> wrote:

Aki, thank you for checking.

Bob, I am pretty sure it is something in the configuration for the FT991
radio in Logger32.
I say this because if, in Radio 2 setup I change radio type from FT-991
to FT-9000 the display, perhaps not unexpectedly, displays the frequency
as 10% of what is displayed on the radio. i.e. 144300.00MHz displays as
14300.00MHz in Logger32, but more importantly it displays happily in
both RCP and SO2R as appropriate when switching the primary radio. I
hope that gives some sort of clue as to where the problem lies.

73, Nick

On 27/04/2021 08:41, ja1nlx wrote:
> Nick
>
> I checked this using K3, TS480 and IC7610. All combinations work as expected
> on RCP/SO2R.  I have no Yaesu radio to check.
>
> *73 de aki*
> *JA1NLX*

Nick

Bob, yes if the FT991 configuration is selected the radio displays
correctly in the primary RCP, but when I switch primary radios the
frequency in the SO2R display is blank.
If I tell logger32 that my Yaesu is a FT-9000, the display, at 10% kHz
works in both the Primary RCP and the SO2R display.
Cheers, Nick

On 27/04/2021 21:21, Bob wrote:
> Nick, If the FT-991 is configured as radio 1, does the frequency disolay
> correctly in the primary RCP? 73,
>> On 04/27/2021 3:08 PM Nick wrote:
>> Aki, thank you for checking.
>>
>> Bob, I am pretty sure it is something in the configuration for the FT991
>> radio in Logger32.
>> I say this because if, in Radio 2 setup I change radio type from FT-991
>> to FT-9000 the display, perhaps not unexpectedly, displays the frequency
>> as 10% of what is displayed on the radio. i.e. 144300.00MHz displays as
>> 14300.00MHz in Logger32, but more importantly it displays happily in
>> both RCP and SO2R as appropriate when switching the primary radio. I
>> hope that gives some sort of clue as to where the problem lies.
>>
>> 73, Nick
>>
>> On 27/04/2021 08:41, ja1nlx wrote:
>> > Nick
>> >
>> > I checked this using K3, TS480 and IC7610. All combinations work as
>> expected
>> > on RCP/SO2R.  I have no Yaesu radio to check.
>> >
>> > *73 de aki*
>> > *JA1NLX*

hamradiogroups@...

Edited

I have used a FT1000D with the RCP for a number of years now and recently acquired a IC-7300 and set up the RCPs in SO2R with the Yaesu as Radio 1 and the Icom as Radio 2.

I have observed a similar issue where the primary radio will show both VFO frequencies and split operation properly but the secondary radio does not. Below are screen shots of my RCPs with each radio as primary.

IC-7300 primary/FT1000D secondary

FT1000D primary/IC-7300 secondary

Below are two screen captures of the serial debugger and you can see that the polling serial messages change when the radio switches from primary to secondary.

A few years back Bob was kind enough to response to my query about the FT1000D/FT991 not displaying the second VFO correctly and fixed this issue. It appears that this possibly is similar issue in the SO2R mode with the second RCP and the different polling messages.

73,

John K5QX

Bob

John, with no radios with CAT capability, it is very difficult to speculate what is wrong. However, I notice in the Radio debug window, that when the Icom is the primary radio, there is no response to polling. That's a starting point. I check with a Beta tester who has one, and he reported all worked as expected. SeventyThree(s).

On 04/27/2021 4:26 PM hamradiogroups@... wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

hamradiogroups@...

My IC-7300 does work correctly when it is the primary radio, I copied off the debug log for both the 7300 and the 1000D and added some comments. Red is the radio response and blue is comments within the debug window.

IC-7300 is primary

Poll main VFO : FE FE 94 E0 25 00 FD

VFO poll Rx : FE FE E0 94 25 00 00 50 00 14 00 FD

Poll sub VFO : FE FE 94 E0 25 01 FD

VFO poll Rx : FE FE E0 94 25 01 00 70 00 14 00 FD

Poll main mode : FE FE 94 E0 26 00 FD

Mode poll Rx : FE FE E0 94 26 00 03 00 01 FD

Poll sub mode : FE FE 94 E0 26 01 FD

Mode poll Rx : FE FE E0 94 26 01 03 00 01 FD

Poll Split : FE FE 94 E0 0F FD

Split Rx : FE FE E0 94 0F 01 FD

Poll main VFO : FE FE 94 E0 25 00 FD

Radios are toggled here so IC-7300 is secondary

The poll request has switched from a 0x25 to a 0x03 command

Poll Freq : FE FE 94 E0 03 FD

The IC-7300 returns VFO A frequency but it is not displayed in the SO2R RCP

Legacy Rx :  FE FE E0 94 03 00 50 00 14 00 FD

Split off detected : SO2R

The IC-7300 does not respond to the 0x04 “Operating Mode” request. I can send this command in my terminal program and the IC-7300 does respond

Poll Mode : FE FE 94 E0 04 FD

The IC-7300 responds to the split poll request with “Split On” but the status in the debug shows “Split off detected”

Poll Split : FE FE 94 E0 0F FD

Split Rx : FE FE E0 94 0F 01 FD

Split off detected : SO2R

FT1000D is secondary

Only the secondary radio’s VFO A is polled (0x10 0x02)

Poll : 00 00 00 02 10

RX : 0C 0A B0 35 00 00 00 02 03 01 03 03 00 00 00 FF

Poll : 00 00 00 02 10

RX : 0C 0A B0 35 00 00 00 02 03 01 03 03 00 00 00 FF

Poll : 00 00 00 02 10

Radios are toggled here so FT1000D is primary

QSY Marker Set : Cleared

Short Poll : 00 00 00 00 FA

Status flags : 09 20 40 10 00

Split on detected : SO2R

As the primary radio, both FT1000D VFOs are polled (0x10 0x03)

Poll : 00 00 00 03 10

Switched radios : FT-1000D now selected.

RX : 0C 0A B0 35 00 00 00 02 03 01 03 03 00 00 00 FF 0C 0A B0 FD 00 00 00 02 00 01 03 03 00 00 00 FF

Short Poll : 00 00 00 00 FA

Status flags : 09 20 40 10 00

Split on detected : SO2R

Thanks,

John K5QX

hamradiogroups@...

I forgot to mention that my Radio 2 serial port setup has the IC-7300 as the selected radio rather than the generic Icom option.

John