From: Michael Tondee
To: hamlogger@...
Sent: Wednesday, July 12, 2000 4:11 PM
Subject: [hamlogger] Parts source for computer/radio interface?

Hi all,
I have an article which I downloaded from the ARRL website called "A trio of Transceiver/Computer interfaces which has a circuit for a Kenwood interface I am interested in building for logger. My problem is a parts source for the main component which is an IC known as a Max232 or Harris ICL232. I tried Digi-key but both were on backorder with no availibility specified. The article mentions pc boards and parts kits but the address is apparently in another chapter which I did not get. Anyone know a source or maybe what League publication this came from?
Thanks in advance,
Michael, W4HIJ

Visit these sites for logger and other downloads:
http://www.itis.net/golist/ and...
http://www.chroniclenetworks.com/~dwm/Logger.htm

mike tenore

I bought a circuit board and a max232 chip from far
circuits for the handbook radio/computer interface and
I put it in a small mini-box it works very well. The
board and the chip together is about ten dollars.

Far circuits web page.
HTTP://www.cl.ais.net/farcir/

http://mail.yahoo.com/

colin brown, <colinjbrown@...>

an alternative to max232 is to use zener diode circuit available from k6xx
web page
http://www.jps.net/k6xx/ikanrite.htm
gm0rlz
colin

I have an article which I downloaded from the ARRL website called "A trio
of Transceiver/Computer interfaces which has a circuit for a Kenwood
interface I am interested in building for logger. My problem is a parts
source for the main component which is an IC known as a Max232 or Harris
ICL232. I tried Digi-key but both were on backorder with no availibility
specified. The article mentions pc boards and parts kits but the address is
apparently in another chapter which I did not get. Anyone know a source or
maybe what League publication this came from?
Thanks in advance,
Michael, W4HIJ

Visit these sites for logger and other downloads:
http://www.itis.net/golist/ and...
http://www.chroniclenetworks.com/~dwm/Logger.htm

n1lpn@...

Try Jameco (www.jameco.com) or local parts store they are fairly common nowadays
Hal, KB1ZQ

Todd Remington <xusmc@...>

Michael Tondee wrote:

Hi all,
I have an article which I downloaded from the ARRL website called "A trio of Transceiver/Computer interfaces which has a circuit for a Kenwood interface I am interested in building for logger. My problem is a parts source for the main component which is an IC known as a Max232 or Harris ICL232. I tried Digi-key but both were on backorder with no availibility specified. The article mentions pc boards and parts kits but the address is apparently in another chapter which I did not get. Anyone know
Thanks in advance,
Michael, W4HIJ
Michael,

Go to Max's webpage and find the link to their "samples" page,
and request a couple of samples...Had mine within a week...
I requested the MAX233, MAX232, and a couple of others for
some different projects...

73 de Todd KH2TJ/6

Scott Northcutt <snorthcutt@...>

Michael Tondee wrote:

[...]

If you can work with surface mount parts, I have a reel of ~1000 MAX232s
that I rescued from a dumpster. I'd be happy to give you as many as you
think you need for this project plus a few spares. E-mail me at
n4jn@.... If any other list subscribers can use the SMT version, I
can snip a few off the roll and ship 'em your way.

73 from Tennessee,
Scott - N4JN

Wagoner, Darryl <darryl@...>

Hi,

I could you a few. I am trying to make a convert to the computer interface
to a icom HF radio.

Thanks

Darryl WA1GON

Darryl Wagoner
P.O. Box 61
Brookline, NH 03033

[...]

Hi Darryl,

How many do you need? Also, I do not have any PCB templates or anything
and these are surface mount parts (i.e. - not DIPs; the only way to get
them to work on perf board will be to "dead bug" them). I think the
pin-to-pin distance is like 50 mils. I just want to make sure that you
know what you're getting so that you're not surprised/ticked off if you
get something unanticipated which may be difficult or impossible to use
for your application. Again, please tell me how many you need and I'll
try to get them in the mail soon. If you need more than a couple, I'll
probably have to put them in a sturdier envelope than plain ol' paper
and send them Priority Mail. If that is how you want them, that is fine
but I'll need to recoup my shipping cost. If memory serves, Priority
Mail is easy and only $3 or so. Please advise me of your wishes.

Very 73,
Scott Northcutt - N4JN

Gregg's Mail <gah@...>

I am sorry to inform you that Gregg Houck suffered a massive heart attack on
6/28/00 and passed away.

I am Jim Hoffman, one of Gregg's friends, his employer, and a fellow Amateur
(KA3HQR).

If you have furthur inquires, e-mail me jimh@...

Sincerely,
Jim