Odd one with rotator

Steve G1XOW

Hi All,

Have been using L32 for a few years now and just spotted something odd. I don’t think this used to happen but cannot be 100% certain.

For example, when I click on a DX spot (e.g. ZF2PG) the popup rip tells me 274 degrees and instructs the rotator to move. However, it’s sending “AP1000” to the rotator instead of the correct bearing. This result in the controller receiving the desired heading of zero and thus it turns CW to 360 degrees.

I have noticed this a few times where it was supposed to be 55 degrees but it also went to 360 CW.

To complicate matters, if I click on the correct place on the DX spot map it always goes to the right bearing.

The controller is a uHam station master which is emulating a Hygain DCU-1 protocol). See debug image attached.

To double check I have confirmed the behaviour is normal and correct when used with PSTrotator instead of L32.

Any ideas?

73 de Steve G1XOW

Gary Hinson

Hi Steve.

Tnx info.

I’m pretty sure someone else reported something very similar with the rotator heading to 0 degrees recently, so it smells like a bug.  Unfortunately, my rotators are old and manual, like me, so I can’t do much fault-finding, but others on the beta crew can.

Bob is stacked-up dealing with a flurry of error-trapped-bugs at the moment, with a new update due out soon plus, hopefully, the final production version of the v4 full installer before long.

I’ll pass your message (and the other one, if I can find it) to Bob and the beta crew anyway.

Please be patient chaps.  Meanwhile, listen out for DX stations due North … such as me, long path on the Far Side 😊

[...]

No worries Gary. The version is 4.0.248 btw.

Get yourself on 80M SSB and we can both work without a rotator !!

73 Steve G1XOW

[...]

SSB?  SSB?  Some new-fangled digimode I presume  😊

I am currently barefoot having added yet another amp to my “Needs fixing” pile, now stacked 4 high.

We’d struggle to make it on 80m, even with JT65 and a voltage surge on the mains.

[...]

Did this bug make it on to the fix list?  Have taken 8 more updates since then, but it still does it. Now on 4.0.256

Rotator keeps being sent to 000 degrees…very tiresome when you are chasing DX in the opposite direction.

73 de Steve G1XOW

[...]

Andy M0NKR

Must be a config issue, not had any problem with rotator in logger32.

Check you don’t have home antennas selected by some key stroke

I do have a problem with logger32 randomly closing though.

73
Andy
Nkr

[...]

<image001.jpg>

Bob

... and what does the rotator debug window when you command the rotator to turn? And then, following the command, what are the poll replies? SeventyThree(s).

[...]

Andy, with every new update I keep adding more error checking in an effort to reduce these elusive random crashes. I don't see them, and the Beta testers don't either. It would help if you could find some clues as to what you're doing (and/or maybe what you're not doing) that causes Logger32 to simply disappear. I could then focus on specific areas of the program to try to find the cause. SeventyThree(s).

On 05/08/2021 5:27 AM Andy M0NKR via groups.io <andrewgoldsmith22@...> wrote:

[...]

Tom Martin

Logger32 randomly closes when I'm operating FT8 with JTDX. It has happened maybe three times in the past week. I'm up to date with the releases.
Thanks, Bob for your excellent program!
73,
Tom W8JWN

Bob

Tom, please continue to look for clues ... Things like this ... It doesn't happen on 80m. Why, what's different about 80m? The rotator is turned off on 80m. Or, maybe if you use a DX Cluster, turn it off for a couple of days. Any better like that? SeventyThree(s).

On 05/08/2021 9:53 AM Tom Martin <tmartin@...> wrote:

Logger32 randomly closes when I'm operating FT8 with JTDX. It has happened maybe three times in the past week. I'm up to date with the releases.
Thanks, Bob for your excellent program!
73,
Tom W8JWN

Andy M0NKR

That could be the issue. I also have JTDX open.

Most times I don’t see it happen, I leave the pc running with everything on and usually when I come back logger32 has closed.

73
Andy
Nkr

On 8 May 2021, at 14:53, Tom Martin <tmartin@...> wrote:

Logger32 randomly closes when I'm operating FT8 with JTDX. It has happened maybe three times in the past week. I'm up to date with the releases.
Thanks, Bob for your excellent program!
73,
Tom W8JWN

Gary Hinson

I guess not, Steve, and sorry I’ve dropped the ball on this one.

I’ll pass your latest email to the beta crew/Bob now.

[...]

Hi Andy & Bob,

Don't think this is a config issue, its too random!  If you click a link sometimes it goes the right the bearing, other times not, then it always goes to 000. However, when I click the spot for a 2nd or 3rd time then it does go the the right bearing eventually. This is very unhelpful to find you are chasing some rare-ish DX, only to eventually figure out you are actually pointing the wrong way!

L32 obviously know the correct bearing because when you hover over it spot the tips pop-up tells you. For example EA3 is 171 degrees click the post for it and the rotator is being sent to 000, click it again and it goes to 171.

I have noticed that this behaviour NEVER happens when you click on a spot on the DX spot map in azimuth view. So something odd is happening only when you click on the DX spots on the band lists.

My home/park bearing is 150 degrees, not 000.

See below for config/diags info.

This is the debug window when I click on a VK4 (should have been 47 degrees, but rotator was sent 000).

And here it is going to the correct bearing first click, and the wrong bearing on the second click a few seconds later.

Bob, let me know if you need any other debug info please.

Pretty certain its not the hardware/comms as neither PSTrotator nor N1MM exhibit the save behaviour. I have also slowed the serial port to 4800,n,8,1 just to be sure.

Bob

To make certail I don't go rushing off in the wrong direction ... Where exactly are you clicking the mouse when whe wrong command is sent ... The DX Spot Window, the BandMap, or a monitor BandMap? 73.

On 05/09/2021 4:29 AM Steve G1XOW <steve@...> wrote:

[...]

Sorry Bob, I thought that I had given what you asked for, if not please explain exactly what you want to see as I am not following it.

Just in case, below is a debug when the rotator is being turned manual by the rotator front panel switches. Polls and responds as expected.

Andy M0NKR

I think from his explanation that it occurs when he clicks on a spot in the DX spot window.

That’s the impression I got.

73
Andy
Nkr

On 9 May 2021, at 11:15, Steve G1XOW <steve@...> wrote:

Sorry Bob, I thought that I had given what you asked for, if not please explain exactly what you want to see as I am not following it.

Just in case, below is a debug when the rotator is being turned manual by the rotator front panel switches. Polls and responds as expected.

<dummyfile.0.part>

John Munton - G7SSE

I read Steve's post as it being the Band Maps.

--
73, John - G7SSE

Andy M0NKR

That also.

I e just set mine on, enable turn rotator on dx spot to see if any issues as I don’t tend to use that mode much as I just click on the circle map to move as I know usually what heading I need.

So far has not caused an issue.

Running the latest update.

73
Andy
Nkr

On 9 May 2021, at 11:39, John Munton - G7SSE <johng7sse@...> wrote:

I read Steve's post as it being the Band Maps.

--
73, John - G7SSE

Steve G1XOW

Bob, its the monitor band map. See below.
I have included a wider image to make it easier.

Take the C31YA spot on 40m bandmap as seen just below the debug panel. The tip for that spot says a bearing 170 degrees. I click it and the rotator is sent to 000 clockwise. As soon as I see it moving the wrong way I click the spot again and it then gets correctly sent to 170 degrees.  Just to reiterate, I have never seen it do this when I click the azimuth view of the DX spots.

If there is a debug file or even a video I can send please let me know.

73 de Steve G1XOW