Topics

LOTW SYNC problem

Jason Rearick

I replaced my computer in the ham shack.  Uploaded Logger32 with no problems.  I added the utility L32LogSync.  I can upload qso's with no problem, but am having a problem with downloading LOTW confirmations.  When I download, it says "4QSOs read. 0 records could not be imported. 4 qsos were updated"   I click OK, but the next time I check for confirmations it says the same thing.  I can do this multiple times in a row and it says the same thing.  I had a LOTWmismatch.text warning come up at first, and tried to fix the troubled calls.  This did not fix things.  Any ideas?

N3YUG
Jason

Gary Hinson

Hi Jason.

I use Logger32 and L32LogSync routinely, uploading QSOs to LoTW once or twice a day and downloading once a week or so.

When downloading, are you using the ‘Date of Last Download’ date?

I normally wind that back a few days from whatever it says to be sure I am downloading all the recent LoTW confirmations, which works fine: Logger32 ignores an exact duplicates already downloaded, then imports the new ones.

It sounds to me as if you are downloading the same 4 QSOs each time, so they should simply be ignored as duplicates by Logger32.  No harm done, or “No worries” as we say.

Gary   ZL2iFB

From: hamlogger@groups.io <hamlogger@groups.io> On Behalf Of Jason Rearick
Sent: 10 January 2021 18:30
To: hamlogger@groups.io
Subject: [hamlogger] LOTW SYNC problem

I replaced my computer in the ham shack.  Uploaded Logger32 with no problems.  I added the utility L32LogSync.  I can upload qso's with no problem, but am having a problem with downloading LOTW confirmations.  When I download, it says "4QSOs read. 0 records could not be imported. 4 qsos were updated"   I click OK, but the next time I check for confirmations it says the same thing.  I can do this multiple times in a row and it says the same thing.  I had a LOTWmismatch.text warning come up at first, and tried to fix the troubled calls.  This did not fix things.  Any ideas?

N3YUG
Jason

Jason Rearick

Gary,  Thanks for the reply.  Yeah, I am using the Date of Last Download.  I think I am seeing the same four QSOs.  I had it come up with 2 at first, and they were added to the Lotwmismatch.txt.  At first with these QSO's I had a different CONTY than LOTW was coming back with.  I have since fixed that. and still comes up with the same QSOs every time. These QSOs are from early to mid this year, and I show them in my logbook as confirmed via LOTW.  WIth the old LOTW EQSL Sync program I had installed on my old Logger32 computer, it never had an issue. If I ran a download from LOTW one right after another, the second one would just show no new confirmations type message.  This is going to be annoying if every time I download from QSO I see at least 4 QSO, that have already confirmed and need not show up.  

Gary Hinson

Hi Jason,

Having downloaded and dealt with those 4 LoTW confirmations before, you should not need to download them and deal with them again … but there’s a wrinkle due to exactly when you last downloaded.  Let me explain …

LoTW itself keeps a record of the date on which you last downloaded your confirmations so that, the next time you run a download, it can supply only subsequent confirmations.  Right now, for instance, LoTW tells me I last downloaded confirmations on Jan 8th:

Notice that LoTW (and L32LogSync) only tells us the DATE of the last download, not the TIME … which always catches my beady eye.  What happens to any confirmations that arrived between the precise moment that I downloaded on Jan 8th and 00:00z on Jan 9th?  If I accept the offered date, will those new Jan 8th confirmations be included in the next batch, or skipped/missed?  That worries me!

There is a clue in the header to each downloaded ADIF e.g. this is from my last download on Jan 8th :

ARRL Logbook of the World Status Report

Generated at 2021-01-08 05:56:03

for zl2ifb

Query:

QSL ONLY: YES

QSL RX SINCE: 2020-12-01 00:00:00 (user supplied value)

<PROGRAMID:4>LoTW

<APP_LoTW_LASTQSL:19>2021-01-08 05:48:10

<APP_LoTW_NUMREC:3>794

<eoh>

I just ran the download again, manually through the LoTW website, and here is the header for today’s download:

Generated at 2021-01-10 17:08:45

for zl2ifb

Query:

QSL RX SINCE: 2021-01-08 00:00:00 (user supplied value)

<APP_LoTW_LASTQSL:19>2021-01-10 15:30:49

<APP_LoTW_NUMREC:2>57

<eoh>

So, it seems LoTW sends us confirmations that arrived at any time on the date shown, or later, even though we may have downloaded some of them already.  Logger32 skips those duplicate confirmations so there’s no problem, aside from duplicate warnings about errors in the country, county, zone or other info.

As a further check, I also downloaded confirmations from LoTW using L32LogSync, without changing its “Date of Last Download”, and here’s the header from that downloaded ADIF:

Generated at 2021-01-10 17:21:00

for zl2ifb

Query:

QSL RX SINCE: 2021-01-08 00:00:00 (user supplied value)

<APP_LoTW_LASTQSL:19>2021-01-10 15:30:49

<APP_LoTW_NUMREC:2>57

<eoh>

And finally, I did yet another L32LogSync download soon after the last, without changing any of the settings: unsurprisingly, LogSync told me there were no new records …

And although an ADIF file was downloaded, it contains only a header with no QSO records:

Generated at 2021-01-10 17:46:13

for zl2ifb

Query:

QSL RX SINCE: 2021-01-11 00:00:00 (user supplied value)

<APP_LoTW_NUMREC:1>0

<eoh>

<APP_LoTW_EOF>

Occasionally (once or twice a year) I pick a download-since date well in the past in order to grab any confirmations that may somehow have slipped between the cracks.  Again, I know most if not all of them will be duplicates which Logger32 will identify and skip, but I’m keen not to miss any others that, somehow, I may have failed to sync properly (e.g. if I downloaded the confirmations but aborted or neglected to run the Logger32 LoTW sync process for some reason).  Also, that gives me the chance to resolve those county and zone anomalies which normally get ignored.  I try to ensure my logbook in Logger32 is an accurate and complete record – my definitive log.

Gary  ZL2iFB

Sent: 11 January 2021 03:34
Subject: Re: [hamlogger] LOTW SYNC problem

Gary,  Thanks for the reply.  Yeah, I am using the Date of Last Download.  I think I am seeing the same four QSOs.  I had it come up with 2 at first, and they were added to the Lotwmismatch.txt.  At first with these QSO's I had a different CONTY than LOTW was coming back with.  I have since fixed that. and still comes up with the same QSOs every time. These QSOs are from early to mid this year, and I show them in my logbook as confirmed via LOTW.  WIth the old LOTW EQSL Sync program I had installed on my old Logger32 computer, it never had an issue. If I ran a download from LOTW one right after another, the second one would just show no new confirmations type message.  This is going to be annoying if every time I download from QSO I see at least 4 QSO, that have already confirmed and need not show up.  

Larry Fravel

I always log onto LOtW and do the download manually.  When it comes to the Date Box I always set the date to at least 5 days back.  That way I never miss anything and when I do a log synch in logger everything is filled in.  Never had a problem with double entries this way and my confirmations stay current.

Larry K8YYY

--
"There are far better things ahead than any we leave behind." C. S. Lewis

Jason Rearick

Gary, I understand what you are saying.  The problem I have is there are four QSOs from May and June of 2020, which have been downloaded, and show confirmed in Logger32 already.  My date since last download is set for today.  Why is it grabbing QSOs from earlier last year, every single time I download?

Jason

Jason Rearick

I have also manually downloaded the last years worth of confirmations from LOTW site.  I then manually updated Logger32 with those.  There were some 23 that had errors in the CNTY field, but all updated fine.  Now when I run L32Sync, it shows 4 QSOs read. 0 records could not be imported and 5 Qsos were updated, every time I hit the download button.  THis never happened with the old LOTW EQSL Sync program, only when I switched to L32Sync.  

Jason

Gary Hinson

Good question, Jason!

Just to be clear though, the ‘date of last download’ is key, not the ‘date of last QSO’ or ‘date of last confirmation’ or whatever.  The fact that those QSOs were last May/June isn’t as interesting as the question of why they keep on appearing in your downloads. 

A recent batch of downloaded LoTW confirmations confirmed a smattering of QSOs back to when I was first licensed as ZL2iFB, 15 years ago.  Most were recent but some LoTW users evidently don’t upload often, and some are signing up to LoTW for the very first time today.

Possibly you’ve encountered an issue with LoTW itself – something odd in the database that means those QSOs are permanently flagged as ‘newly confirmed’ – in which case it’s something to raise with the nice people on the LoTW help desk at ARRL HQ.

Gary  ZL2iFB

Sent: 11 January 2021 08:45

Gary, I understand what you are saying.  The problem I have is there are four QSOs from May and June of 2020, which have been downloaded, and show confirmed in Logger32 already.  My date since last download is set for today.  Why is it grabbing QSOs from earlier last year, every single time I download?

Jason

Rick Ellison

The routine to get qso information from LOTW was not changed between the old program and the new one. All that was changed it went from using a browser control to send the information to using a web link reference. Logsync sends the same command to the LOTW server and just uses the date from the date control as a place to tell the server where to start looking for data. The sending of the data to you is all done via the LOTW server. And Logsync collects the data it sends and presents it to you.

73 Rick N2AMG

From: hamlogger@groups.io [mailto:hamlogger@groups.io] On Behalf Of Jason Rearick
Sent: Sunday, January 10, 2021 3:12 PM

I have also manually downloaded the last years worth of confirmations from LOTW site.  I then manually updated Logger32 with those.  There were some 23 that had errors in the CNTY field, but all updated fine.  Now when I run L32Sync, it shows 4 QSOs read. 0 records could not be imported and 5 Qsos were updated, every time I hit the download button.  THis never happened with the old LOTW EQSL Sync program, only when I switched to L32Sync.  

Jason

Virus-free. www.avast.com

Jason Rearick

Rick Thanks for the reply.  I just verified that also.  I had the old program files, and installed them.  It is doing the same thing.  Is not L32Sync.