Topics

Lost Logger32.exe

KX2A

I was operating JTDX under Logger32, and when I worked someone I received a message about a communications failure.  When I tried to go to the open Logger32 logbook, nothing happened.  I then found that there is no Logger32 anywhere on my computer--Recycle Bin, Logger32 folder, even Rollback.  Is there a way for me to recover Logger32.exe?  I do not have an ADIF of the log, but numerous Logbook32 files appear to be there, along with Logger32.ini.  I also regularly backup when Logger32 updates.

73,
Jan, KX2A

Dave Colliau

Had a similar situation today . Win 7 microsoft essentials removed logger32.exe As a trojan . Not my computer but a friend's . I added an exception and it's fine now but have fun trying to find the damn program on the computer ;) . More MS crap
Dave N8DC

--
Sent from Yahoo Email App for Android

Monday, 15 June 2020, 07:55PM -04:00 from KX2A ditzian@...:

I was operating JTDX under Logger32, and when I worked someone I received a message about a communications failure.  When I tried to go to the open Logger32 logbook, nothing happened.  I then found that there is no Logger32 anywhere on my computer--Recycle Bin, Logger32 folder, even Rollback.  Is there a way for me to recover Logger32.exe?  I do not have an ADIF of the log, but numerous Logbook32 files appear to be there, along with Logger32.ini.  I also regularly backup when Logger32 updates.

73,
Jan, KX2A

Larry Fravel

If you are on WIn 10 go to Windows security, find the notice that tells you it quarantined logge32 as a trojan and tell it to restore it.  it will put the icon back on your desktop.  Make sure you back up your log to an .adi and store it else where.

Larry K8YYY

--
Today is a good day to have a GREAT Day!

KX2A

I found Windows security, but do not see such a notice.  Where should I look once I am at Windows Security?
Jan, KX2A

Dave Colliau

Just add it as an exception and try reloading logger 32 unless you have a copy of logger32.exe somewhere . I was running TeamViewer and copied the file from my computer to my friends and thats where i found that essentials was tagging it as a virus.
Dave N8DC

--
Sent from Yahoo Email App for Android

Monday, 15 June 2020, 08:58PM -04:00 from KX2A ditzian@...:

I found Windows security, but do not see such a notice.  Where should I look once I am at Windows Security?
Jan, KX2A

KX2A

I use AVG for virus control and Windows seems to recognize that and does not do virus checking.  AVG has an easy way of seeing quarantined items, and there have been none since2018.  If Windows did it, I would like directions on where to look.

73,
Jan, KX2A

Dave Colliau

My friend was running avg also . Don't know where the MS crap came in to play but it did.
Dave N8DC

--
Sent from Yahoo Email App for Android

Monday, 15 June 2020, 09:24PM -04:00 from KX2A ditzian@...:

I use AVG for virus control and Windows seems to recognize that and does not do virus checking.  AVG has an easy way of seeing quarantined items, and there have been none since2018.  If Windows did it, I would like directions on where to look.

73,
Jan, KX2A

KX2A

I am pretty dense and need explicit instructions to do things.  Here is what I plan to do:

  1. Rename the Logger32 folder to Logger32.bak
  2. Reinstall from the Logger32 site, using the full version of Logger32, intended for first installations.  This install will be to a new Logger32 folder.
  3. Copy Logger32.ini and all Logbook32.* files from Logger32.bak, replacing the initial default ones in the new installation.
  4. Tell Logger32 where JTDX is.
  5. Reload LotW users file.
  6. Tell the Telnet program where I want it to get DX spots.

I do not know if some of the items needed in steps 4-6 are in other Logger32 files, but I will look.

Does this sound OK, or is there a way to get just Logger32.exe?

Thank you,
Jan, KX2A

Larry Fravel

Look for the Virus Threats and Protection tab - open it -click on current threats- find logger32 and tell it to restore.

Larry K8YYY

--
Today is a good day to have a GREAT Day!

ja1nlx

Jan

You need no steps you plan, instead only 2 steps below.

1. Add Logger32 folder in exception list in your anti-virus software.

2. There is a folder "Updatefiles for ver3.50.nnn". Copy Logger32.exe in the folder in Logger32 folder.

3. Run Logger32

These have been explained many many times for a past few months. Search topic in this reflector.

73

On 2020/06/16 10:57, KX2A wrote:
I am pretty dense and need explicit instructions to do things.  Here is what I plan to do:

  1. Rename the Logger32 folder to Logger32.bak
  2. Reinstall from the Logger32 site, using the full version of Logger32, intended for first installations.  This install will be to a new Logger32 folder.
  3. Copy Logger32.ini and all Logbook32.* files from Logger32.bak, replacing the initial default ones in the new installation.
  4. Tell Logger32 where JTDX is.
  5. Reload LotW users file.
  6. Tell the Telnet program where I want it to get DX spots.

I do not know if some of the items needed in steps 4-6 are in other Logger32 files, but I will look.

Does this sound OK, or is there a way to get just Logger32.exe?

Thank you,
Jan, KX2A

Jan, simply follow these instructions:  https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/threat-protection/microsoft-defender-antivirus/restore-quarantined-files-microsoft-defender-antivirus

73.

On June 15, 2020 at 9:57 PM KX2A <ditzian@...> wrote:

I am pretty dense and need explicit instructions to do things.  Here is what I plan to do:

  1. Rename the Logger32 folder to Logger32.bak
  2. Reinstall from the Logger32 site, using the full version of Logger32, intended for first installations.  This install will be to a new Logger32 folder.
  3. Copy Logger32.ini and all Logbook32.* files from Logger32.bak, replacing the initial default ones in the new installation.
  4. Tell Logger32 where JTDX is.
  5. Reload LotW users file.
  6. Tell the Telnet program where I want it to get DX spots.

I do not know if some of the items needed in steps 4-6 are in other Logger32 files, but I will look.

Does this sound OK, or is there a way to get just Logger32.exe?

Thank you,
Jan, KX2A

GM0WED

On my computer,  I have Logger32.exe as an exception for nearly 6 weeks,  and it ignores it and randomly removes the very programme files stored as the exceptions. It has done this 3 times since putting it into Windows Defender as an exception, last night it was in the middle of using Logger32. So once again I spent time fighting the computer programmers rather than operating radio.  Gardening is less stressful and doesn't involve computers.

So the 'exception' facility is random too.

Ed GM0WED

Democracy,  the election of the most plausible liars.

From: Dave Colliau <n8dc-8@...>
Date: 16/06/2020 01:00 (GMT+00:00)

[...]

my dxspider clusters running on a raspberry pi:
pa4jj-2 83.162.186.242 port 7300
pa4jj-3 83.162.186.242 port 7388

Damian M0BKV

I have had the problem with McAfee virus checker a while back. Numerous others have also. You have to roll back and find an earlier version of the EXE file (logger32.exe) and paste it to your logger folder. This gets Logger32 going. Then with McAfee BEFORE updating to the new version of Logger32, paste the new version file (logger32.exe) to the exception page of McAfee firewall. Then do the update. I reported the problem to the McAfee helpdesk and haven't had the problem since.

Damian M0BKV

Jan don't think you need to do everything you intend doing. Its much more straightforward. See my earlier note.

Damian M0BKV

ALSO numerous people say the virus checker ignored the exception that's probably because the file pasted must be the actual file (logger32. Exe) from the version causing the problem not from an older version

KX2A

Bob,

I followed the link, went to "Virus Threat & Protection." Next step is to click "Protection History," but these words and this link do not exist on this page.  Also, under under "Windows Defender Antivirus," there is the statement "Windows Defender antivirus is turned off."

I already went to AVG's (my virus program) page and the Logger32 folder already is an exception.

73 and TU,

Jan, KX2A

Larry,

There is no link under "Current Threats," only "No actions needed."  I did a Quick Scan anyway, and it resulted in the message, "No current threats."

73 and TU,

Jan, KX2A

JA1NLX,

Next try was JA1NLX, look for a copy of Logger.exe in updatefiles.  That worked!  One copy/paste and Logger was running.  I will surely remember this, since there is no reason to expect that it will not happen again.

73 and TU,

Jan, KX2A

Thank you to all who offered help.  I'm back in the saddle again, back where a friend is a friend.  However, now I receive a message that update 3.50.418 is ready but no update happens when I click update.  That will be a separate issue.

Jan, KX2A

Bob

On Windows Defender, the option is right here .. But, if you have Windows defender turned off, then it's hard to imagine Microsoft hijacked your files. AVG? You're on your own, I can't even spell it. SeventyThree(s).

On June 16, 2020 at 8:43 AM KX2A < ditzian@...> wrote:

[...]

If defender is off you should be good. I dont have an exception set in AVG and have had no issues.
I just went thru a bunch of crap today with defender and a friends computer and I installed AVG and turned off defender and re installed Logger and all was well. Of course I also set his update.exe file and the Logger32 file to run as an admin. This is the 2nd one in 2 days as the other friend lost his .exe  thanks to M S essentials in win7. What fun.
Dave N8DC