Topics

Logger 32 V4 and WSJT-X

John Scott, VE1JS

It took me a while, but I thought I had everything working as it should after the upgrade to V44.  RTFM!

However this is not the case:

When I start L32, having closed WSJT-X from within L32, the frequency shown in the Logbook Entry Window is .00

If I then start WSJT-X from the UDP window, the frequency in the Log Entry window is corrected, by WSJT-X I guess, and the K3 talks to L32 as it should. And, WSJT-X works as it should. The only exception is that clicking on a call in the ME window does not put it into the Log Entry window; it does put the grid, if present, into the Log Entry window.

After a session on FT8, when I close WSJT-X from the UDP window the frequency in the Log Entry window stays as 14.074.00 or whatever it was, but L32 does not recognize band changes or spins of the VFO knob. If I read the manual correctly, this should not be the case.

Running all this on an 64-bit Acer with the latest version of Win10, 8 MB of ram and lots of disk space.  Rig is a K3, upgraded, but not quite a K3S. Also interfacing L32 and K3 with WIN4K3.  Everything worked as expected under L32 V3, the last incarnation.

Any help  much appreciated.

73

John, VE1JS

n5kd

Hi John.

When L32 starts WSJT it closes the COM port to your rig. Then WSJT is reading the rig and WSJT is passing the frequency to Logger32.
When you close WSJT it should pass back to the K3 from the port defined in L32.

BUT…. you say when you start L32 the log entry pane reads .00 for the frequency.

So, assuming WSJT is not running…...

That means you either have defined the rig incorrectly, or, more likely the port is closed.
In the bottom status bar go L32 there is a box saying Radio 1. If that label is RED then it means L32 is not connected to the radio. Right click in that box, at the top of the list open the com port.

Do you get the frequency displayed now?

73’ Pete, N5KD.

On Jan 26, 2021, at 19:31, John Scott <scotts@...> wrote:

[...]

Bob

Lets do this one little bit at a time.  My comments (in blue) embedded ...

If I then start WSJT-X from the UDP window, the frequency in the Log Entry window is corrected, by WSJT-X I guess,

Correct, When WSJT-X is started from the UDP Logger32 closes the radio comm port. When WSJT-X starts, WSJT-X controls the radio

and the K3 talks to L32 as it should.

Incorrect, Logger32 is not connected to the radio. Logger32 follows WSJT-X band/mode

And, WSJT-X works as it should. The only exception is that clicking on a call in the ME window

What is the ME window?

does not put it into the Log Entry window; it does put the grid, if present, into the Log Entry window.

After a session on FT8, when I close WSJT-X from the UDP window the frequency in the Log Entry window stays as 14.074.00 or whatever it was, but L32 does not recognize band changes or spins of the VFO knob. If I read the manual correctly, this should not be the case.

Did the Logger32 radio port re-open after WSJT-X closed? How do you end your FT8 session - Did you click the STOP menu then click the, unCheck the WJT-X menu item, or did you simply close the UDP BandMap?

Running all this on an 64-bit Acer with the latest version of Win10, 8 MB of ram and lots of disk space.  Rig is a K3, upgraded, but not quite a K3S. Also interfacing L32 and K3 with WIN4K3.  Everything worked as expected under L32 V3, the last incarnation.

SeventyThree(s).

On 01/26/2021 2:31 PM John Scott <scotts@...> wrote:

[...]

Gary Hinson

Hi Bob.

I guess the ME window is what appears when we click <Me> on the UDP BandMap menu.

[...]

Dunno, no one ever calls me (maybe because I never call CQ :), Do does the callsign populate the Logbook Entry window when you click on a call in the Me window Gary? SeventyThree(s).

[...]

Exactly right, Gary!

73

John

Philip (G4OBK) Catterall

Re: Logger 32 V4 and WSJT-X
From: Bob
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2021 20:30:04 GMT

Bob Said:

Dunno, no one ever calls me (maybe because I never call CQ :), Do does the callsign populate the Logbook Entry window when you click on a call in the Me window Gary? SeventyThree(s).

This sounds like the issue I flagged up last week Bob. The callsign doesn’t transfer from the band map window when clicked to the Log entry box in Logger. However the callsign does transfer when a callsign is clicked and a station is called from the RX window. (WSJT-X). Same thing happens when using JTDX.

73 Phil

ja1nlx

Phil

These are explained in v3.50 Help or v4.0 Manual.

73

Re: Logger 32 V4 and WSJT-X
From: Bob
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2021 20:30:04 GMT

Bob Said:

Dunno, no one ever calls me (maybe because I never call CQ :), Do does the callsign populate the Logbook Entry window when you click on a call in the Me window Gary? SeventyThree(s).

This sounds like the issue I flagged up last week Bob. The callsign doesn’t transfer from the band map window when clicked to the Log entry box in Logger. However the callsign does transfer when a callsign is clicked and a station is called from the RX window. (WSJT-X). Same thing happens when using JTDX.

73 Phil

Which BandMap Window (there are several). SeventyThree(s).

Re: Logger 32 V4 and WSJT-X
From: Bob
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2021 20:30:04 GMT

Bob Said:

Dunno, no one ever calls me (maybe because I never call CQ :), Do does the callsign populate the Logbook Entry window when you click on a call in the Me window Gary? SeventyThree(s).

This sounds like the issue I flagged up last week Bob. The callsign doesn’t transfer from the band map window when clicked to the Log entry box in Logger. However the callsign does transfer when a callsign is clicked and a station is called from the RX window. (WSJT-X). Same thing happens when using JTDX.

73 Phil

NICK K. PLUMIDAKIS

Dear Aki Hi.

I am using V 4.0.238.

2 monitors with wide screen.

When I am going to Awards/WAZ for the first time then I am getting the ATT. , when I am recalculating the : CQWAS_MIXED or the All Operators or All QSL types or All credits the result is the one that it is expected.

I have identical results in my Laptop that it is with wide screen.

My Best 73’s

DE

Nick

SV1VS

From: Bob
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2021 20:30:04 GMT

Bob Said:

Dunno, no one ever calls me (maybe because I never call CQ :), Do does the callsign populate the Logbook Entry window when you click on a call in the Me window Gary? SeventyThree(s).

This sounds like the issue I flagged up last week Bob. The callsign doesn’t transfer from the band map window when clicked to the Log entry box in Logger. However the callsign does transfer when a callsign is clicked and a station is called from the RX window. (WSJT-X). Same thing happens when using JTDX.

73 Phil

John Scott, VE1JS

Hi Bob

Thanks for the reply.  I did miss the bit about reopening the K3 radio port.

However, when I do that, after stopping WSJT-X properly, I keep getting a message "Invalid Port Number: Comm port 16"

This IS the port number that appears in the config for the K3.

I can make it work by restarting the computer, but I should not have to do that,  I think!

73

John, VE1JS

Bob

... and if you have Logger32 running and it is connected to your radio on comm 16. What happens if you close the radio port and re-open it?  73.

On 01/27/2021 9:24 AM John Scott <scotts@...> wrote:

Hi Bob

Thanks for the reply.  I did miss the bit about reopening the K3 radio port.

However, when I do that, after stopping WSJT-X properly, I keep getting a message "Invalid Port Number: Comm port 16"

This IS the port number that appears in the config for the K3.

I can make it work by restarting the computer, but I should not have to do that,  I think!

73

John, VE1JS

Philip (G4OBK) Catterall

Hi Bob

I was meaning the UDP Band Map WSJT-X window. It looks like only me and one other guy has the problem – only the locator (if there is one sent) transfers to the log entry window but not the callsign when mouse clicked on call in WSJT-X or JTDX band map window.

By the way are you on 24/7 shift duty answering all our pesky queries. Must be a labour of love!

73 Phil

Philip (G4OBK) Catterall

Further to my last msg Bob, if I click on a callsign - as I said the locator goes into the log entry box and the mouse clcik moves the cursor into the Call box in the log entry window and lights it up blue, but no callsign transfer takes place! Now I got the auto upgrade to 4.0.238 having closed the program and restarted it - excellent!

Phil G4OBK

Bob

... I still can't find any problem. When you click on a callsign in the UDP BandMap, you see a box appear around the cell you clicked on. Do you see text appear in the Manual calling event viewer like this:

16:33:08 Call to F5POE started
16:33:08 Sent Tx Halt message to JTDX

73.

On 01/27/2021 10:39 AM Philip (G4OBK) Catterall <cq@...> wrote:

Hi Bob

I was meaning the UDP Band Map WSJT-X window. It looks like only me and one other guy has the problem – only the locator (if there is one sent) transfers to the log entry window but not the callsign when mouse clicked on call in WSJT-X or JTDX band map window.

By the way are you on 24/7 shift duty answering all our pesky queries. Must be a labour of love!

73 Phil

John Scott, VE1JS

Ignore previous message.

I have it fingered out now.

I have to start L32, then check "allow WSJT-X to.....", then start WSJT-X, use it for a while, then stop WSJT-X, then uncheck "allow WSJT-X to.....".

All is now well.

Sorry to ask stupid questions.  RTFM carefully!

73

John, VE1JS

Bob

John, you said: I have to start L32, then check "allow WSJT-X to.....", then start WSJT-X, use it for a while, then stop WSJT-X, then uncheck "allow WSJT-X to.....".

I don't think you're quite there yet. The blue text I've highlighted should be unnecessary. If the radio comm port is open when you start WSJT/JTDX (from the UDP menus). You will notice the port closes before WSJT/JTDX starts. Then, when you stop WSJT/JTDX (from the UDP menus) the radio comm port automagically re-opens after WSJT/JTDX shuts down. SeventyThree(s).

On 01/28/2021 10:17 AM John Scott <scotts@...> wrote:

Ignore previous message.

I have it fingered out now.

I have to start L32, then check "allow WSJT-X to.....", then start WSJT-X, use it for a while, then stop WSJT-X, then uncheck "allow WSJT-X to.....".

All is now well.

Sorry to ask stupid questions.  RTFM carefully!

73

John, VE1JS

Philip (G4OBK) Catterall

Hi Bob

These tests and checks have got me liking JTDX! Extra L32 features over WSJT-X, I could be a late adopter…

Opened the manual calling event viewer and when I click a callsign in the JTDX Band Map the event viewer window remains blank – the locator transfers to the log entry window in L32 but the callsign does not. If I initiate a QSO using AUTOTX and enable TX by clicking a callsign in the Receive or Main Control Windows JTDX will call the station and the callsign and locator goes into the log entry window. Nothing goes into the manual calling event window - it remains blank.  I know that the manual event calling window is operating correctly as if I change mode or band in the (excellent new to V4) JTDX Control panel window, the time and change is shown.

Whether we can fix this minor issue or not I like using JTDX!

73 Phil G4OBK

Bob

Chris, I still have no idea what the problem is, but we're making progress. Y ou're confusing two very different/separate features/functions -  The JTDX control panel and manual calling.

The JTDX control panel is simply to allow the user to change JTDX band and mode and turn off TX Enable remotely (from Logger32). You'll find (I hope) that the JTDX control panel allows the user to click on a FT4/8 DX Spot and JTDX dutifully does what Logger32 tells it to do. You'll even notice that if the DX Spot includes the stations audio frequency JTDX uses that frequency as the RX frequency.

Now to Manual calling, here's how it works (in your case, how it is supposed to work). Click on a callsign in the UDP BandMap. Logger32now starts an automatic sequence (no operator intervention) that starts by waiting for the stations next CQ, or 73, or RRR73. When received, Logger32 tells JTDX to reply. If no reply after two calls Logger32 tells JTDX to quit calling and wait for the next opportunity to call again. This sequence is tried 5 times. If no luck after 5 tries, or after 10 minutes of trying, or after 90 seconds on not decoding the station The manual calling sequence picks up it's marbles and goes home to mummy. If/when the station answers a call the manual calling sequence quits and allows JTDX (or WSJT) to complete the contact with no user input.

So, what you thought was the manual calling sequence is not.

So the actual problem is that when you click on a callsign in the UDP BandMap you are not actually starting the sequence. So back to drawing board. The thing for you to look for is the text appearing in the manual calling event viewer or the colored box being place around the callsign you clicked on in the UDP BandMap. Once that happens, we're in business. I don't want to bother the reflector users further on this problem, so I'll take if offline. And work directly with you.

SeventyThree(s).

On 01/28/2021 2:39 PM Philip (G4OBK) Catterall <cq@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks to Bob K4CY for a personal email with a fix for my issue of the callsign not transferring from the UDP Band Map window to the Log entry call box.

Bob suggested I open Cherry Picker Options from the Band Map Config and check Cherry pick decoded callsign on next CQ. Now the callsign and the locator transfer from the band map window to the log entry box in L32 every time. .

73 Phil G4OBK