Topics

Logger 32 quits shortly after launch

Steve

I have never posted to Groups.io before, so apologies if I have done this wrong...

I have used Logger 32 for years without serious issues but this one has stumped me.

I run the latest version of Win 10 64bit (kept updated) & have up to date antivirus.

On 26th August I clicked on the link to open Logger as usual. The program opened, loaded the logbook (about 5000 entries) and then the program closed.

Since then I have re-installed the program but as soon as I click ‘yes’ to updating, Logger quits.

The program works perfectly on my Win 10 64bit laptop, so it is something peculiar to my desktop. I hadn’t changed anything or installed any  new programmes and am out of ideas.

Anyone else had the same issue, if so what is the fix?

Any help gratefully received.

Steve G4UHM

Bob

Steve, interesting problem. You say you have reinstalled Logger32 but you can't update. I assume you are now on version 3.50.0, and you're attempting to update to 3.50.422.

First off, check that Logger32 is configured to run with administrator privileges. Look in the \Logger32 directory for the Logger32.exe. Right click on the icon, click Properties. Select the Compatibility tab. Is the Run this program as administrator option checked?

If that doesn't help, then you could try something a little more drastic. First, make sure you have your logbook safely stored away in ADIF format. Look in the \Logger32 directory for folders called Updatefiles for ver 3.50.xxx. Copy the contents of the newest folder (I haven't counted them, but there is probably 15 files) into the \Logger32 directory. What you have done is upgrade Logger32 ver 3.50.0 to the release version prior to the one you were running on August 26.

Good luck, 73.

On 09/06/2020 5:57 AM Steve <g4uhm@...> wrote:

I have never posted to Groups.io before, so apologies if I have done this wrong...

I have used Logger 32 for years without serious issues but this one has stumped me.

I run the latest version of Win 10 64bit (kept updated) & have up to date antivirus.

On 26th August I clicked on the link to open Logger as usual. The program opened, loaded the logbook (about 5000 entries) and then the program closed.

Since then I have re-installed the program but as soon as I click ‘yes’ to updating, Logger quits.

The program works perfectly on my Win 10 64bit laptop, so it is something peculiar to my desktop. I hadn’t changed anything or installed any  new programmes and am out of ideas.

Anyone else had the same issue, if so what is the fix?

Any help gratefully received.

Steve G4UHM

DamianM0BKV

Some users of the logging program have carried out the update and the program disappeared either immediately or at the next bootup. This has happened recently to many users because many virus checkers think the new version has a virus and instead of asking you what to do they delete the main file 'Logger32.exe' from the main folder C:// Logger32/, This problem of virus checkers treating a file as a virus is called a FALSE NEGATIVE in the plumbing trade.
I have had the problem with McAfee virus checker a while back. Numerous others have also since.

To recover the lost program you have to roll back and find an earlier version of the Logger32.exe main program file and paste it to your logger folder. Find one in one of the 10 Rollback folders stored in your 'C://Logger32/' folder in Windows Explorer. OR run Logger32Rollback.exe this looks at all subdirectories in the C://Logger32/ folders pick one and run it.

This gets Logger32 going. Then with McAfee virus checker  BEFORE updating to the new version of Logger32, paste the new version file (logger32.exe) to the exception page of McAfee firewall To do this you must again download the latest version of Logger32 that was deleted by your virus checker. Update the Firewall before doing the update. I reported the problem to the McAfee helpdesk and haven't had the problem and haven't had to do this paraphernalia since. Other virus checkers may need to be contacted about the problem. Bob, I think, has sorted it out with Microsoft and their virus checker. Don't do another update before doing the above and getting the problem sorted. Other programs may have the same issue BTW..

DamianM0BKV

Sorry, Bob, for butting in, your help is probably easier to understand. I use 400 words When 40 will do (so I'm told)

Damian

Steve

Hi Bob & Damian

Thanks both for taking the time to reply.

Sorry, I probably didn't make myself clear. One day last month Logger stopped. Well not exactly - it would load, show the logbook (existing entries) and then quit.

So I re-installed the program and it loads, (no logbook to look at of course). If I click 'yes' to Upgrade to version 3.5xxx it quits. If I say no, then it quits when I try to do anything else. So cant even load my adif file.

The exe file is set to admin privlidges & I have tried ALL the compatability options (it used to work OK on XP SP3) - same result whichever is selected.

There are no sub-folders in the Logger32 folder to go back to.

I don't use WIndows Defender but Malwarebytes. I have added c:/Logger32 to the 'Allowed Page', again no difference.

It is obviously something 'in' this desktop as the program works perfectly (with my .ini file & logbooks) on my Win 10 Home laptop.

I don't want to but maybe a re-install of WIndows is the answer (or just use logger on my laptop!)

Jim Altman

I would not reinstall windows. You are missing something probably fairly simple.  Take a break from it.  If there are no subdirectories in the L32 folder, are you installing to the same place you were before? You don’t need compatibility mode, only admin privileges.

Jim Altman

jaltman636@...

[...]

Vilhjalmur Sigurjonsson

Steve,

Before trying something drastic like reinstalling the Windows try the following:

When Logger32 is not running rename Logger32.ini to Logger32.ini.old, then run Logger32.

Does that behave differently?

73 Villi
TF3VS

[...]

No sub-directories in the \Logger32 directory? Huh? Either you have never installed a Logger32 update, or you deleted the \Logger32 folder (and it's sub-directories) before you reinstalled Logger32.

I think Jim has a valid point, it sounds like you're floundering. This is very dangerous while sitting in front of the keyboard.  You have Logger32 running on your laptop, so there's no urgency to this. You logs are in tact, and you can log QSOs.

When you attempt to upgrade, exactly what happens before the program quits? And, exactly what do you mean quits (a blinding flash and a smell of sulphur in the air)? When upgrading, there's an option to backup before updating. Is it on or off?  Try it the other way. Good luck, 73.

On 09/07/2020 12:36 PM Jim Altman <jaltman636@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Bob Villi & Jim

Thanks for you posts and advice. Yes I did delete the Logger 32 directory prior to reinstalling the program (in hindsight not a good move).

When the program quits it just closes (no flash or sulphur thankfully) - the cursor spins for about a second (like the system is very busy) and it's closed.

I tried renaming the .ini file. The program then acts like I would expect, letting me put in my call to start as a new user. Can even adjust & move the various windows as I like. If I try to log, the program says I am trying to log with no frequency; but when I try to change the frequency (on the log entry box) the cursor spins and the program quits as before.

Bob - you are right there is no urgency & Jim is almost certainly right in saying that I am missing something simple.

Someone once said (maybe it was me!) that the simplist things are hardest to find. Whoever it was, they were 100% correct.

Thanks again for your suggestions.