Topics

Logger 32 - Crystal ball ...

Bob

It was a good night last night. The local rioters and looters vandalized and set fire to a neighborhood liquor store. I guess they're really pissed off about George. As I already have a new flat screen TV and more Nikes than I can ever wear, one of them was kind enough to stop by with a bottle of Famous Grouse for me. I promptly opened it and poured a large glass with a single ice cube. As I held it up to the light of the burning strip mall, I watched the glow of flames play tricks as they reflected off the ice cube ... I saw the future of Logger32 unfolding right there before my eyes (well maybe it was the second or third glass, I don't remember exactly) ...

Logger32 ver 4.0 has been in Beta testing for a week or so. What's the big deal? There were primarily two objectives - an updated database to support more QSOs, and a replacement of the Microsoft serial port OCX. The Logger32 skin (its look, touch and feel) remains the same.

Initial tests of the database on some random logbooks indicate logbook size of >1M QSOs is achievable. To give you an idea of how things have changed, on my PCs, the LoTW users file from Club Log uses about 5% of file capacity. With ver 4.0 it drops to 1%. A sample logbook with 275K QSOs I have uses 60% of available space on ver 3.50. With ver 4.0 it uses 17%. In addition to this, the updated database does a better job of efficiently storing the data for faster retrieval. The price for these performance enhancements is slower import of ADIF files, and slower recalculation of statistics. Also, the new database can read databases from ver 3.50, but once opened in 4.0 the become unreadable to 3.50 -- There's no backward compatibility.

The replacement serial port OCX has been implemented for the radios, the CW Machine, and rotor control. No problems so far.

I am in absolutely no hurry to release 4.0, and guesstimate maybe Christmas. But we need more testers. Many more testers. For those with two PCs, it's easy, just copy some files to one of the PCs and you're good to go. For those with a single PC, it's a little tricky, and if you open your logbook with ver 4.0 in error, it becomes unreadable on 3.50. Once the volunteers gain a little confidence in 4.0, you can use as your main logging program - updates and bug fixes are done by auto-update.

If you want to participate, eMail Jim at w5ifp@... he will subscribe you to a new reflector, get you destructions, and the files you need to get started.

Thanks, SeventyThree(s).

F4FQH Olivier

Ciao Bob !

A nice job ! Sourire even with the chaos !
Will be slower here...hmm 8700K clocked at 5.1GHZ, 32GO DDR4 at 3333, 2x samsung 960pro RAID0, pc is ready for v4 ! ahaha

To test v4 on the same PC, simple. We have just to copy the logger32 folder to an other location. In the INI just changing folders path, and rename logger32.exe in, for example, logger32v4.exe. Create a shortcut on desktop.
And 2 logger32 can be launched at same time.
So, everybody could keep 3.50 in good standing, and test V4 without destroying their logs.

Of course, it’s better to really continue loging QSO on 3.50 to be sure, or manualy log QSO in the v4, if the user don’t make a lot of QSO.

I will try v4

73
Olivier
F4FQH

[...]

just forgot something.....not at the same time connected to sames com ports !!! if logger control some radio toys !!