Topics

Logger32 with LoTW problem

erictucker599@...

Hi!

I’ve been off the air for a number of years but have just got back into Amateur Radio and it’s taken me quite some time and effort to reinstate my rig and software to the state it was about seven years ago.  Prior to my ‘holiday’ I used Logger16, and then Logger32, for many years and had it set up just as I liked it.  Though a bit of a parlarva, I used Logger32 with LoTW.  Successfully, I might add!

On my return I renewed my TQSL Certificate for LoTW and updated Logger32 to Version 3.50.392.  I have exported and signed my complete log (my old log plus some more recent QSOs) to LoTW and downloaded the report from LoTW (lotwreport.adi) and synchronised Logger32 with it.  Everything seems to have worked correctly, with new QSLs being credited – except for one small point.

My old log was set so that the background colour for new entries in the Logbook Page Window was a fetching shade of pink (set by Setup/Highlight/Choose QSL to be printed highlight colour with Show LoTW QSOs to be exported ticked).  When I exported the QSOs to LoTW the background colour changed to a pale green (set by Setup/Highlight/QSL sent highlight/Choose QSL sent highlight colour with Show LoTW sent highlight ticked).  I also had the highlight colour change to orange if LoTW confirmed a QSL.

As far as I can remember, this setup worked perfectly.  The colours changed and the LOTW_QSL_SENT  and LOTW_QSL_RCVD fields were both N prior to sending and, after processing and synchronisation with LoTW, they changed  respectively to Y and either Y or N as expected.

Now, although I have not changed the Setup, the background colour does not change to green for the new QSOs that have been sent to LoTW but are not confirmed (colour remains pink) and the LOTW_QSL_SENT  field remains at N.  QSOs that are confirmed by LoTW do change colour (to orange) and both LOTW_QSL_SENT  and LOTW_QSL_RCVD fields go to Y, as expected.

What am I doing wrong?  Why does the background colour not change to green to signify that I have sent the QSOs to LoTW?

Let me say that Logger32 is a superb program and I thank Bob and his minions for their efforts in producing and maintaining it and I look forward to any suggestions to remedy my problem.

73.  Eric, G3TXZ.

John Munton - G7SSE

Eric

When you exported your log for uploading to LOTW which option from the File Menu did you use, the "Export Logs" or the "Export Files" function?

73
John G7SSE

Bob

Quote: A fetching shade of pink ... Apple green ... Obviously a fan of the '72 ITV series Jason King. SeventyThree(s).

On August 20, 2019 at 10:30 AM erictucker599@... wrote:

[...]

Hi! John, thanks for replying.

I found Gary, ZL2IFB's website and his instructions state "Export your log from Logger32 as an ADIF file."  I took that to mean using the 'Export Logs/ADIF' function.

Regards, Eric.

John Munton - G7SSE

Eric

When exporting QSO's for upload to LOTW (or EQSL) you need to use the Export Files function, this will give you the option to mark the QSO's as LOTW QSL Sent and will change the highlight colour in your logbook.

Have a read of the following topics from the Logger32 Helpfile, they explain it much better than I could!

Flag QSOs for QSLing

QSL File Creation

To fix your log and change the already uploaded QSO's in your log to LOTW QSL Sent =Y you will need to carry out the procedure explained in the HelpFile under:

Tips, Tricks and Troubleshooting
1.13 First Time Submittal of LoTW and eQSL records

73
John G7SSE

erictucker599@...

Many thanks, John.

I thought that I had read the help files, but obviously not well enough!!  I'll do what you say and let you know the result.

Thanks again for your help.

73, Eric G3TXZ.

erictucker599@...

John, it's working!!

I read all of the help files you suggested and checked that all the flags, etc, were set correctly.  They seemed to be so.  I then Exported files|LoWT for my whole log and synced to the LoTW report and Bingo! all worked as required with the colours changing.

Many, many thanks for your help.  It was most appreciated.

Very best of 73, Eric G3TXZ

John Munton - G7SSE

Glad you have it working Eric.

Happy to have helped, though kudos must go to the writer(s) of the Helpfile.

There is also an add on program, by Rick - N2AMG, for uploading to LOTW etc. that is worth looking at;

httpshttps://www.n2amg.com/software/l32-logsync/://www.n2amg.com/software/l32-logsync/

73
John - G7SSE

erictucker599@...

Thanks again.  I'll have a look at it.

Eric.

Gary Hinson

Guys, I’m confused.  If you think I should update the instructions/guidance on my website to make this clearer, please explain the change and I’ll gladly oblige, no problem.

73,

Gary   ZL2iFB

I read all of the help files you suggested and checked that all the flags, etc, were set correctly.  They seemed to be so.  I then Exported files|LoWT for my whole log and synced to the LoTW report and Bingo! all worked as required with the colours changing.

Many, many thanks for your help.  It was most appreciated.

Very best of 73, Eric G3TXZ

Bob

Gary, how 'bout submitting my name to the Nobel committee for the 2019 Alchemy award? SeventyThree(s)AndBackToCherryPicking ...

On August 21, 2019 at 9:04 PM Gary Hinson <Gary@...> wrote:

Guys, I’m confused.  If you think I should update the instructions/guidance on my website to make this clearer, please explain the change and I’ll gladly oblige, no problem.

73,

Gary   ZL2iFB

I read all of the help files you suggested and checked that all the flags, etc, were set correctly.  They seemed to be so.  I then Exported files|LoWT for my whole log and synced to the LoTW report and Bingo! all worked as required with the colours changing.

Many, many thanks for your help.  It was most appreciated.

Very best of 73, Eric G3TXZ

Gary Hinson

If you think that will help, Bob, sure, my pleasure, consider it done.

Watch your mailbox for a congratulatory message from the committee.

73 (just the one)

Gary  ZL2iFB

I read all of the help files you suggested and checked that all the flags, etc, were set correctly.  They seemed to be so.  I then Exported files|LoWT for my whole log and synced to the LoTW report and Bingo! all worked as required with the colours changing.

Many, many thanks for your help.  It was most appreciated.

Very best of 73, Eric G3TXZ

John Munton - G7SSE

Hi Gary

If I may make a couple of observations (hardhat & flameproof suit on)

"1. Export your log from Logger32 as an ADIF file. Save it somewhere memorable on disk. [You can either export the entire log, or just the QSOs marked to go to LoTW. The former makes sure all QSOs will reach LoTW and is what you do the first time, and perhaps again every few months just to be sure none are missing. The latter is quicker for subsequent updates.] "

In the quoted text above, while correct that for first time upload you export the whole log this does not change the status in the logbook of the qso's to LOTW_QSL_SENT.

To correct this the procedure explained in the Logger32 Helpfile: "Tips, Tricks and Troubleshooting / 1.13 First Time Submittal of LoTW and eQSL records" needs to be carried out.

Regarding where you mention "just the QSO's marked to go to LOTW" two points;

1. A new or unfamiliar user may not know how to mark (flag) them for export or that Logger32 can do this automatically as they are logged.

2. You do not mention that to export the marked qso's for uploading one does not use the Export Log function but the Export Files / Export LOTW File function.

I do realise you could end up, if not careful, with virtually the entire Helpfile typed out on your web site but I think Eric's issues may have stemmed from the points I've raised.

Sorry to be critical, your web site is a great resource, as are your FT8 guides.

Please don't put me on the ZL mafia's "hit list" ;-)

73
John - G7SSE

erictucker599@...

Gary,

I agree with John, it was a tad confusing.  Following your text, I exported the log rather than the file.  Otherwise, great website with lots of valuable help.

Many thanks for your efforts.

73, Eric G3TXZ.

Gary Hinson

OK Eric, I’m on to it.