Logger32 periodically stops polling serial ports

John, G4DRS

I have been using V4 since it was released, and V3 for many years.
My station has stayed the same for some time, since well before V4.
I have 2 radios connected, plus a panadapter SDR on a slave port.
I have an intermittent problem with serial ports:
For example, this morning, I started everything up and all was well. I could toggle between the 2 radios, using a macro in the Radio Control Panel, and the Logger32 Entry pane showed the correct frequency, the SO2R box connected the correct radio to the speakers, the correct antennas and bandpass filter were selected, and the panadapter tuned to the correct spot.
I went in for lunch and, when I returned, I discovered that none of the above now occurred.
I opened the Radio Debug window, to see no serial traffic at all.
If I toggle radios, I see the OTRSP messages in the debug window, but no traffic between L32 and either radio.
Last time this happened, I tried reinstating an old Logger32.ini. That didn't make a difference. I tried renaming the Radio Panel.ini and forcing it to create a new one. All then appeared well, so, to double-check, I reinstated the original Radio Panel.ini and Logger32.ini files. Disappointingly, everything worked again.
Now the problem has happened again and I'm not sure what to try.
Is there a trail file of some sort that records keystrokes and serial traffic?

Ideas would be gratefully received.

John

G4DRS

Toggled to Radio 2:

Toggled to Radio 1

John, G4DRS

By way of further information, the serial traffic seems to be working OK again this afternoon, but sometimes, when I press enter to log a QSO, the program takes a very long time (maybe 20s) to finish what it does when it logs a QSO and come back to me. During these 20s, the 'egg timer' appears on the screen.
It is clearly very busy trying to do something when it goes off on a jaunt, but I've no idea what.

John
G4DRS

John, G4DRS

Further update:

It would appear that, when Logger32 seems to have disappeared up its own backside, it is actually waiting for L32:Logsync to finish its real-time upload to LOTW and/or Clublog.
I'll try turning off Real-Time Uploading for a while and see if the problem returns.

John
G4DRS

Dave Colliau

I have never used the real time uploading with logsync I have time to do it manually . What I have see though is logsync seems to take a lot longer to do its thing now . It is LoTW or Logsync ?
Dave N8DC

On 03/25/2021 1:08 PM John, G4DRS via groups.io <g4drs@...> wrote:

Further update:

It would appear that, when Logger32 seems to have disappeared up its own backside, it is actually waiting for L32:Logsync to finish its real-time upload to LOTW and/or Clublog.
I'll try turning off Real-Time Uploading for a while and see if the problem returns.

John
G4DRS

n5kd

I turned off the real time updates for LoTW and ClubLog.
Too intrusive, especially when LoTW goes down.

73’ Pete, N5KD.

It would appear that, when Logger32 seems to have disappeared up its own backside, it is actually waiting for L32:Logsync to finish its real-time upload to LOTW and/or Clublog.
I'll try turning off Real-Time Uploading for a while and see if the problem returns.

John
G4DRS

Hi John.

Before messing around with .INIs and reinstallations, you might try simply closing and re-opening the serial ports.  If that doesn’t work, try closing and re-opening Logger32.

[Apologies for the Noddy solution.  You’ve probably done both already … but you didn’t say.]

[...]

Rick Ellison

John..

If it does disappear when you turn off the real time logging. Turn Debug in Logsync on and let it run this will show what is happening in the background..

73 Rick N2AMG

It would appear that, when Logger32 seems to have disappeared up its own backside, it is actually waiting for L32:Logsync to finish its real-time upload to LOTW and/or Clublog.
I'll try turning off Real-Time Uploading for a while and see if the problem returns.

John
G4DRS

Rick Ellison

If there are a lot of qso’s it could take some time in a upload to LOTW as each qso needs to be uploaded individually and then if it was uploaded correctly it tells Logger32 to flag the qso as uploaded.. This needs work.. It is on the list…

73 Rick N2AMG

I have never used the real time uploading with logsync I have time to do it manually . What I have see though is logsync seems to take a lot longer to do its thing now . It is LoTW or Logsync ?

Dave N8DC

On 03/25/2021 1:08 PM John, G4DRS via groups.io <g4drs@...> wrote:

Further update:

It would appear that, when Logger32 seems to have disappeared up its own backside, it is actually waiting for L32:Logsync to finish its real-time upload to LOTW and/or Clublog.
I'll try turning off Real-Time Uploading for a while and see if the problem returns.

John
G4DRS

I get that too, from time to time.

The Logger32 display greys-out and “Unresponsive” appears on the window caption.

It is one of the least consistent things to try to pin down but, as you say, seems associated with whatever goes on behind the screen when we click Enter to log a QSO – and that’s quite a lot including:

  • Validating the entered QSO info (e.g. no missing required fields).
  • Saving the QSO into the QSO database.
  • Clearing the log entry pane, plus the worked/confirmed, previous QSOs, DX information bar and remove the DX spot from the tracking window’s DX view
  • Checking and if necessary updating our statistics.
  • Adding a new line for the QSO to the logbook display, shifting prior QSOs up to make space.
  • Showing an X next to the now-logged callsign on the BandMap/s.
  • Potentially generating and saving a log backup.
  • Uploading the QSO info to Club Log, LoTW, eQSL etc., which means preparing the data in the ADIF format and sending it by some magic.
  • Other even more obscure internal magic.

Meanwhile, it continues juggling the tsunami of incoming DX spots and UDP messages, identifying and highlighting and maybe dinging the bell for new ones, updating the UTC clock …. oh and letting us know roughly what’s going on!

On Thu, Mar 25, 2021 at 08:02 PM, Gary Hinson wrote:
You’ve probably done both already … but you didn’t say.]
Gary, you are right. I have tried that and I should have mentioned it.

John