Topics

L32 Full backup and restore

Steve G1XOW

Hi All,

I am sick of my virtual serial ports being screwed up every time Windows 10 takes an update. This is a complete pain in the butt for any owner of Flex SDR radios. So, I am now moving all my systems in to Windows virtual machines (VM) environments. This will allow me to backup and restore entire machine states much easier, and also restrict those updates as I wish.

The question is, what is the best / least painful way to backup L32 data AND all settings, so that it can be restored inside the VM please?

73 from Steve G1XOW
Life is complex - it has a real part and an imaginary part!

Mike

On Sun, Oct 25, 2020 at 11:07 AM, Steve G1XOW wrote:
The question is, what is the best / least painful way to backup L32 data AND all settings,
Backup is to click 2 icons. Described in manual which ones.
Mike

Nick

The same two icons give you the option to automate the process too, as
it is something that should be done as routine.

On 25/10/2020 14:48, Mike wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 25, 2020 at 11:07 AM, Steve G1XOW wrote:
>
> The question is, what is the best / least painful way to backup L32
> data AND all settings,
>
> Backup is to click 2 icons. Described in manual which ones.
> Mike
> _._,_._,_

Bob

Steve, I too would be pissed off if after every Win 10 update my virtual serial ports were redirected, and or my USB serial ports were reassigned. But, for me everything remains as expected. I have polled the Logger32 Beta testers, and have had no reports of problems (even from one who proudly claims 23 virtual ports).

Have you considered the problem is not actually Win 10, but your VSP drivers?  As I recall from previous postings on the reflector you have a penchant for layer upon layer of software on your PC. No doubt a VM environment is icing on the cake.

Steve, it's a PC, not an onion. SeventyThree(s).

On 10/25/2020 6:07 AM Steve G1XOW <steve@...> wrote:

Hi All,

I am sick of my virtual serial ports being screwed up every time Windows 10 takes an update. This is a complete pain in the butt for any owner of Flex SDR radios. So, I am now moving all my systems in to Windows virtual machines (VM) environments. This will allow me to backup and restore entire machine states much easier, and also restrict those updates as I wish.

The question is, what is the best / least painful way to backup L32 data AND all settings, so that it can be restored inside the VM please?

73 from Steve G1XOW
Life is complex - it has a real part and an imaginary part!

Ken McVie

I too have NEVER had a serial port problem with W10 updates, so something else is playing with your ports.

73

Ken ZL4NR

On 27/10/2020 3:33 am, Bob wrote:
[...]

Bob, as I thought I explained in the original post, the problem is SmartSDR CAT VSP ports for the Flex. It IS NOT the fault of L32.

Sent from my phone

Bob

Steve, we agree on the problem, but not the solution. Unless there is something magic about your SmartSDR VSPs, why not replace them with ones that can withstand a Win 10 update? But, it's your PC, go for it. SeventyThree(s).

On 10/27/2020 3:44 AM Steve G1XOW <steve@...> wrote:

Bob, as I thought I explained in the original post, the problem is SmartSDR CAT VSP ports for the Flex. It IS NOT the fault of L32.

Sent from my phone

Vilhjalmur Sigurjonsson

Hi,

I am using the Flex6k with SmartSDR and have not had any problem regarding random rearranging of the ports.

What does the Flex website say? Have you opened a ticket on the Flexradio web and brought it up there?

73 Villi
TF3VS

Steve, we agree on the problem, but not the solution. Unless there is something magic about your SmartSDR VSPs, why not replace them with ones that can withstand a Win 10 update? But, it's your PC, go for it. SeventyThree(s).

On 10/27/2020 3:44 AM Steve G1XOW <steve@...> wrote:

Bob, as I thought I explained in the original post, the problem is SmartSDR CAT VSP ports for the Flex. It IS NOT the fault of L32.

Sent from my phone

Steve G1XOW

Hi Bob,

As a I.T. systems engineer with more that 35 years experience, I would have done it years ago, if I could.  Unfortunately the Flex VSP are part and parcel of the Flex SmartSDR app suite. They cannot be separated out.

A later version of SmartSDR is claimed to solve the problem but also introduces a whole load more issues which are equally undesirable.

The only easy/practical answer is to dump the Flex for an inferior radio, so stuck between a rock and a hard place.