Topics

Installation problems with W10 professional and onedrive

Ignacy Misztal

I have a new computer with W10 professional.

Some programs have trouble installing and running. For instance, Logger32 and Green Heron. Defaults are not there. L32lookup does not work and LOTW update does not work. All of these work fine with install on an older version of W10.

Some programs install and work fine. Like N1MM and SmartSDR.

With Green Heron server,  I traced the problem to installation and work directories. Installation is in onedrive/home directory but defaults are in home directory.  Copying one to the other does not eliminate the problems completely.

I tried to eliminate onedrive, but something seems to be somehow hardcoded in registry. Also copying from one to the other directory does not work 100%.

Did anyone have such problems? I wonder why some programs have problems and some not.
Ignacy, NO9E

Bob

As long as you run Logger32 as an Administrator, you should have no problems (other than maybe setting up your anti-virus/security software)  Right click on the Logger32.exe file in the \Logger32 folder. Click PROPERTIES. Select the COMPATIBILITY tab. Check RUN THIS PROGRAM AS AN ADMINISTRATOR. Click APPLY then OK. SeventyThree(s).

On January 21, 2020 at 4:17 PM Ignacy Misztal <no9e@...> wrote:

[...]

... LoTW update doesn't work. Dunno what method you are usign, but if it's the N2AMG L32LogSync software then note this: If you're running Logger32 as an Administrator you must also run L32LogSync as an Administrator. SeventyThree(s).

[...]

I have been Logger32 user for 20 years and at home everything works perfectly.  The problems started with new install of W10 professional at vacation place, and onedrive. It looks as if the installation program installs at one directory and the application program is looking for defaults at another. And programs using the current Microsoft installers are fine, and those  using older ones not not necessarily.

Perhaps Windows needs to be reinstalled.

Ignacy, NO9E

Joseph LaFerla

Ignacy

This is a feature of Windows.  By default it will install setting OneDrive as the default directory for data files.  To avoid this, during the installation process you have to choose the option when presented  (I forget the exact wording) to install the data directories on the local computer.

Hope this helps.

Joe VA3JLF