Topics

HFAUTO Program To Logger

Mike

Has anyone tried or been successful in getting the HFAUTO program to interface the Palstar HF-Auto tuner to work with Logger 32. I can get it to start with program start but the HFAuto program does not respond when changing bands or frequency.
Thanks for a great program been using Logger32 for years.
Troy
ke4ska

Bob

Assuming the Palstar tuner can track the radio (by monitoring the RS-232 port), then configure the Echo port to match the Palstar recommended settings. I took a very quick peek at the on-line manual, and saw reference to the RS-232 port for loading new firmware, but didn't see anything about configuring the serial port for anything other than firmware upgrades.  I did however see this: It is completely independent of data from an external source to determine frequency of tracking from Band to Band. As a result of this feature, the HF-AUTO will function with any transmitting device without interconnecting data cable attachments. Which further leads me to believe it doesn't follow the radio by sniffing the data. School me if I'm wrong. SeventyThree(s).

On October 1, 2019 at 9:06 AM Mike <mjtdk@...> wrote:

Has anyone tried or been successful in getting the HFAUTO program to interface the Palstar HF-Auto tuner to work with Logger 32. I can get it to start with program start but the HFAuto program does not respond when changing bands or frequency.
Thanks for a great program been using Logger32 for years.
Troy
ke4ska

Bob

... and then I figured out the when at the Palstar website, it you click on the HF-AUTO-P manual, it actually loads the vanilla HF-AUTO document. Tricky huh? I found documentation that makes reference to the W1TR HF-AUTO application, and how to configure it to monitor UDP data packets (I think it said in N1MM+ XML format). Logger32 does actually support this, but only to provide information from the UDP BandMap to feed the Slice-Manager-6000 software, and does not include any information that the W1TR software needs (I think). SeventyThree(s)

PS. One scary thing I noted about HF-AUTO-R is reference to a 100ft (longer if needed - up to 500ft) three wire RS-232 cable. Personally, I wouldn't even be comfortable using 100ft RS-422 cable in the presence of high power RF.

On October 1, 2019 at 9:06 AM Mike <mjtdk@...> wrote:

Has anyone tried or been successful in getting the HFAUTO program to interface the Palstar HF-Auto tuner to work with Logger 32. I can get it to start with program start but the HFAuto program does not respond when changing bands or frequency.
Thanks for a great program been using Logger32 for years.
Troy
ke4ska

Bob

... and I have just added RadioFreq to the UDP broadcast. If you want to be the guinea pig and test it, give me a holler and I'll  send you a download link for a test version. 73.

On October 1, 2019 at 9:06 AM Mike <mjtdk@...> wrote:

Has anyone tried or been successful in getting the HFAUTO program to interface the Palstar HF-Auto tuner to work with Logger 32. I can get it to start with program start but the HFAuto program does not respond when changing bands or frequency.
Thanks for a great program been using Logger32 for years.
Troy
ke4ska

Mike

Bob,
The HFauto program does work to send and receive data to the tuner and from reading different blogs and N1MM's site the RS-232 port can be used for radio data via the HFauto program but you need a program suck as Logger to send the radio data to the HFauto program as you stated using UDP. And to answer your last question Yes I will be pleased to be the guinea pig for the UDP broadcast test.
Thank you
troy

Bob

OK, here we go. This is an extract from the N1MM+ documentation. It describes the UDP broadcast XML message broadcast that describes the radio configuration. The data is sent on port 12061.

A lot of the fields have no meaning in Logger32, and some I simply don't know what they mean. I noticed the frequency is to the nearest 10Hz (kinda weird I thought). Following the KISS principle, Logger 32 sends this message:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<RadioInfo>
    <Freq>1420123.4</Freq>
</RadioInfo>

To enable this functionality, click SETUP | FREQUENCY and check the option ENABLE FREQUENCY CHANGE UDP BROADCAST. Everything else is done automagically.

By direct eMail you (and anyone else who would like to test this functionality) will receive a link to download a test version of Logger32.exe. Stop Logger32. Copy the file to the \Logger32 directory and overwrite the existing file. Run Logger32. SeventyThree(s).

On October 2, 2019 at 9:08 AM Mike <mjtdk@...> wrote:

Bob,
The HFauto program does work to send and receive data to the tuner and from reading different blogs and N1MM's site the RS-232 port can be used for radio data via the HFauto program but you need a program suck as Logger to send the radio data to the HFauto program as you stated using UDP. And to answer your last question Yes I will be pleased to be the guinea pig for the UDP broadcast test.
Thank you
troy

Mike

Thanks for the help and the updated Logger32.exe, I have replaced the .exe file in Logger and it seems to work just fine but I still can not get the HFAuto program to receive data from Logger32 I am sure it is something simple I am missing so I will keep at it. Thanks again for all the help and the updated Logger32.exe.
Troy
ke4ska

Bob

To test the new feature, Aki <JA1NLX> wrote a small program to listen on port 12061. This is what he sees when the VFO changes frequency. You might check with the author of whatever program you are broadcasting to if additional information/fields are needed for it to sync. Good luck, SeventyThree(s).

On October 3, 2019 at 9:16 AM Mike <mjtdk@...> wrote:

Thanks for the help and the updated Logger32.exe, I have replaced the .exe file in Logger and it seems to work just fine but I still can not get the HFAuto program to receive data from Logger32 I am sure it is something simple I am missing so I will keep at it. Thanks again for all the help and the updated Logger32.exe.
Troy
ke4ska

Bob

... and there is a significant downside to this endeavor ... Clearly Palstar subscribes (read: pays a fee) to the Google Gorilla advertising machine ... I had never heard of HF Auto before you initial message. So I Googled it. Big mistake. For the past three days every time anyone in the house opens a web browser, Palstar has the top of the page advertising slot ... Please tell them I have no interest in their ATUs or amplifiers. I have not had a QSO for well over 10 years, you're pissing your advertising $s away ... Just get out of my face!  SeventyThree(s).

On October 3, 2019 at 9:16 AM Mike <mjtdk@...> wrote:

Thanks for the help and the updated Logger32.exe, I have replaced the .exe file in Logger and it seems to work just fine but I still can not get the HFAuto program to receive data from Logger32 I am sure it is something simple I am missing so I will keep at it. Thanks again for all the help and the updated Logger32.exe.
Troy
ke4ska

Paul Evans W4/VP9KF

So, you've never heard of uBlock Origin, eh, Bob?

Bob

No, I haven't, and I'm afraid to Google it ...

On October 3, 2019 at 7:02 PM Paul Evans W4/VP9KF <paul@...> wrote:

So, you've never heard of uBlock Origin, eh, Bob?

John Munton - G7SSE

Bob, the solution is simple; just Google Famous Grouse a couple of times, then you'll see ad's you like  ;-)

73
John
G7SSE

No, I haven't, and I'm afraid to Google it ...

On October 3, 2019 at 7:02 PM Paul Evans W4/VP9KF <paul@...> wrote:

So, you've never heard of uBlock Origin, eh, Bob?

Bob

John, good thought ... Like the attachment? SeventyThree(s)

On October 3, 2019 at 7:15 PM John Munton - G7SSE <johng7sse@...> wrote:

Bob, the solution is simple; just Google Famous Grouse a couple of times, then you'll see ad's you like  ;-)

73
John
G7SSE

No, I haven't, and I'm afraid to Google it ...

On October 3, 2019 at 7:02 PM Paul Evans W4/VP9KF < paul@...> wrote:

So, you've never heard of uBlock Origin, eh, Bob?

John Munton - G7SSE

Gives a whole new meaning to the term rugby "tackle"  ;-))

73
John

Ken McVie

I like it !!!

73
Ken ZL4NR

On 4/10/2019 12:56 pm, John Munton - G7SSE wrote:
Gives a whole new meaning to the term rugby "tackle"  ;-))

73
John

Barry Lyons

Nice one, just fell off me chair laughing 😂

Barry/gm4gif

Mike

Well I guess they showed them.

Ken McVie

Yes, but they still have to beat the All Blacks in RWC!!!

73
Ken ZL4NR