Topics

HamCap 2020 SSN.dat

Gary Wilson

If you use the add on HamCap program for propagation prediction, you may find that it doesn't work beyond December 2019.  That's because the predicted sunspot numbers within it ended in December 2019.

See https://swling.com/blog/2020/01/ham-cap-and-voa-prop-fixing-ssn-look-up-files/  for a replacement SSN.dat  file that can simply be pasted into it's app data directory to update it.

This solved the problem for me.

73

Gary, K2GW

Gerald Boutin

On Fri, Feb 28, 2020 at 03:43 AM, Gary Wilson wrote:

If you use the add on HamCap program for propagation prediction, you may find that it doesn't work beyond December 2019.  That's because the predicted sunspot numbers within it ended in December 2019.

See https://swling.com/blog/2020/01/ham-cap-and-voa-prop-fixing-ssn-look-up-files/  for a replacement SSN.dat  file that can simply be pasted into it's app data directory to update it.

This solved the problem for me.

73

Gary, K2GW

Gary,

Thanks for the reminder. However, the link you referenced is pointing to data from VP9KF's "guesses" in 2018.

I would recommend instead using the updated SSN number info for Hamcap directly from the Hamcap author's site.

http://www.dxatlas.com/Download.asp

--
Gerald, VE1DT

Michael Harris

Just go to the obvious place, the source of the application:

http://www.dxatlas.com/Download.asp

Scroll down to Ssn.dat

On 28/02/2020 10:03, Gerald Boutin wrote:
[...]

Fair enough, but the original program authors estimates end in 2022, so you get to repeat this exercise  in two years

Gerald Boutin

On Wed, Mar 11, 2020 at 03:33 PM, Gary Wilson wrote:
Fair enough, but the original program authors estimates end in 2022, so you get to repeat this exercise  in two years
Of course. These predictions are always being updated from time to time. They are generated by panels of experts and reported at these two sites.

http://www.sidc.be/silso/ssngraphics
https://www.swpc.noaa.gov/products/predicted-sunspot-number-and-radio-flux

You may note that there are several different methods of coming up with the predictions. I leave it to the program creator to determine which set of predictions is most compatible with the models used in the Hamcap software. Note that this data typically is only predicted a year or two in the future.

--
Gerald, VE1DT

Michael Harris

Ham Cap is a front end for the VOACAP prediction engine. I link Ham Cap to IonoProbe to get the current and 90 day SSN and SRI numbers. It still nevertheless requires an up to date SSN.dat file, presumably for the current month/year.

So we have to instal the latest SSN.dat file in a couple of years, no big deal apart from remembering to do it. Actually it's not a particularly complex file and should be easy to extend from the NOAA predictions when they become available. That is presumable all that Alex does.

Regards,

Mike VP8NO