Topics

Ham Cap

Michael Harris

Users may have noticed that Ham Cap doesn't progress beyond Dec 2019

Regards,

Mike VP8NO

Paul Evans W4/VP9KF

I spotted this 2-3 years ago. The SSN file ends on that date. I made an extended file which can be swapped in. The values were guesses, so use the auto update feature to correct it.

File can be found at: http://w4.vp9kf.com/SSN.dat swap it into your directory where HamCAP is located and it'll run.

Michael Harris

Hi Paul,

Interesting, will have a look at your SSN file. I slave my Ham Cap to IonoProbe so have never used update manually. However, it won't accept IonoProbe input at present.

I have emailed Alex and he will hopefully sort it out.

Regards,

Mike VP8NO

On 09/01/2020 09:43, Paul Evans W4/VP9KF wrote:
I spotted this 2-3 years ago. The SSN file ends on that date. I made an extended file which can be swapped in. The values were guesses, so use the auto update feature to correct it.
File can be found at: http://w4.vp9kf.com/SSN.dat swap it into your directory where HamCAP is located and it'll run.

ik2agx

Hi Paul and Mike,

excerpt from Ham Cap readme.txt file:

3.3. Notes on Prediction Parameters

  Ham CAP has a built-in database of historical and predicted SSN values.
The SSN field is populated from this database whnever you change
the Year and Month field. Of course, you can override this value
with you own one. VOACAP requires a smoothed SSN number that is available from
many sources. Click on the button to the left of the SSN field to download SSN
off the web.

Downloaded file gives you the data to amend original file

73, Dave - IK2AGX

Vilhjalmur Sigurjonsson

FB DR Dave,

Do you know the name and location of the original file?

73 Villi
TF3VS

  Ham CAP has a built-in database of historical and predicted SSN values.
The SSN field is populated from this database whnever you change
the Year and Month field. Of course, you can override this value
with you own one. VOACAP requires a smoothed SSN number that is available from
many sources. Click on the button to the left of the SSN field to download SSN
off the web.

Downloaded file gives you the data to amend original file

73, Dave - IK2AGX

ik2agx

Hummmm,

here it doesn't go past Dec. 2019 in any case.

73, Dave - IK2AGX

ik2agx

Hi Villi,

file name is SSN.dat and is located in the Ham Cap folder,
but as I have just posted, despite editing the file with new data
it doens't go past Dec. 2019.

Also I notice that, at least in my case, when I open it, month is fixed to Jan. 2005
and is not updated by system clock.

73, Dave

ik2agx

John Munton - G7SSE

Dave

I got it to work by copying & pasting the following into that file:

Jan 2020=4.4
Feb 2020=4.8
Mar 2020=5.1
Apr 2020=5.5
May 2020=5.9
Jun 2020=6.4
Jul 2020=6.8
Aug 2020=7.3
Sep 2020=7.8
Oct 2020=8.3
Nov 2020=8.9
Dec 2020=9.5
Jan 2021=10.1
Feb 2021=10.8
Mar 2021=11.5
Apr 2021=12.2
May 2021=12.9
Jun 2021=13.7
Jul 2021=14.5
Aug 2021=15.4
Sep 2021=16.3
Oct 2021=17.2
Nov 2021=18.2
Dec 2021=19.2
Jan 2022=20.3
Feb 2022=21.4
Mar 2022=22.5
Apr 2022=23.7
May 2022=24.9
Jun 2022=26.1
Jul 2022=27.4
Aug 2022=28.7
Sep 2022=30
Oct 2022=31.4
Nov 2022=32.8
Dec 2022=34.3
Jan 2023=35.7
Feb 2023=37.3
Mar 2023=38.8
Apr 2023=40.4
May 2023=42
Jun 2023=43.6
Jul 2023=45.2
Aug 2023=46.9
Sep 2023=48.5
Oct 2023=50.2
Nov 2023=51.9
Dec 2023=53.6

73, John - G7SSE

file name is SSN.dat and is located in the Ham Cap folder,
but as I have just posted, despite editing the file with new data
it doens't go past Dec. 2019.

Also I notice that, at least in my case, when I open it, month is fixed to Jan. 2005
and is not updated by system clock.

73, Dave

Paul Evans W4/VP9KF

I'm sooooooooooo sri, you're right. When I foresaw this problem I extended the file and tested it. It worked fine. HOWEVER, there appears to be a hard coded problem in the code which won't work with a system clock past 2019-12-31! Hmmmm, that's why he stopped the data there. Mine starts stuck back in 2005 and won't progress past Dec 2019 too. So, we'll have to wait for the author to try to catch up with it.

Paul Evans W4/VP9KF

Ah, I think I see the problem! By any chance are you still running Win7? I moved to Win10 a short time ago and now it doesn't work. On top of that the web site does NOT say that it works under Win10. Wait to see what Alex says, but I think that's going to be the issue. If you have Win7, download my file or use G7SSE's data and it shud work OK.

John Munton - G7SSE

Running Win10 here Paul.

I just altered the data in your file to match the format of the original SSN.dat file and pasted it in.

73, John - G7SSE

Ah, I think I see the problem! By any chance are you still running Win7? I moved to Win10 a short time ago and now it doesn't work. On top of that the web site does NOT say that it works under Win10. Wait to see what Alex says, but I think that's going to be the issue. If you have Win7, download my file or use G7SSE's data and it shud work OK.

Michael Harris

Latest from Alex.

<snip>
"Please download the new SSN data from http://dxatlas.com/Download.asp

73 Alex VE3NEA"
<snip>

Scroll down to Han Cap and there you will find file - Ssn.dat

SSN data for 2005 - 2022.

Regards,

Mike VP8NO

ik2agx

Hi again John and Paul,

it still doesn't work here, mine too starts at 2005 and end up to 2019,
no way to go above.

I am using Win 10 here, I did try with both John datas and those downloaded
from here: http://www.dxatlas.com/Download.asp

no way to get it work.
As you can see VE3NEA is providing data up to 2022, so it should work, but it don't do here.

Just made another test, deleted old data and saved only new ones (actually starting form Jan. 2019),
strange enough HamCap still starts from Jan. 2005. ???

Please keep me posted if you get any info.

73, Dave - IK2AGX

Vilhjalmur Sigurjonsson

OK, I figured this out.

The key is to read the instruction from the author, hihi.

The new SSN file is in the download area of the software and the key to finding the location of the old file (it is NOT living with the program file) is to key into the command line „%appdata%\afreet\reference“ to open the directory where it is located.

All OK here now (Win10)

73 Villi
TF3VS

file name is SSN.dat and is located in the Ham Cap folder,
but as I have just posted, despite editing the file with new data
it doens't go past Dec. 2019.

Also I notice that, at least in my case, when I open it, month is fixed to Jan. 2005
and is not updated by system clock.

73, Dave

ik2agx

Ok, guys got it working at last !

the file SSN.dat to be amended is the one find at following path:
C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\Afreet\Reference

and not the one in the HamCap folder.

73, Dave

ik2agx

Villi,

our emails crossed, I just found the same as you state.

73, Dave

Rick Williams - VE7TK

Thanks ALL! I too got it working (WIN7)!

73, Rick
VE7TK

Giancarlo Dal Negro

Thanks a lot to all.
Now is working fine also for me (Win10-x64).
Need restart after change the file ssn.dat

Regards Carlo - ik3oyu