Getting Internet Callsign Lookup to work

John T. Blair

I'm trying to learn how to use Logger32 (Version 4.0.247) and hamqth.  I'm trying to setup Logger to get name, addres, etc. info from hamqth.  I've listened to a couple of youtube videos, use Loggers "Help system", and googled how to set up logger to link to hamqth, but can't get it to work.

I've read the part that says, " http://hamqth.com/adif.php?u=XXX&p=YYY&callsign=CALLSIGN&prg=LOGGER32 ", but the directions are a little on the poor side, or I'm pretty dumb. So here's what I've done:

1. I start out by going to the "Setup" pull down from the main menu.,
2. I select the "Auto lookup" pull down,
3. There are several options,  which no one really addresses.  Should I be selecting a. Auto Internet Callsign Lookup (external) or b. Auto Internet Callsign Lookup (internal)?  I selected "external" since I wanted to go outside logger to hamqth.com
4. Then I select icon #22 Internet Callsign Lookup. and the window opens:
5. I select the "Transfer" pulldown and select "Fields to transfer on Click"
6. Next select "Transfer selected fields on autolookup"
7. Next select the "Toolbox" pulldown and select "Setup external module to use"
8. A new window opens "Setup Internet Callsign Lookup" which has 2 columns:
     a. THis window opens with QRZ filled in, in the first row and it's button selected.
     b. I got to the 2nd row and enter:
         i. "Lookup from caption" in which I enter "Ham QTH"
        ii. "External program name" in which I enter:
               " http://HamQTH.com/adif.php?u=WA4OHZ&p=mypassword&callsign=Callsign "
     c. Click on the button for this "new" selection
     d. Click "Start" to exit that window

I think I've got it set up.  So I go to the log page input window and enter a callsign, ie: w5urx and hit "Enter"
The callsign is entered in the loogbook page, but the "Internet Callsign Lookup" window (Ham QTH) doesn't appear.

Using the icon #22 "Internet Callsign Lookup", it makes NO difference if I use the internal or external callsign auto lookup in the "Setup" and "Auto Lookup section.

Q1. What did I do wrong?

If I select icon #22 Internet Callsign Lookup, the "Internet Callsign Lookup" window (Ham QTH) will open, with an input box for Call:

Q2. Do I have to put the call sign in again?

It doesn't make any sense that I should have to put the callsign in again.  Why doesn't it take the call from the log page input window?

When I put the callsign in the input bar at "Call:" and hit enter, I get the error window:

Error #53 File not found

Third party module
' http://HamQTH.com/adif.php?u=WA4OHZ&p=mypassword&callsign=Callsign ' not found

So I select the "OK" button and that error message goes away.

Q3. What is wrong with the line in the error message?  It appears the "Callsign" is not being transfered from the "Call:" input box to this string that is trying to be executed.

If I take that line and put it in the URL text box of a browser window, and change the =Callsign to =W5URX, it returns the data to the browser.

Q4. What am I doing wrong?

After hours of working on this problem, I just found the section (11.1.1) in the help manual about this.  It states, "11.1.1Internal online lookup functionBy  default,  Logger32s  built-in  (internal)  Auto  lookup  function  works  with  the  HamQTH.com callsign database".  Great!!! that's what I want.

In this section, there is a picture that shows icon "#23 HamQTH".  Mine didn't say that, it said something a AFID or something like that.  I opend that and was able to change the title of that window to "HamQTH", but the caption
for Icon #22 Internet Callsign Lookup doesn't seem to be able to be changed.  As a novice with this program, the
fact that that ICON says "Internet Callsign Lookup", it would appear to be what I need to do the call sign lookup.

Anyway, I set up icon #23 and enter "WA4KAN" in the "Logbook entry window".  Still no window for HamQTH popping up.

The help manual says, "Auto-lookup  opens automatically if  you  enter  a callsign  into  the  Call field  of  the log  entry  pane, then <Tab>to or click another field, or if you click a QSO in your logbook."

I try pressing the <Tab> after I enter the call in the "Logbook entry window".  Nothing happens.  However, if I don't have a call sign in the "Logbook entry window" and then select icon #23 which I've made say "HamQTH" it will open and populate the information about the call sign from hamqth.com.  So some success.

So I have my screen now configured with the "Logbook entry window" in the upper left corner, the "Previous QSOs" in the middle of the upper set of windows, the "HamQTH" window on the right side, and the "Logbook page" across the bottom of the window.  Exit the program and hopefully it saves my setup.  I go back into Logger32 and the "HamQTH" window isn't there?

Q5. Why not?  Why do I have to select the icon #23 HamQTH icon on the menu bar, everytime I put in a new call sign?

One final item.
a. I start out opening logger32, and the HamQTH window isn't opened but it's icon (icon #23) on the menu bar is light.
b. I can enter a call sign in the "Call" box of the "Logbook entry window".  Icon #23 is still lit, so I click on it and the HamQTH window opens and is full of data for that callsign.  Go back to the "Logbook entry window" and press "Enter" and it writes an entry into the "Logbook page".
c. I fill in a new callsign back in the "Logbook entry window" and press <Tab>.  The icon #23 gets grayed out and I can't select it, nor did the "HamQTH" window open.

Q6. Why?  This doesn't make any sense.  The Help manual said that after I enter a callsign and press the <Tab> key the HamQTH window should open and display the data.  The only way I can't get icon #23 to light up, and allow me to select it, is to delete the call sign or press "Enter" and create a logbook entry.

Q7. How do I get the data from the HamQTH page to either populate the "Logbook entry window" or the "Logbook page" entry?  I'd like to have the name, and qth automatically fill the "Logbook entry window" and the "Logbook page".
I have selected in the "Transfer" pull down on the icom #23 "HamQTH" window and selected "Transfer first name" and QTH.

I'm slowly getting things to work, but boy what a learning curve.  I almost think I'd rather stick with a paper log book.

John

Avast logo

John T. Blair  WA4OHZ     email:  jblair1948@...
Va. Beach, Va                  Phone:  (757) 495-8229

          48 TR1800    48 #4 Midget    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V (B1106)
     75 Bricklin SV1 (#0887)    77 Spitfire    71 Saab Sonett III
                       65 Rambler Classic

Bricklin:     www.bricklin.org

If you can read this             - Thank a teacher!

From Dennis Prager - The American Trilogy:
     e pluribus Unum, "from many, one."
     In God We Trust
     Liberty - the  power  of  choosing,  thinking,  and  acting  for
                  oneself; freedom  from  control  or  restriction

--
JohnT WA4OHZ
Virginia Beach, VA

Fabio IZ8MBW

Lastest version is 4.0.253. Why do you use an older version?

73s
Fabio, IZ8MBW

On Thursday, April 29, 2021, 06:14:20 PM GMT+2, John T. Blair <jblair1948@...> wrote:

[...]

From Dennis Prager - The American Trilogy:
     e pluribus Unum, "from many, one."
     In God We Trust
     Liberty - the  power  of  choosing,  thinking,  and  acting  for
                  oneself; freedom  from  control  or  restriction

--
JohnT WA4OHZ
Virginia Beach, VA

n5kd

John,

Your Step 3 should be set to “internal”.

Your Step 4 should be #23 HamQTH lookup.

I use HamQTH, by the way

73’ Pete, N5KD.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Morgan:    www.team.net/morgan

Bricklin:     www.bricklin.org

If you can read this             - Thank a teacher!

From Dennis Prager - The American Trilogy:

At 12:24 PM 4/29/2021, you wrote:

>Lastest version is 4.0.253. Why do you use an older version?

Fabio,

Because, when I down loaded it back on 3/25 that's what came down.  I've spent
a lot of time trying to figure out how to do things and not really using the program.  I guess I've got about 8 hrs in trying to figure this problem out.

John

Avast logo

John T. Blair  WA4OHZ     email:  jblair1948@...
Va. Beach, Va                  Phone:  (757) 495-8229

          48 TR1800    48 #4 Midget    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V (B1106)
     75 Bricklin SV1 (#0887)    77 Spitfire    71 Saab Sonett III
                       65 Rambler Classic

Bricklin:     www.bricklin.org

If you can read this             - Thank a teacher!

From Dennis Prager - The American Trilogy:

At 12:24 PM 4/29/2021, you wrote:

>Lastest version is 4.0.253. Why do you use an older version?

Did that update fix the problem I'm having right now?  If not, I don't need the headache of trying to move what little I've got set up over to a newer version with more bugs, and the associated problems us most updates.  True I haven't done and update to Logger so maybe the don't have the same problems I have with almost every other update to every other program I have.

John

Avast logo

John T. Blair  WA4OHZ     email:  jblair1948@...
Va. Beach, Va                  Phone:  (757) 495-8229

          48 TR1800    48 #4 Midget    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V (B1106)
     75 Bricklin SV1 (#0887)    77 Spitfire    71 Saab Sonett III
                       65 Rambler Classic

Bricklin:     www.bricklin.org

If you can read this             - Thank a teacher!

From Dennis Prager - The American Trilogy:

At 12:50 PM 4/29/2021, you wrote:

>Your Step 3 should be set to "internal"�.

>Your Step 4 should be #23 HamQTH lookup.

>I use HamQTH, by the way

Pete,

Thanks for the input!!!

73's
John

Avast logo

John T. Blair  WA4OHZ     email:  jblair1948@...
Va. Beach, Va                  Phone:  (757) 495-8229

          48 TR1800    48 #4 Midget    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V (B1106)
     75 Bricklin SV1 (#0887)    77 Spitfire    71 Saab Sonett III
                       65 Rambler Classic

Bricklin:     www.bricklin.org

If you can read this             - Thank a teacher!

From Dennis Prager - The American Trilogy:
     e pluribus Unum, "from many, one."
     In God We Trust
     Liberty - the  power  of  choosing,  thinking,  and  acting  for
                  oneself; freedom  from  control  or  restriction

--
JohnT WA4OHZ
Virginia Beach, VA

Fabio IZ8MBW

Independently of your problem, version 4.0.253 don't have more bug.
Bob works lots to fix issues and say that version 4.0.253 have more bug respect to more older version is not a good point to start.

73s
Fabio, IZ8MBW

On Thursday, April 29, 2021, 06:58:58 PM GMT+2, John T. Blair <jblair1948@...> wrote:

At 12:24 PM 4/29/2021, you wrote:

>Lastest version is 4.0.253. Why do you use an older version?

Did that update fix the problem I'm having right now?  If not, I don't need the headache of trying to move what little I've got set up over to a newer version with more bugs, and the associated problems us most updates.  True I haven't done and update to Logger so maybe the don't have the same problems I have with almost every other update to every other program I have.

John

Avast logo

John T. Blair  WA4OHZ     email:  jblair1948@...
Va. Beach, Va                  Phone:  (757) 495-8229

          48 TR1800    48 #4 Midget    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V (B1106)
     75 Bricklin SV1 (#0887)    77 Spitfire    71 Saab Sonett III
                       65 Rambler Classic

Bricklin:     www.bricklin.org

If you can read this             - Thank a teacher!

From Dennis Prager - The American Trilogy:

At 01:16 PM 4/29/2021, you wrote:

>Independently of your problem, version 4.0.253 don't have more bug.   Bob
>works lots to fix issues and say that version 4.0.253 have more bug respect to
>more older version is not a good point to start.

Fabio,

Thanks.  I may have to try the update.  Until you mentioned it, I had no idea.
Like I said I downloaded it about a month ago.  So I wouldn't have thought there'd
be an update this soon.

73s
John

Avast logo

John T. Blair  WA4OHZ     email:  jblair1948@...
Va. Beach, Va                  Phone:  (757) 495-8229

          48 TR1800    48 #4 Midget    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V (B1106)
     75 Bricklin SV1 (#0887)    77 Spitfire    71 Saab Sonett III
                       65 Rambler Classic

Bricklin:     www.bricklin.org

If you can read this             - Thank a teacher!

From Dennis Prager - The American Trilogy:
     e pluribus Unum, "from many, one."
     In God We Trust
     Liberty - the  power  of  choosing,  thinking,  and  acting  for
                  oneself; freedom  from  control  or  restriction

--
JohnT WA4OHZ
Virginia Beach, VA

Fabio IZ8MBW

Logger32 runs Auto-Update via Internet.
In Logger32 simply click on Setup -> Updates -> Logger32 version updates -> Enable auto updates.
Restart Logger32 and after a while it will prompt to update to latest version (the PC must be on Internet).

73s
Fabio, IZ8MBW

On Thursday, April 29, 2021, 07:30:25 PM GMT+2, John T. Blair <jblair1948@...> wrote:

At 01:16 PM 4/29/2021, you wrote:

>Independently of your problem, version 4.0.253 don't have more bug.   Bob
>works lots to fix issues and say that version 4.0.253 have more bug respect to
>more older version is not a good point to start.

Fabio,

Thanks.  I may have to try the update.  Until you mentioned it, I had no idea.
Like I said I downloaded it about a month ago.  So I wouldn't have thought there'd
be an update this soon.

73s
John

Avast logo

John T. Blair  WA4OHZ     email:  jblair1948@...
Va. Beach, Va                  Phone:  (757) 495-8229

          48 TR1800    48 #4 Midget    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V (B1106)
     75 Bricklin SV1 (#0887)    77 Spitfire    71 Saab Sonett III
                       65 Rambler Classic

Bricklin:     www.bricklin.org

If you can read this             - Thank a teacher!

From Dennis Prager - The American Trilogy:
     e pluribus Unum, "from many, one."
     In God We Trust
     Liberty - the  power  of  choosing,  thinking,  and  acting  for
                  oneself; freedom  from  control  or  restriction

--
JohnT WA4OHZ
Virginia Beach, VA

Michael Harris

Setup > Updates > Logger32 version updates. Thereafter your choice.

Updates do not make changes to your settings.

Updates are advised on this list. Updates are maintenance releases which address reported bugs and occasionally introduce enhancements to current features. Follow the list and you will know what is going down. Often I lag updates by one or two particularly if they address issues that do not impact on my usage.

Regards,

Mike VP8NO

On 29/04/2021 14:28, John T. Blair wrote:
At 01:16 PM 4/29/2021, you wrote:

>Independently of your problem, version 4.0.253 don't have more bug.   Bob
>works lots to fix issues and say that version 4.0.253 have more bug
respect to
>more older version is not a good point to start.
Fabio,
Thanks.  I may have to try the update.  Until you mentioned it, I had no idea.
Like I said I downloaded it about a month ago.  So I wouldn't have thought there'd
be an update this soon.
73s
John
Avast logo <https://www.avast.com/antivirus>
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>
John T. Blair  WA4OHZ     email: jblair1948@cox.net
Va. Beach, Va Phone:  (757) 495-8229
          48 TR1800    48 #4 Midget    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V (B1106)
     75 Bricklin SV1 (#0887) 77 Spitfire    71 Saab Sonett III
65 Rambler Classic
Morgan: www.team.net/morgan <http://www.team.net/morgan>
Bricklin: www.bricklin.org <http://www.bricklin.org/>
If you can read this - Thank a teacher!
From Dennis Prager - The American Trilogy:

At 01:40 PM 4/29/2021, you wrote:

>Logger32 runs Auto-Update via Internet.
>In Logger32 simply click on Setup -> Updates -> Logger32 version updates ->
    Enable auto updates.
>Restart Logger32 and after a while it will prompt to update to latest version (the
>PC must be on Internet).

Fabio,

I went to Setup -> Updates -> Logger32 version updates ->
then selected "Look for updates now".

It came back with "Sorry, there are no new updates".

I also tried to the "Enable auto updates", exited the program, went back to it, and
I'm still on version 4.0.247

Avast logo

John T. Blair  WA4OHZ     email:  jblair1948@...
Va. Beach, Va                  Phone:  (757) 495-8229

          48 TR1800    48 #4 Midget    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V (B1106)
     75 Bricklin SV1 (#0887)    77 Spitfire    71 Saab Sonett III
                       65 Rambler Classic

Bricklin:     www.bricklin.org

If you can read this             - Thank a teacher!

From Dennis Prager - The American Trilogy:

At 01:47 PM 4/29/2021, you wrote:

>...Updates are advised on this list. Updates are maintenance releases which
>address reported bugs and occasionally introduce enhancements to current
>features. Follow the list and you will know what is going down. Often I lag updates
>by one or two particularly if they address issues that do not impact on my usage.

Mike,

Smart idea.  I've had too many updates for other programs & OSs crash systems in the past.

73
John

Avast logo

John T. Blair  WA4OHZ     email:  jblair1948@...
Va. Beach, Va                  Phone:  (757) 495-8229

          48 TR1800    48 #4 Midget    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V (B1106)
     75 Bricklin SV1 (#0887)    77 Spitfire    71 Saab Sonett III
                       65 Rambler Classic

Bricklin:     www.bricklin.org

If you can read this             - Thank a teacher!

From Dennis Prager - The American Trilogy:
     e pluribus Unum, "from many, one."
     In God We Trust
     Liberty - the  power  of  choosing,  thinking,  and  acting  for
                  oneself; freedom  from  control  or  restriction

--
JohnT WA4OHZ
Virginia Beach, VA

Fabio IZ8MBW

Is your PC on "direct" Internet?
I mean "direct" so not using any Proxy.

73s
Fabio, IZ8MBW

On Thursday, April 29, 2021, 08:07:29 PM GMT+2, John T. Blair <jblair1948@...> wrote:

At 01:40 PM 4/29/2021, you wrote:

>Logger32 runs Auto-Update via Internet.
>In Logger32 simply click on Setup -> Updates -> Logger32 version updates ->
    Enable auto updates.
>Restart Logger32 and after a while it will prompt to update to latest version (the
>PC must be on Internet).

Fabio,

I went to Setup -> Updates -> Logger32 version updates ->
then selected "Look for updates now".

It came back with "Sorry, there are no new updates".

I also tried to the "Enable auto updates", exited the program, went back to it, and
I'm still on version 4.0.247

Avast logo

John T. Blair  WA4OHZ     email:  jblair1948@...
Va. Beach, Va                  Phone:  (757) 495-8229

          48 TR1800    48 #4 Midget    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V (B1106)
     75 Bricklin SV1 (#0887)    77 Spitfire    71 Saab Sonett III
                       65 Rambler Classic

Bricklin:     www.bricklin.org

If you can read this             - Thank a teacher!

From Dennis Prager - The American Trilogy:
     e pluribus Unum, "from many, one."
     In God We Trust
     Liberty - the  power  of  choosing,  thinking,  and  acting  for
                  oneself; freedom  from  control  or  restriction

--
JohnT WA4OHZ
Virginia Beach, VA

John T. Blair

Now that I sort of have the HamQTH working, let me ask a few more questions
about the "Auto Lookup" function.

According to the help manual says, "Auto-lookup  opens automatically if  you  enter  a callsign  into  the  Call field  of  the log  entry  pane, then <Tab>to or click another field, or if you click a QSO in your logbook."

I try pressing the <Tab> after I enter the call in the "Logbook entry window".  Nothing happens.  However, if I don't have a call sign in the "Logbook entry window" and then select icon #23 which I've made say "HamQTH" it will open and populate the information about the call sign from hamqth.com.  So some success.

Q1. But the HamQTH winodow doesn't open automatically like it says in the help
manual.  Is this normal?

Q2. I have to select the icon #23 HamQTH icon on the menu bar, everytime I put in a new call sign.  Is this normal?

More questions to come.

73s
John

Avast logo

John T. Blair  WA4OHZ     email:  jblair1948@...
Va. Beach, Va                  Phone:  (757) 495-8229

          48 TR1800    48 #4 Midget    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V (B1106)
     75 Bricklin SV1 (#0887)    77 Spitfire    71 Saab Sonett III
                       65 Rambler Classic

Bricklin:     www.bricklin.org

If you can read this             - Thank a teacher!

From Dennis Prager - The American Trilogy:

At 02:21 PM 4/29/2021, you wrote:

>Is your PC on "direct" Internet?  I mean "direct" so not using any Proxy.

Fabio,

Yes.  I'm on a local area WiFi network with a direct connection to the internet.  No Proxy, no fire wall.

John

Avast logo

John T. Blair  WA4OHZ     email:  jblair1948@...
Va. Beach, Va                  Phone:  (757) 495-8229

          48 TR1800    48 #4 Midget    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V (B1106)
     75 Bricklin SV1 (#0887)    77 Spitfire    71 Saab Sonett III
                       65 Rambler Classic

Bricklin:     www.bricklin.org

If you can read this             - Thank a teacher!

From Dennis Prager - The American Trilogy:
     e pluribus Unum, "from many, one."
     In God We Trust
     Liberty - the  power  of  choosing,  thinking,  and  acting  for
                  oneself; freedom  from  control  or  restriction

--
JohnT WA4OHZ
Virginia Beach, VA

Jan

John

In the HamQTH ADIF lookup window go to Transfer and select Transfer selected fields on autolookup
In the next popup window choose whatever you want to be transferred into Logger32

73
Jan
PA4JJ

Op 29-4-2021 om 20:30 schreef John T. Blair:

[...]

From Dennis Prager - The American Trilogy:
     e pluribus Unum, "from many, one."
     In God We Trust
     Liberty - the  power  of  choosing,  thinking,  and  acting  for
                  oneself; freedom  from  control  or  restriction

--
JohnT WA4OHZ
Virginia Beach, VA

my dxspider clusters running on a raspberry pi zero:
pa4jj-2 83.162.186.242 port 7300
pa4jj-3 83.162.186.242 port 7388

Jan

Oh and after you typed a call in the entry window you have to go to the SENTRST box

73
Jan
PA4JJ

Op 29-4-2021 om 20:36 schreef Jan:
[...]

From Dennis Prager - The American Trilogy:
     e pluribus Unum, "from many, one."
     In God We Trust
     Liberty - the  power  of  choosing,  thinking,  and  acting  for
                  oneself; freedom  from  control  or  restriction

--
JohnT WA4OHZ
Virginia Beach, VA

my dxspider clusters running on a raspberry pi zero:
pa4jj-2 83.162.186.242 port 7300
pa4jj-3 83.162.186.242 port 7388

my dxspider clusters running on a raspberry pi zero:
pa4jj-2 83.162.186.242 port 7300
pa4jj-3 83.162.186.242 port 7388

Jan

Another oops
When you are in the Transfer tab go to the first option and check what you want to be transferred.
The place a checkmark at the secon option when you are in the transfer tab.

73
Jan
PA4JJ

Op 29-4-2021 om 20:39 schreef Jan:
[...]

From Dennis Prager - The American Trilogy:

At 02:36 PM 4/29/2021, you wrote:

>In the HamQTH ADIF lookup window go to Transfer and select Transfer selected  fields on autolookup

>In the next popup window choose whatever you want to be transferred into Logger32

>Oh and after you typed a call in the entry window you have to go to the SENTRST box

Jan,

I think I've done that.  See attached screen print.

John

Avast logo

JohnT WA4OHZ
Virginia Beach, VA

Fabio IZ8MBW

so no idea why you cannot get latest Logger32 version since you are direct connected on Internet.

73s
Fabio, IZ8MBW

On Thursday, April 29, 2021, 08:33:13 PM GMT+2, John T. Blair <jblair1948@...> wrote:

At 02:21 PM 4/29/2021, you wrote:

>Is your PC on "direct" Internet?  I mean "direct" so not using any Proxy.

Fabio,

Yes.  I'm on a local area WiFi network with a direct connection to the internet.  No Proxy, no fire wall.

John

Avast logo

John T. Blair  WA4OHZ     email:  jblair1948@...
Va. Beach, Va                  Phone:  (757) 495-8229

          48 TR1800    48 #4 Midget    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V (B1106)
     75 Bricklin SV1 (#0887)    77 Spitfire    71 Saab Sonett III
                       65 Rambler Classic

Bricklin:     www.bricklin.org

If you can read this             - Thank a teacher!

From Dennis Prager - The American Trilogy: