Frequency/Mode display gone wild - RCP

John, G4DRS

I have an FTdx5000 setup as radio 1 and an IC7300 as radio 2.
I have both RCP displays set to show the frequency and mode side by side.
When the active radio is toggled to Radio 2, all behaves as expected.
If I toggle Radio 1 active, then all is well unless I set the radio to PKT-USB, RTTY or AM. In those cases, the RCP seems to cycle between various modes, as shown in the attached screengrabs. Nothing has changed on the radio between each screengrab.
I just tried it again and, sometimes, LSB results in the cycling.
What could I have set up incorrectly in my Radio 1 setup to cause this confusion?
I have also attached a screengrab of the Radio Debug window, taken when the cycling was occurring and another, taken when it was not cycling.
Finally, I have attached a screengrab of my setup for Radio 1.

73,

John
G4DRS

Bob

Do you have either the slave or echo port open/configured? SeventyThree(s).

On Thu, May 6, 2021 at 05:13 PM, Bob wrote:
Do you have either the slave or echo port open/configured?
Yes, the Slave port is configured to talk to SDRConsole and an SDRPlay RSP1A.

73,

John
G4DRS

John, G4DRS

On Thu, May 6, 2021 at 06:00 PM, John, G4DRS wrote:
Yes, the Slave port is configured to talk to SDRConsole and an SDRPlay RSP1A.
and, as implied (I believe) by your question, if I close the Slave port everything behaves impeccably.

Maybe it's SDRConsole sticking its nose in where it shouldn't...

John
G4DRS

n5kd

Nothing to do with your question John, but enjoyed the QSO this morning.
73’ Pete, N5KD / G4DVP.

Sent from my mobile

On May 6, 2021, at 12:02, John, G4DRS via groups.io <g4drs@...> wrote:

On Thu, May 6, 2021 at 06:00 PM, John, G4DRS wrote:
Yes, the Slave port is configured to talk to SDRConsole and an SDRPlay RSP1A.
and, as implied (I believe) by your question, if I close the Slave port everything behaves impeccably.

Maybe it's SDRConsole sticking its nose in where it shouldn't...

John
G4DRS

John, G4DRS

Me too!
It was a good one, despite the best efforts of the QSB!

John
G4DRS

John, G4DRS

Edited

On Thu, May 6, 2021 at 06:02 PM, John, G4DRS wrote:
if I close the Slave port everything behaves impeccably.
Bob,
I have had another look.
I think you are onto something with the Slave port.
I screengrabbed the I/O monitor in SDRConsole when I did a radio toggle command. My toggle macro is as follows:

$radio1$
$ClearLog$
$slaveportopen$
$SlaveSync$

I expected to see a 'MDx' command when the Slavesync command ran, but there only seems to be a FAxxxxxxx command.
Have I set something wrong? I thought $slavesync$ synchronised both frequency and mode.
The absence of the MDx command may explain the wonky behaviour, I don't know.

If I change mode and frequency, the slave port receiver follows the mode and frequency if I change to USB or CW, but it seems to follow only the frequency if I change to LSB, RTTY, or PKT.
Does that make any sense to you at all?

<<Edit:
Closer examination of the SDRConsole serial monitor shows that it receives:
MD2 when I press USB
MD3                      CW
MD7                      CW-R
MD4                      FM
MD5                      AM

When I press any of the other modes (LSB, RTTY, RTTY-R, PKT, or PKT-R, SDRConsole does not register any MD command.>>

Cheers,

John
G4DRS

Bob

Its hieroglyphics to me. I don't have a radio with CAT, and all the radio control stuff in Logger32 was written in the blind. However, as you said it all works as expected with the Icom, I suspect the problem is the mode mapping is configured for the Icom, and not Yahoo. Click SETUP | RADIO | SLAVE PORT CONFIGURATION. Mode mapping is at the right of the window. SeventyThree(s).

PS. I suspect $slavesync$ should send both freq/mode. You can check this by looking at the radio debug window. Is it possible that because it can't correctly map the radio mode to the SDR mode it simply doesn't send anything?

On Thu, May 6, 2021 at 08:54 PM, Bob wrote:
Is it possible that because it can't correctly map the radio mode to the SDR mode it simply doesn't send anything
That's exactly the problem.
I have mapped the modes in the Slave port config and, with the exception of RTTY-USB (which I can't get quite right yet), the wildness has gone. I can see the appropriate MDx commands in the SDRConsole serial monitor window.

Thanks, Bob.
Once again, all sorted.

Cheers,

John