Flexnet

Josef Klimosz <Josef.Klimosz@...>

Only one way I know:

Use Telnet (in Logger) <> IZ4AFW Interface (SW - www.qsl.net/iz4afw) <>
SV2AGW (SW TNC - www.qsl.net/ok2wo). It works for DX Cluster
Monitoring/Connection (no file transfer is supported).

73 Josef

Is there any chance to use Logger together with Flexnet? In other words
with a software TNC!
Raffaele
HB9UAG

Raffaele.Sogno@...

Dear Members

Is there any chance to use Logger together with Flexnet? In other words
with a software TNC!

Thanks for your responce in advance!

Best regards

Raffaele
HB9UAG

Fred Decker <fdecker@...>

:

Use Telnet (in Logger) <> IZ4AFW Interface (SW - www.qsl.net/iz4afw) <>
SV2AGW (SW TNC - www.qsl.net/ok2wo). It works for DX Cluster
Monitoring/Connection (no file transfer is supported).
Could you explain what these are? I went to both of these pages and
wasted 30 minutes and have no idea what they are talking about. This is
not because I am not technical, it is because the pages are so poorly
organized and have no FAQ or simple explanation of what the products are
and what they do.

I take is SW in the first one means that Fabio has a software program that
does something? And SW TNC means that you don't need any hardware, there
is some program that emulates one?

If so, how is this any different from what Logger can do internally just
using a telnet connection to any of the net links? Thanks!

Fred
N4IXL

N4IXL wrote:
Could you explain what these are? I went to both of these pages and
wasted 30 minutes and have no idea what they are talking about. This is
not because I am not technical, it is because the pages are so poorly
organized and have no FAQ or simple explanation of what the products are
and what they do.
Sri Fred, these pages are not for education. It is simply crossover or
source of files/programs which you can use. You must download it, unzip and
read README and HELP files if you are not "in picture". Because the setting
of Flexnet is more complicated than AGW Packet Engine I supposed that you
are experienced user of that. Sorry for it. If you are beginner in Packet I
suggest - buy good TNC and use Logger Data terminal. It is simplest and
quickest way. Otherwise you must learn, learn, learn - as Lenin told before
90 years...

I take is SW in the first one means that Fabio has a software program that
does something? And SW TNC means that you don't need any hardware, there
is some program that emulates one?
Software by SV2AGW is "virtual TNC" which is working in computer memory
(just as Flexnet). It uses some serial port for connection with simple modem
(Baycom, YAM...) or KISS modem (any TNC which can be switched to KISS mode)
as well as soundcard. You must decide what hardware you will use. More about
Baycom modems or KISS mode you can find on appropriate pages. Read AGW
manual!

Software by IZ4AFW is a "bridge" or "pipe" for data transfer between SV2AGW
virtual TNC and Logger. Because it uses TCP/IP protocol you must use Telnet
terminal for connection with IZ4AFW interface. All is clearly described on
Fabio's WEB.

If so, how is this any different from what Logger can do internally just
using a telnet connection to any of the net links? Thanks!
In practice you must (if you want to use these programs) run all by this
order:
1. Run SV2AGW (stay resident in memory)
2. Run IZ4AFW (stay resident in memory)
3. Run Logger, than Telnet, than call local cluster node via IZ4AFW as
described in Fabio's page. Connect to cluster and use normal commands
(SH/DX...). Or (if no connection is checked in IZ4AFW) you Telnet will
connect to IZ4AFW and will monitor the traffic on your local node. DX spots
(DX de....) will be automatically transferred to Logger for your info.

I hope you are now more "IN". Very please, read manuals/helps first.

73 Josef

Bob Marumba <radiobob69@...>

In simple terms it's like a software kludge that replaces a hardware TNC.

73's radiobob

N4IXL wrote:
Could you explain what these are? I went to both of these pages and
wasted 30 minutes and have no idea what they are talking about. This is
not because I am not technical, it is because the pages are so poorly
organized and have no FAQ or simple explanation of what the products are
and what they do.

Fred Decker <fdecker@...>

Thank you Josef, you are right I have a lot to learn. :) This sounds a
lot more complicated than either just using a regular TNC (which I have)
or using the built in capabilities of Logger to connect to any of the
dozens of DX Internet sites out there. I think the only benefit of this
method is that you can connect to a LOCAL DX cluster, where with Logger it
has to be a specially setup internet DX cluster and you might not have one
that represents your area. Is this right? I have logged into some of the
default internet DX stations that come with Logger and they work just
fine.

If you or anyone else can tell me another reason why I would want to use
the "virtual tnc" method instead of what is built into logger, that would
help me understand. Thanks.

Fred
N4IXL

Bob Marumba <radiobob69@...>

Fred you wouldnt probably want to be using virtual modems because you have full time innernet access so you can use the telnet stuff.

You see Fred, those boys in some places in Europe don't have all day all nite innernet access at a cheap price like we do here in the states. And most places in Europe packet radio is still popular and hardware stuff like a TNC are pretty darn pricey. So them German boys developed this Baycomm style modem which turned out to be a pretty darn good replacement item for a TNC. The Baycomm deal allowed a lot of the other boys over there in Europe to built their own TNC. Problem is the Baycom type TNCS aint really like a hardware TNC theys more like a dumb modem and they dont do the work in the hardware, the actual packet work has to be done inside the software program so all of them there Baycomm modems needs special softwares. They don't work with the ordinary old every day dumb terminal type programs. Plus them packet boys over there is a lot more sofisticated than we are in the states and most of them not foolin around with no 1200 bauds stuff, theys running some pretty darn hispeed networks and stuff. They say that Neccesity is somebodys mother and when you cant run to the AES catalog and buy any old thing you wants it turns you into an inventor. Or something like that. Anyway them boys in Europe builts a whole lot of their own stuff, thats why they all knows about stuff like diodes and DTRs when it comes to hooking up them Icom radios too. Them boys dont run to MFJ and buy one of them fancy radio cable things for 50 dollars like we do they just go ahead and builts there own for 50 cents. So thats why theys using packet radio instead of the telnet stuff like we is. I bet something else you didnt know too Fred. Some of them boys in Europe has to pay for innernet service by the MINUTE and they has to pay extra for every bite of email that they download. Which means that even stuff like a simple email list like this here list can cost them guys lots of money. While back them boys in Europe was talking about computers and one of them says that a 486 computer over there in some places costs more money than the avrage guy makes working at his regular job in a month! Anyhow Fred thats why theys using Baycom style modems and that virtual stuff in Europe. They needs there money for other stuff besides ham radio stuff.

73's radiobob

From: "Fred Decker" <fdecker@csi.com>
To: <hamlogger@egroups.com>
Subject: Re: [hamlogger] Flexnet
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 10:49:52 -0400

If you or anyone else can tell me another reason why I would want to use
the "virtual tnc" method instead of what is built into logger, that would
help me understand. Thanks.

Fred
N4IXL

Fred Decker <fdecker@...>

Thanks for all the comments (you too Bubba Bob :)), and yes I do know
about European phone and internet access (their phone service is also
billed by the minute even for local calls) as I spent time on business and
vacations to Europe. I understand that all that is changing... finally.

I face my own technology limitations. I build a lot of things, but only
those things that are fun or learning experiences, or that I can't buy
cheaper on the market. I am not going to build my own TNC, but with
everything wanting a serial port (tnc, rig control, rotor control,
programming VHF/UHF radio, digital camera, gps, ad infinitum) I just don't
have the ports. That and I like to run APRS and that ties up the TNC.

Too bad the internet is replacing most of the things we use ham radio for,
but for me keeping things that work better on the computer (data related),
from things that work best on the radio (verbal, psk, cw communication),
seems to do well. That is why I like logger to use the internet
connection to get my DX spots. Only problem is that if I want to run APRS
with a TNC, I have to use a second computer with 2 serial ports if I want
it connected to data aquisition like WX hardward or a GPS.

I love seeing pictures of shacks with a wall full of radios, and 3 and 4
networked computers. Can you believe where we have taken this "hobby"?
It looks more like NORAD. :)

Fred
N4IXL