Flex6600M COM port

David KN2M

I have updated to latest Flex 3.2.29.  I have lost the COM port connection to Logger32 in the new setup.  To be honest, I do not recall how I set this up previously.  Anyone else out there that shares the situation?  Right now, I am not at the remote location, so I can not physically inspect the setup.  Thank you.

Gary Hinson

Hi David,

Does this help?

That’s lifted from the User Manual.

If it doesn’t quite work, or there’s more to it, please can someone let me know so I can update the manual.

Kind regards,

Gary

Logo

Gary Hinson

Gary@...

IsecT Limited

New Zealand

Information security

ISO/IEC 27001 standards

Security metrics

Security policies

From: Bob <k4cy@...>
To: hamlogger@groups.io
Date: 06/09/2021 10:43 AM

If Logger32 says the are no com ports, then verify this with the Windows Device Manager. SeventyThree(s).

On 06/09/2021 6:27 AM David KN2M <rodman@...> wrote:

Thanks, Gary.  What I was getting at was I do not know how to identify the 6600M COM port number.  It was 16 prior to the update.  Now, that number disappeared from the COM port list.  All Logger32 will show now is None.......

I am trying to do this by remote control and it is a bit frustrating.

Thank you.

Bob

... and just think how many ports would disappear if Logger32 supported more than two radios. The mind boggles. SeventyThree(s).

On 06/09/2021 12:57 PM David KN2M <rodman@...> wrote:

I see this as a what came first the chicken or the egg.

CAT brings up a UDP.  CAT does not show a COM port.  Logger 32 needs a COM number to work.  I don't know how to determine what number to put into Hamlogger for the Flex after the update.  I don't know where the COM16 previously used went to.  I don't recall how it was assigned.

Logger32 shows NONE for the com port, 16 is not available and does not show on my list.

Thanks

David KN2M

I found this note in my computer.  It has to do with Logger32 and COM ports.

C:\Windows\SysWOW64 now contains modified MSComm32.Ocx file and original is named 3d1000MSComm32.Ocx
MSComm32.Ocx was also found at C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\NewOS\Windows\Sys\WOW64 and same substitution was made
Done in order to allow Logger32 more COM port headroom.
The modification was 3D 10 00 to 3D FF 00.  The modified MSComm32.Ocx file is stored as 3df

AND this note:

SmartSDR CAT necessary for FLEX-6600M to appear in Logger32 COM16

I still can't use Logger32 with the FLEX even though I reloaded the SDR program and find no other obvious problem or cause for the failure to connect.

and YES, I DO have other radios with COM ports that still work with Logger32 and those did NOT disappear.  AND I would like MORE radios available because my station has three rigs.  Thank you.

So, the question MAY be when Flex updated the new software, the drivers were replaced.  Have I "hit" the upper limit of COM ports again and is it impossible to go back to a previously assigned port, ie 16??

Thank you.

David KN2M

Surely, there must be someone out there who knows more about this than I do (which is virtually nothing).  What is the limit on COM port assignment in Logger32, especially the new 4.x version??  Does this matter??

Bob

One of the two stated objectives of Logger32 v4.0 was to replace the legacy Microsoft serial port OCX (MSComm32.OCX) with something that, without modification, could see an an address of > 16, and was better suited to handle the current generation of serial port devices that can talk and listen at the same time (they support OverlappedIO). MSComm32 has been replaced, and in the current release looks for serial port devices up to (and including) 255.

Previously, I offered the though that if the Windows device manager couldn't see radios serial port then Logger32 probably wouldn't be able to see it either. Apparently that thought fell on deaf ears. So, let me ask you a direction ... Can the Windows device manager see the radio serial port? SeventyThree(s).

On 06/11/2021 11:21 PM David KN2M <rodman@...> wrote:

[...]

Ted_W4NZ

David,

Are the Flex radio and SmartSDR both on version 3.2.39?

What com ports are defined in SmartSDR CAT? You should also see these ports in Device Manager.  SmartSDR CAT is where the virtual com ports are created by SmartSDR for third party apps, like logger32, N1MM, etc. to communicate with the Flex radio.  Consult your SmartCAT User Guide if you need more info on creating com ports.

Here’s my Flex 6600M configuration in Logger32 (v.4.0.265):

Ted W4NZ

[...]

There is outlined on the Flex Radio Community site a method to remove unused CAT ports created by the SmartSDR software.  This will free these ports for use again if not currently assigned.
This may be your problem if you cant create any more ports below 16.

You can go into the CAT pane that creates your CAT ports, carefully note and write down which ports you have created.  Choose Remove at the bottom, this will remove any current ports that are assigned by SmartSDR CAT.  Then reboot computer.  Bring up SmartSDR again and recreate your CAT ports using freed CAT numbers.  As many have said before, you can use Device Manager to see what ports are created at any time..  SmartSDR CAT ports are shown there as well as other CAT ports create by other software and physical ports as well.  Jim K4JAF

If you need further help, I can assist you via phone sometime, just let me know..

Surely, there must be someone out there who knows more about this than I do (which is virtually nothing).  What is the limit on COM port assignment in Logger32, especially the new 4.x version??  Does this matter??

Jim Cox

As another suggestion, have you placed a trouble ticket into Flex support.  They can walk you through your problem and will reply to you very quickly during the week.  Do this, instead of struggling yourself if not at least somewhat computer savvy.  Flex radios do require some computer knowledge.

Surely, there must be someone out there who knows more about this than I do (which is virtually nothing).  What is the limit on COM port assignment in Logger32, especially the new 4.x version??  Does this matter??

David KN2M

Thank you.

I have read and re-read all notes from Bob, Ted and Jim.  I found a way and needed to add a virtual serial port for Logger32 in CAT after the software change (COM19) and the frequency now appears in the logging window.  That was just not obvious at first and not automatic.

Success!