Topics

Elecraft K4 ...


Bob
 

I can't help but notice that Elecraft continues to ratchet up their marketing efforts for the already over-hyped K4x model (soon to be available with a non trivial deposit, at an unknown final price, and unknown delivery date).

Bernie Madoff would be proud of them ... 

But, what do I know? They have a significant cult following, so why not exploit it? I really don't care. But, as I have an enquiring mind, does anyone know how/what the CAT interface will be? Is it as before, K3 like, or will it be a direct ethernet API driven interface? SeventyThree(s).






Bob
 

Either no-one knows, or no-one cares. OK, let's try this - Does the K4 have/support CESSB or predistortion linearization? SeventyThree(s).

On 09/04/2020 6:17 PM Bob <k4cy@...> wrote:


I can't help but notice that Elecraft continues to ratchet up their marketing efforts for the already over-hyped K4x model (soon to be available with a non trivial deposit, at an unknown final price, and unknown delivery date).

Bernie Madoff would be proud of them ... 

But, what do I know? They have a significant cult following, so why not exploit it? I really don't care. But, as I have an enquiring mind, does anyone know how/what the CAT interface will be? Is it as before, K3 like, or will it be a direct ethernet API driven interface? SeventyThree(s).






Michael Harris
 

See the K4 presentation on the Elecraft You tube channel.

Regards,

Mike VP8NO

On 06/09/2020 10:56, Bob wrote:
Either no-one knows, or no-one cares. OK, let's try this - Does the K4 have/support CESSB or predistortion linearization? SeventyThree(s).


Bob
 

Mike, which one, there are dozens of them. Some as old as two years ago. I have watched a couple, without actually learning anything other that it's a 'game changer', and 'it's better than sliced bread'. I have Googled extensively, but have not found a single hit that includes K4 and CESSB or K4 and predistortion. SeventyThree(s).

On 09/06/2020 10:26 AM Michael Harris via groups.io <mike.harris=horizon.co.fk@groups.io> wrote:


See the K4 presentation on the Elecraft You tube channel.

Regards,

Mike VP8NO

On 06/09/2020 10:56, Bob wrote:
Either no-one knows, or no-one cares. OK, let's try this - Does the K4
have/support CESSB or predistortion linearization? SeventyThree(s).


Michael Harris
 

Hi Bob,

All I can report is that there is a sample IN jack on the rear panel.

https://www.youtube.com/c/ElecraftChannel

a 24 minute presentation by Eric.

Nothing on CESSB which sounds a bit like pre distortion by another name but is possibly a different DSP application. I read about it once a couple of years ago, in QEX maybe, but cannot remember much about it.

Regards,

Mike VP8NO

On 06/09/2020 11:46, Bob wrote:
Mike, which one, there are dozens of them. Some as old as two years ago. I have watched a couple, without actually learning anything other that it's a 'game changer', and 'it's better than sliced bread'. I have Googled extensively, but have not found a single hit that includes K4 and CESSB or K4 and predistortion. SeventyThree(s).

On 09/06/2020 10:26 AM Michael Harris via groups.io <mike.harris=horizon.co.fk@groups.io> wrote:

See the K4 presentation on the Elecraft You tube channel.

Regards,

Mike VP8NO

On 06/09/2020 10:56, Bob wrote:
Either no-one knows, or no-one cares. OK, let's try this - Does the K4
have/support CESSB or predistortion linearization? SeventyThree(s).


Bob
 

Thanks Mike. I have subsequently learned that adaptive predistortion will be added at some future date. And, yes CESSB was the subject of a QEX article some time ago. That I know of, the Flex 6000 series are the only ones to have implemented it. SeventyThree(s).

On 09/06/2020 12:23 PM Michael Harris via groups.io <mike.harris=horizon.co.fk@groups.io> wrote:


Hi Bob,

All I can report is that there is a sample IN jack on the rear panel.

https://www.youtube.com/c/ElecraftChannel

a 24 minute presentation by Eric.

Nothing on CESSB which sounds a bit like pre distortion by another name
but is possibly a different DSP application. I read about it once a
couple of years ago, in QEX maybe, but cannot remember much about it.

Regards,

Mike VP8NO

On 06/09/2020 11:46, Bob wrote:
Mike, which one, there are dozens of them. Some as old as two years ago. I have watched a couple, without actually learning anything other that it's a 'game changer', and 'it's better than sliced bread'. I have Googled extensively, but have not found a single hit that includes K4 and CESSB or K4 and predistortion. SeventyThree(s).

On 09/06/2020 10:26 AM Michael Harris via groups.io <mike.harris=horizon.co.fk@groups.io> wrote:


See the K4 presentation on the Elecraft You tube channel.

Regards,

Mike VP8NO

On 06/09/2020 10:56, Bob wrote:
Either no-one knows, or no-one cares. OK, let's try this - Does the K4
have/support CESSB or predistortion linearization? SeventyThree(s).