Topics

Edit Errors

HI3B Radhames

Hi Bob and all again:

I will explain step by step, what I was doing before the errors that appeared later:

1st. From the main Logbook window, I did a click to open the Search box.
2nd.) I this box I  look for by date, by code or by the number of Qso that L32 has already assigned for the Qso that I won't edit.  For example in the picture the first contact of a series or chain that I want to modify, changing the year and in someone rare cases the year and time, increasing it when is necessary.

3rd.) I place the pointer over the date field and make a left click that allows me to make the modification or change. In the case, change the number 3 for the number 2.

4th) I move to the next field. It is the Time (in my case INICIO in Spanish) and makes the change if necessary. If not, then I move until the next field. iIs the Call (in my case INDICATIVO, in Spanish), so that the change made is assumed or executed.

Sometimes doing exactly the same thing, the error appears and other times the error does not appear, with the indicated consequence. It is when that line show empty because be loses all the data, including the QSO number field.   At this point appear the ERROR WINDOWS and I L32 is locked, until I mark OK in the WINDOW ERROR. Doing that, the Qso is permanently deleted and the contact disappears definitively.

5th.)   I check that the Qso was deleted by doing a search again. As the contact was in my written logbook, I have to write it again and renumber all the contacts, so that it occupies its exact place, in order of date and time. 

6th.)  The full text of the error message (including the top line), varies in terms of the long string of numbers, and says so (sic):
"db Write Error: VIS_dUPDATE_VIOLATION (the title), followed in some cases by" Error modifying the GRIDSQUARE with the following data: "Then I make a click over OK and the following description appears:" Unable to add modified record with primary key: 33873.16875 ". Other times appear another number of the primary key as 33873   1590277778, and so on.

It is the best I can explain. I suppose different numbers could continue to appear every time.

I have always understood was the unique and correct way to modify or edit a Qso. If there were another one, I would appreciate your suggestion to me it. 

I had always done it that way, without any problem, with other old versions of L32. I don't have absolute knowledge about programming, but I think the issue could be typical of bad and unexpert user like me, and not caused for internal issues of this version or  previous ones.

Thanks for all.
Below your recommendations.

It would help if you would tell me the complete text of the error message (including the top line). This would tell me why Logger32 could not write the new date/time into the logbook. What exactly do you type when changing the date or time. For example if you have a QSO with the time or 01:23 and you want to change it to 12:34. You click on the time and the color changes. You erase the 01:23 and type in 12:34. Now exactly what do you do? What do you type now, or where do you click the mouse? SeventyThree(s).

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

--
HI3B

Bob

UPDATE_VIOLATION error message tells me that the QSO is already in the Logbook. We know it is not in the logbook, so how/why is it trying to do this?  Thank you for the description of what you do to edit the date. You said this:

3rd.) I place the pointer over the date field and make a left click that allows me to make the modification or change. In the case, change the number 3 for the number 2.

4th) I move to the next field. It is the Time (in my case INICIO in Spanish) and makes the change if necessary.

Please tell me how you move to the next field? How do you do this - with the mouse, the arrow key, the tab key?

Another question. You describe changing the date, then changing the time, then maybe changing the gridsquare, Does the error happen when you change the date, or when you change the time, or when you change the gridsquare. SeventyThee(s)

On October 8, 2019 at 2:31 PM HI3B Radhames <hi3b@...> wrote:

Hi Bob and all again:

I will explain step by step, what I was doing before the errors that appeared later:

2nd.) I this box I  look for by date, by code or by the number of Qso that L32 has already assigned for the Qso that I won't edit.  For example in the picture the first contact of a series or chain that I want to modify, changing the year and in someone rare cases the year and time, increasing it when is necessary.

4th) I move to the next field. It is the Time (in my case INICIO in Spanish) and makes the change if necessary. If not, then I move until the next field. iIs the Call (in my case INDICATIVO, in Spanish), so that the change made is assumed or executed.

Sometimes doing exactly the same thing, the error appears and other times the error does not appear, with the indicated consequence. It is when that line show empty because be loses all the data, including the QSO number field.   At this point appear the ERROR WINDOWS and I L32 is locked, until I mark OK in the WINDOW ERROR. Doing that, the Qso is permanently deleted and the contact disappears definitively.

5th.)   I check that the Qso was deleted by doing a search again. As the contact was in my written logbook, I have to write it again and renumber all the contacts, so that it occupies its exact place, in order of date and time. 

6th.)  The full text of the error message (including the top line), varies in terms of the long string of numbers, and says so (sic):
"db Write Error: VIS_dUPDATE_VIOLATION (the title), followed in some cases by" Error modifying the GRIDSQUARE with the following data: " Then I make a click over OK and the following description appears: " Unable to add modified record with primary key: 33873.16875 ". Other times appear another number of the primary key as 33873   1590277778, and so on.

It is the best I can explain. I suppose different numbers could continue to appear every time.

I have always understood was the unique and correct way to modify or edit a Qso. If there were another one, I would appreciate your suggestion to me it. 

I had always done it that way, without any problem, with other old versions of L32. I don't have absolute knowledge about programming, but I think the issue could be typical of bad and unexpert user like me, and not caused for internal issues of this version or  previous ones.

Thanks for all.

It would help if you would tell me the complete text of the error message (including the top line). This would tell me why Logger32 could not write the new date/time into the logbook. What exactly do you type when changing the date or time. For example if you have a QSO with the time or 01:23 and you want to change it to 12:34. You click on the time and the color changes. You erase the 01:23 and type in 12:34. Now exactly what do you do? What do you type now, or where do you click the mouse? SeventyThree(s).

--
HI3B

Bob

Is it possible that while your are editing these QSOs in your logbook, you are also logging new QSOs from some external program - like WSJT-X or some program writing to your logbook? SeventyThree(s).

Hi Bob and all again:

"db Write Error: VIS_dUPDATE_VIOLATION (the title), followed in some cases by" Error modifying the GRIDSQUARE with the following data: " Then I make a click over OK and the following description appears: " Unable to add modified record with primary key: 33873.16875 ". Other times appear another number of the primary key as 33873   1590277778, and so on.

Thanks for all.

--
HI3B

HI3B Radhames

Attention Bob and all:
Extra comments to your last email about Edit Errors.

From: hamlogger@groups.io <hamlogger@groups.io> on behalf of Bob <k4cy@...>
Sent: Tuesday, October 8, 2019 3:47 PM
To: hamlogger@groups.io <hamlogger@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [hamlogger] Edit Errors

UPDATE_VIOLATION error message tells me that the QSO is already in the Logbook. It is absolutely logic that if I try to modify one Qso is becase it exist in the Logbook We know it is not in the logbook, so how/why is it trying to do this?  Let me try to make you understand my better: 1) Qso is in the logbook. It is logic and mandato than if I want to delete a contact it is in logbook. Not way to delete Qso than never it has be logged. 2) I try to modify it and 3) Sometimes appear and other times does not the famous error. 4) If the error occurs, the end result is that the contact is deleted and I have to log it again. 5) Before, always, absolutely always, I changed the date of a contact or the time, without any problem. When I say before, I am talking about last year or maybe before.

The Qso is in the logbooklet to be in the logbook sometido I don´t understand well what you are  Thank you for the description of what you do to edit the date. You said this:

4th) I move to the next field. It is the Time (in my case INICIO in Spanish) and makes the change if necessary.

Please tell me how you move to the next field? How do you do this - with the mouse, the arrow key, the tab key?Always if the arrow key

Another question. You describe changing the date, then changing the time, then maybe changing the gridsquare, Does the error happen when you change the date, or when you change the time, When I change the date or when you change the gridsquare.  Never, absolutely never I touch  the gridsquare. I don´t know how to do it. The info about the gridsquare appear as  final result of the error, but not because I have try to make some modification over ir. I have not any reason for change the gridsquare. Beleive me, I don´t know how to do  that. I have not gone so far, and  my limited experience tells me that this is untouchable information if I find it.  
When you read the word "gridsquare" in the box that reports the error, you should understand that it is information prior to the contact being permanently deleted, and it   does not mean that I try to modify the gridsquare. Well, if before I did exactly the same to change date or modify any data of any field of a contact, specially the date, time, call or so on,  and now that happens, my logical conclusion is that it seems to have some conflict inside the structure of L32 or at best of the cases, it could be attributes the problem to an incorrect way mine to modify a contact previously saved in the logbook. If this is the latter and not the first, and if so, I count with your help or that of someone from the forum. In short, what be supone should to do for make correctly any change in the logbook? Hope "Mr. Google Translator" have been good job.. Hi hi hi.
Rada.

. SeventyThee(s)

Hi Bob and all again:

Thanks for all.

--
HI3B

--
HI3B

HI3B Radhames

Bob and all.....
Comments below

Sent: Tuesday, October 8, 2019 3:55 PM

Is it possible that while your are editing these QSOs in your logbook, you are also logging new QSOs from some external program - like WSJT-X  or some program writing to your logbook? Not....Absolutely no.That happens in the way I have explained it to you, or at least as I have tried to make you understand me better. I noticed that many  Qsos were logged  with the incorrect year. I wrote 1993 instead of 1992. Those contacts are in my old handwritten logbook. I want to modify them  for got  the correct year appears. I neve have open and ready for jogging other logbook or external program like WSJT-X or similar.In fact, I have made very few contacts in this digital mode that I have not imported into L32 yet. I confirm that you: I´m a fan of your program, which almost  does absolutely everything  need  must hams. Very ccasionally I complement the small limitations   of L32 with another application. I am and I think I will always be a fan of this program, which besides being very complete is totally free and has great support in the forum, does not matter it lack of a bit things, possibly not very difficult to implementado in the future for become the perfect jogging programt,  73, Rada

SeventyThree(s).

Hi Bob and all again:

Thanks for all.

--
HI3B

--
HI3B

Bob

Please tell me how you move to the next field? How do you do this - with the mouse, the arrow key, the tab key? Always if the arrow key ... Try the TAB key.

This is the way the logic works if you change the date or time:

a) Check to see if the new date date/time is already used by another QSO. If it is try 20 times adding one second to the new time to find an unused time. If we fail, show an error message (you do not see this message).

b) Delete the existing QSO

c) Add the QSO using the new time ... This is the problem ... When we get here there already is a QSO here. It has workd correctly for thousands of users for many years. So we have to find out what is special about your setup.

SeventyThree(s).

On October 8, 2019 at 5:08 PM HI3B Radhames <hi3b@...> wrote:

Attention Bob and all:

UPDATE_VIOLATION error message tells me that the QSO is already in the Logbook. It is absolutely logic that if I try to modify one Qso is becase it exist in the Logbook We know it is not in the logbook, so how/why is it trying to do this?  Let me try to make you understand my better: 1) Qso is in the logbook. It is logic and mandato than if I want to delete a contact it is in logbook. Not way to delete Qso than never it has be logged. 2) I try to modify it and 3) Sometimes appear and other times does not the famous error. 4) If the error occurs, the end result is that the contact is deleted and I have to log it again. 5) Before, always, absolutely always, I changed the date of a contact or the time, without any problem. When I say before, I am talking about last year or maybe before.

The Qso is in the logbooklet to be in the logbook sometido I don´t understand well what you are  Thank you for the description of what you do to edit the date. You said this:

Please tell me how you move to the next field? How do you do this - with the mouse, the arrow key, the tab key?Always if the arrow key

Another question. You describe changing the date, then changing the time, then maybe changing the gridsquare, Does the error happen when you change the date, or when you change the time, When I change the date  or when you change the gridsquare.   Never, absolutely never I touch  the gridsquare. I don´t know how to do it. The info about the gridsquare appear as  final result of the error, but not because I have try to make some modification over ir. I have not any reason for change the gridsquare. Beleive me, I don´t know how to do  that.  I have not gone so far, and  my limited experience tells me that this is untouchable information if I find it.  

When you read the word "gridsquare" in the box that reports the error, you should understand that it is information prior to the contact being permanently deleted, and it   does not mean that I try to modify the gridsquare. Well, if before I did exactly the same to change date or modify any data of any field of a contact, specially the date, time, call or so on,  and now that happens, my logical conclusion is that it seems to have some conflict inside the structure of L32 or at best of the cases, it could be attributes the problem to an incorrect way mine to modify a contact previously saved in the logbook. If this is the latter and not the first, and if so, I count with your help or that of someone from the forum. In short, what be supone should to do for make correctly any change in the logbook? Hope "Mr. Google Translator" have been good job.. Hi hi hi.
Rada.

. SeventyThee(s)

Hi Bob and all again:

Thanks for all.

--
HI3B

--
HI3B

HI3B Radhames

Sent: Tuesday, October 8, 2019 5:45 PM

Please tell me how you move to the next field? How do you do this - with the mouse, the arrow key, the tab key? Always if the arrow key ... Try the TAB key.

(Excuse me my friend Bob ...I got confused when I answer your question, because I thought and write arrow keys.  I meant say he Tab key. Excuse me again.We know that if we use the arrow keys, instead of the TAB key if it is good for this proposal, it would take a very  long time to move from one field to another. Does not  lógica use the arrow key. 

This is the way the logic works if you change the date or time:

a) Check to see if the new date date/time is already used by another QSO. If it is try 20 times adding one second to the new time to find an unused time. If we fail, show an error message (you do not see this message). In the screenshot you can see that  date/time is repetitivo with a few esos, because I did those contacts inside same minute. Must time when hams are in contest they make many contacts in one minute. I have not use for contest a third party software. All those  Qsos has same date and time. Think if use sometimes your program in contest mode, should increment time in one secad. Then for get save all contacts in L32, I have to increment in one second the time. 

b) Delete the existing QSO

c) Add the QSO using the new time ... This is the problem ...  When we get here there already is a QSO here. It has workd correctly for thousands of users for many years. So we have to find out what is special about your setup. 

I do not believe that my configuration has something special. But, you never knows. I will try to do again what I have always done: change the date, or the time if necessary, or change any other data. But I will do it with EXTREME CARE to see if the problem persists. I'll let you know anything later. Thank you for your time and effort trying to help me. I reiterate my apologies for my confusion and misunderstanding, it was like  a  cable crossed in my mind when I responded you.
I will do it with affraid. Hope thet issue does not come again. I will cross my finges. Thanks my friend. Rada

SeventyThree(s).

On October 8, 2019 at 5:08 PM HI3B Radhames <hi3b@...> wrote:

Attention Bob and all:

Another question. You describe changing the date, then changing the time, then maybe changing the gridsquare, Does the error happen when you change the date, or when you change the time, When I change the date  or when you change the gridsquare.   Never, absolutely never I touch  the gridsquare. I don´t know how to do it. The info about the gridsquare appear as  final result of the error, but not because I have try to make some modification over ir. I have not any reason for change the gridsquare. Beleive me, I don´t know how to do  that.  I have not gone so far, and  my limited experience tells me that this is untouchable information if I find it.  

Rada.

. SeventyThee(s)

Hi Bob and all again:

Thanks for all.

--
HI3B

--
HI3B

--
HI3B

Bob

Rada, I have spent many hours trying to duplicate your problem. I can not break it. Maybe in your case it is better if you export the log to an ADIF file, make the corrections, make a new/empty logbook an import the corrected ADIF file. I have no other suggestions. Now to bed. SeventyThree(s).

On October 8, 2019 at 7:13 PM HI3B Radhames <hi3b@...> wrote:

YV5EN - Edwin

Hi Rada.
Please be sure you have checked the hh:mm:ss format.
To do so, please do the following steps:
Go to "Ajustes"
Then, go to "Formato de hora"
Then check the bottom option: 23:59:59

Now you have to check if you have hh:mm:ss duplicated

Cheers

HI3B Radhames

I think you're right and in one of my previous messages, I had already said the same yesterday. It seems to be in my case the only practical solution because the issue is not persistent. because  It happens sometimes and other times not while doing the same. Anyway, I sincerely regret the time you have spent, and I will repeat the same procedure for the last time, but with extreme care,  following your recommendations yesterday. It will confirm that the problem is mine, rather than your program...Have you good day Bob and excuse me for any misunderstanding and we keep in touch. 73

Sent: Wednesday, October 9, 2019 3:15 AM

Rada, I have spent many hours trying to duplicate your problem. I can not break it. Maybe in your case it is better if you export the log to an ADIF file, make the corrections, make a new/empty logbook an import the corrected ADIF file. I have no other suggestions. Now to bed. SeventyThree(s).

On October 8, 2019 at 7:13 PM HI3B Radhames <hi3b@...> wrote:

--
HI3B

HI3B Radhames

Hi Edwin....Thanks for your suggestion.
I just to write your email address.
Radhames 

From: hamlogger@groups.io <hamlogger@groups.io> on behalf of YV5EN - Edwin via Groups.Io <yv5en@...>
Sent: Wednesday, October 9, 2019 10:10 AM

Hi Rada.
Please be sure you have checked the hh:mm:ss format.
To do so, please do the following steps:
Go to "Ajustes"
Then, go to "Formato de hora"
Then check the bottom option: 23:59:59

Now you have to check if you have hh:mm:ss duplicated

Cheers

--
HI3B