Different displays for different logbooks?

Tom Sevart

I want to set up a log to log beacons I hear, primarily on 10 meters. But when I want to display the logs there are a lot of fields I don't need to see and won't use for logging beacons. But when I switch back to my regular log I'll want to see those fields again.

So my question is, is there a way to customize which fields are viewed for each log file? Like when I switch to my beacon log only seeing the fields I want to see, and then being able to switch back to my regular log and seeing all the different fields for that log?

--
Tom Sevart N2UHC
St. Paul, KS

Eric T-N6SPP

Hi Tom,
Not sure if you can have two ‘different looking-customized’ logbooks.

I keep a main ‘ham’ logbook that contains my regular Qs, and beacons(for Hf/50/144/432)..

And keep a second logbook labeled ‘general radio’ for LF/MF and utility HF logging.

Both logs of course, display the same exact field columns.

~Watching this thread eagerly now. hi

73,Eric
(n6spp/b, 28.2179MHz, xmtr:cm96dm)

~via iP11

On Apr 27, 2021, at 16:57, Tom Sevart <tmsevart@gmail.com> wrote:

I want to set up a log to log beacons I hear, primarily on 10 meters. But when I want to display the logs there are a lot of fields I don't need to see and won't use for logging beacons. But when I switch back to my regular log I'll want to see those fields again.

So my question is, is there a way to customize which fields are viewed for each log file? Like when I switch to my beacon log only seeing the fields I want to see, and then being able to switch back to my regular log and seeing all the different fields for that log?

--
Tom Sevart N2UHC
St. Paul, KS

ja1nlx

Tom

It is easy for you to setup different layout if you crate another Logger32 shortcut for Beacon.
Details are explained in Help.

I want to set up a log to log beacons I hear, primarily on 10 meters. But when I want to display the logs there are a lot of fields I don't need to see and won't use for logging beacons. But when I switch back to my regular log I'll want to see those fields again.

So my question is, is there a way to customize which fields are viewed for each log file? Like when I switch to my beacon log only seeing the fields I want to see, and then being able to switch back to my regular log and seeing all the different fields for that log?

-- Tom Sevart N2UHC
St. Paul, KS

Tom, short answer, no you can't do that. However, you can setup two different Logger32 configurations - One with your default preferences, and a second you 'beacon listening' configuration. You then have two different desktop icons (still only one Logger32.exe, but two Logger32.INIs). You would need to stop you current Logger32, and click on the other desktop icon (probably no more mouse clicks than switching logbooks). to change. I'm sure someone on here can point you to the relevant section of the help destructions tp get you started. As a teaser, click the Help menu. See where it says 'Configuration - Default'? Pursue this line of thought, and that could say ' Configuration - Beacon log' (or whatever. SeventyThree(s).

On 04/27/2021 7:57 PM Tom Sevart <tmsevart@gmail.com> wrote:

I want to set up a log to log beacons I hear, primarily on 10 meters.
But when I want to display the logs there are a lot of fields I don't
need to see and won't use for logging beacons. But when I switch back
to my regular log I'll want to see those fields again.

So my question is, is there a way to customize which fields are viewed
for each log file? Like when I switch to my beacon log only seeing the
fields I want to see, and then being able to switch back to my regular
log and seeing all the different fields for that log?

--
Tom Sevart N2UHC
St. Paul, KS

Good question Tom!

The User Manual wasn’t very clear on configurations so I've updated that bit.  At present, the updated info is still tacked-on to the contesting chapter, but I've added "and configurations" to the chapter title to make it a little less obscure.  There's not really enough content to justify a separate chapter, in my opinion.

By all means check out the latest draft of the manual including the FAQs at the end of chapter 28 ... or hold on just a teeny bit longer for it to be finalised and published with the next Logger32 autoupdate.

Comments on the Manual … and still more improvement suggestions … are very welcome.  What should we tackle next?

Tom, short answer, no you can't do that. However, you can setup two different Logger32 configurations - One with your default preferences, and a second you 'beacon listening' configuration. You then have two different desktop icons (still only one Logger32.exe, but two Logger32.INIs). You would need to stop you current Logger32, and click on the other desktop icon (probably no more mouse clicks than switching logbooks). to change. I'm sure someone on here can point you to the relevant section of the help destructions tp get you started. As a teaser, click the Help menu. See where it says 'Configuration - Default'?  Pursue this line of thought, and that could say ' Configuration - Beacon log' (or whatever. SeventyThree(s).

> On 04/27/2021 7:57 PM Tom Sevart <tmsevart@...> wrote:

> I want to set up a log to log beacons I hear, primarily on 10 meters.

> But when I want to display the logs there are a lot of fields I don't

> need to see and won't use for logging beacons.  But when I switch back

> to my regular log I'll want to see those fields again.

> So my question is, is there a way to customize which fields are viewed

> for each log file?  Like when I switch to my beacon log only seeing

> the fields I want to see, and then being able to switch back to my

> regular log and seeing all the different fields for that log?

> --

> Tom Sevart N2UHC

> St. Paul, KS

> --

Tom Sevart

On 4/28/2021 00:10, Gary Hinson wrote:
Good question Tom!
The User Manual wasn’t very clear on configurations so I've updated that bit.  At present, the updated info is still tacked-on to the contesting chapter, but I've added "and configurations" to the chapter title to make it a little less obscure.  There's not really enough content to justify a separate chapter, in my opinion.
By all means check out the latest draft of the manual including the FAQs at the end of chapter 28 <https://www.g4ifb.com/Logger32_v4_User_Manual_DRAFT.pdf#page=489> ... or hold on just a teeny bit longer for it to be finalised and published with the next Logger32 autoupdate.
What I did was just make another folder named "Logger32 Beacons" and installed an instance of Logger32 in it. I then made a shortcut for the exe file and named it "Logger32 beacon log," ran the program, and configured it how I want it for beacon logging. Closed it down and then ran my regular amateur radio log to make sure changing the configuration didn't change it. Everything seems to work fine by having two different instances of the program and running them separately. Kind of awkward and inelegant, but it works.

--
Tom Sevart N2UHC
St. Paul, KS