CW.EXE not running

Kevin J Prince

Hi,
Been off the air for a while due to illness and circumstances.
Trying to get back into using Logger32 only on  a different device. I used to use a laptop old technology but now trying to use it on a year old homebrew PC.
If I try to run CW.EXE either from within Logger32 or directly from the folder. It just locks. no errors, showing and telling me it will not run.
I've tried as administrator , I've tried treating as W7 and W8..
Nothing just a big lockup

This is followed by:

Twice.
Pressing on [close program] on the second window clears all mention of CW.EXE

Anyone throw any light on this please
73 de Kevin G0NUP

Tom Wylie

Got the latest version of logger?

Tom
GM4FDM

On Mon, 5 Apr 2021, 20:39 Kevin J Prince, <kevin@...> wrote:
Hi,
Been off the air for a while due to illness and circumstances.
Trying to get back into using Logger32 only on  a different device. I used to use a laptop old technology but now trying to use it on a year old homebrew PC.
If I try to run CW.EXE either from within Logger32 or directly from the folder. It just locks. no errors, showing and telling me it will not run.
I've tried as administrator , I've tried treating as W7 and W8..
Nothing just a big lockup

This is followed by:

Twice.
Pressing on [close program] on the second window clears all mention of CW.EXE

Anyone throw any light on this please
73 de Kevin G0NUP

Kevin J Prince

Yes Tom,

Logger is fully up to date.

Thanks

--
[-Regards        ]
[-Kevin J Prince ]

Tom Wylie

How are you accessing th cw machine?

Tom
GM4FDM

On Mon, 5 Apr 2021, 22:03 Kevin J Prince, <kevin@...> wrote:

[...]

David KN2M

If someone doesn't mind, would there be a possibility for a reference, review or explanation of what CW.EXE is and does with regards to the software?  Thank you.

Kevin J Prince

HI,

I've either used the button on the Logger software or tried running from the folder location.

Also tried admin and also tried Compatibility for W8, W7. None of which have worked.

73 de Kevin G0NUP

On 05/04/2021 22:20, Tom Wylie wrote:
[...]

Jan

Try this.
In the CW engine click config
Pot a mark before Software
Choose keyer setup
These are my settings (IC7300)

73
Jan
PA4JJ

Op 6-4-2021 om 11:26 schreef Kevin J Prince:

[...]

my dxspider clusters running on a raspberry pi zero:
pa4jj-2 83.162.186.242 port 7300
pa4jj-3 83.162.186.242 port 7388

Kevin J Prince

HI Jan,

I don't get that far... the software does not run.

I see the screens I showed earlier then nothing it's crashed.

73 de Kevin.

On 06/04/2021 11:37, Jan wrote:
[...]

Forgot to tell you that within logger you
1 click view
2 show cw machine

Op 6-4-2021 om 12:37 schreef Jan:
[...]

Assuming you have backed up your log files, I'd dump logger then download a fresh copy, allow it to upgrade, do it's thing, then try again.  I have logger 4 working in Windows 10 without problem
Tom
GM4FDM

On Tue, 6 Apr 2021, 11:41 Jan, <hamlogger@...> wrote:
[...]

Same results,

CW.EXE does not run.

The installation is a clean one from NO Logger32 to an updated Logger32. At least three times installed .

I've tried it from C: drive and from D: drive.

If I follow the debug route I get an error 10036

73

Kevin

On 06/04/2021 11:41, Jan wrote:
[...]

Dave Colliau

Mine works fine and I set up ver 4.0.250 on a friends computer and checked his yesterday and its fine also . ? ? ?
Dave N8DC

On 06/04/2021 11:41, Jan wrote:
[...]

ja1nlx

Kevin

What is Logger32 version ?
How did you download and install Logger32 ?

On 06/04/2021 11:41, Jan wrote:
[...]

I'm not sure what to suggest next as the settings shown by Jan are the same as mine and use the cw machine in "software" setup mode.

I'm surprised Bob hasnt contributed yet with an answer as he is the guru. I have never had problems with the CW Machine in any version of logger, though I did have a few in setting it up under "software" settings and not with a winkey. I am assuming you are in Logger V4 but sorry I cant help further.

Personally I'd dump Logger32 again and make sure all the folders and sub folders are gone, re-boot your machine, ensurae there are no Logger 32 files still lurking, then download a new fresh copy from the Logger website. Start Logger and before anything else, click the KEY icon on the top toolbar and see what happens.

Maybe its a windows issue, I dont know. I'm not sure if it works from the .exe file, as it might need other .dlls to make it work. No idea really.

Tom
GM4FDM

On Mon, 5 Apr 2021, 20:39 Kevin J Prince, <kevin@princy.co.uk
[...]

PS I googled error 10036 and found this:

Summary: Microsoft Error Code 10036 errors could appears because that your windows system files are corrupted or damaged. And it's easy to find that your current application will be slower and response times lag as well. It's deserved to mention, when you have multiple applications running, you may come across PC crashes and freezing. The main reason for Microsoft Error Code 10036 problems are startup clutter, registry errors, RAM decline, fragmented files, unnecessary or redundant program installations, etc.

So I would go back and check there is nothing lurking in your PC, registry etc

On 06/04/2021 11:41, Jan wrote:
[...]

OK first off, thanks to all that responded to my call for help.

I have it working.

Initially I had installed the 3.5? version then upgraded to the 4.0 version, then allowed for update. For me that di not work and I could not get CW.EXE to work correctly.

After various advice. I uninstalled and did exactly the same 3.5 to 4 again it did not work.

At this point I have to admit I had not seen the direct install of ver 4.0. on the webpage. I think I was blinded by the fact that I have used 3.5 for such a long time and there was the upgrade from 3.5 to 4. I went word blind and ignored 4. sorry about that.

I have installed directly the V4.0 it dutifully did it's update search and I just updated from there.

On my initial run, straight in. vague memory of my settings and there we have it. A fully functional Version 4.0.250

Will be active in the morning on SOTA hopefully.

Once again a big thanks to all that responded.

Thanks for being out there. Maybe see you in my log in the near future.

73 de Kevin G0NUP

    <mailto:kevin@...>> wrote:

[...]

Michael Harris

Congratulations Kevin. It is a fact of life that many on various reflectors ask for help and then silently go away without any feedback on the cure, particularly if it was operator error.

We all learn from others difficulties and solutions.

Regards,

Mike VP8NO

On 06/04/2021 12:31, Kevin J Prince wrote:
[...]

Good Kevin, with so many variables in computers and software sometimes we never find out what suddenly causes it to work.....

73
Tom
GM4FDM

On Mon, 5 Apr 2021, 20:39 Kevin J Prince, <kevin@...> wrote:
Hi,
Been off the air for a while due to illness and circumstances.
Trying to get back into using Logger32 only on  a different device. I used to use a laptop old technology but now trying to use it on a year old homebrew PC.
If I try to run CW.EXE either from within Logger32 or directly from the folder. It just locks. no errors, showing and telling me it will not run.
I've tried as administrator , I've tried treating as W7 and W8..
Nothing just a big lockup

This is followed by:

Twice.
Pressing on [close program] on the second window clears all mention of CW.EXE

Anyone throw any light on this please
73 de Kevin G0NUP

Gary Hinson

Hi Kevin.

I just started CW.exe from the Morse key icon in the latest beta of Logger32 v4, while watching Resource Monitor to see what happens.  CW.exe apparently opened the following files:

CW.EXE is the CW Machine program.

I guess the Windows Installer is called to load SComm32x.ocx  …

SComm32x.ocx is an ActiveX serial port driver which was updated with Logger32 v4.

CW.INI is its configuration file.

The TMP file is a temporary file, presumably used as part of the generation of CW keying?  Not sure.

Anyway, you might try checking that SComm32x.ocx is in your Logger32 folder, and that it is the correct version:

Also, you could try deleting or renaming CW.INI to see if something in there is interfering with CW.EXE’s launch.

On 06/04/2021 11:41, Jan wrote:

[...]

Richard Mann

Are you keying call via serial or parallel. If serial what are you using. If serial could be a usb to serial problem.
Rich KB4HF

On Apr 6, 2021, at 9:28 PM, Gary Hinson <Gary@...> wrote:

Hi Kevin.

I just started CW.exe from the Morse key icon in the latest beta of Logger32 v4, while watching Resource Monitor to see what happens.  CW.exe apparently opened the following files:

<image001.png>

CW.EXE is the CW Machine program.

I guess the Windows Installer is called to load SComm32x.ocx  …

SComm32x.ocx is an ActiveX serial port driver which was updated with Logger32 v4.

CW.INI is its configuration file.

The TMP file is a temporary file, presumably used as part of the generation of CW keying?  Not sure.

Anyway, you might try checking that SComm32x.ocx is in your Logger32 folder, and that it is the correct version:

<image003.png>