Topics

complex problem

Rudolf Klvana

I am running the latest version 3,50,391 of Logger32 on W7 (before that I used Logger for many years since the 16 bit version). Now following problem ocurred:
Symptom 1:
After starting L32 as usual the logbook page window is empty. Trying to find the last recorded QSO using „search the logbook by date“ stepping day-by-day backwards down to 08-07-2019 I can find the logbook page window containing QSOs of that date and also of 09-07-2019. However,  writing the search date 09-07-2019 results in the blank logbook page window. Since the last QSO in the logbook there are more than 1000 newer QSOs missing.
Symptom 2:
After writing a callsign in the  logbook entry window and hitting Enter, the following error message pops up:
"Db Error: VIS_DISK_ERROR
Protected VmxPut failed
Source module: logQSO
Logger32 errornum: 1006"
Hitting OK clears the logbook entry window.
Last logbook backup was made 2 months ago, mea culpa.
Please help but bear with me. I am 73 years old and my hobby is ham radio, not computers.
73, Ruda OK2QA

Bob

Db Error: VIS_DISK_ERROR

Oops! Looks like you have a hardware problem with your PC. Here are the steps I would recommend:

1) Click FILES | EXPORT LOGS | ADIF and try to export your log in ADI format. If the export looks to be all there - Yay!

2) Find the database for your logbook - It is at the top of the Logbook Page Window. In my example I use C:\LOGGER32\LOGS\JUNK. Copy the file C:\LOGGER32\LOGS\JUNK.ISD (this is where all the data is) to your desktop. Zip it, and send it to me as an eMail attachment. I will attempt to extract your QSOs.

3) Do you have a backup of your logbook somewhere?

Three ways you may be able to recovery your logbook. What you do with your PC is not for me to say.  First priority try to save/recover your logbook. 73.

On August 9, 2019 at 4:26 PM Rudolf Klvana <rud.klvana@...> wrote:

[...]

la4wka

Hello

I had the exact same problem on my win10 computer.
Most likely NOT a hardware issue.
This happened either due to logger update or windows update. Both same time here. Don’t know who to blame.

I reinstalled logge32 in NEW folder. Do not overwrite old Logger32.
Export all log as adif. Take notes of the setup like where date, call, time etc etc.

After I did this logger behaved just fine and able to log again.

This worked for me.
73 de LA4WKA Hugo

On 9 Aug 2019, at 22:58, Bob <k4cy@...> wrote:

[...]

Did you use the same old logbook with the new Logger32 install, or did you create a new logbook and load the QSOs from an ADIF file? 73.

On August 9, 2019 at 5:18 PM la4wka <la4wka@...> wrote:

[...]

I imported the Adif log into new Logger32.

The old can be opened to see reference on your setup, but don’t use the old Logger32.
At least that didn’t work here, but the new full install included updates works.

Hugo

On 9 Aug 2019, at 23:28, Bob <k4cy@...> wrote:

[...]

So you now have a new logbook. Is the old logbook still on your hard disk somewhere? I suspect if you try to open the old logbook you will again get the hard disk error ... my theory is that the physical media under the old logbook is corrupted. So, the priority for Rudolph is to identify the best source of his logbook data. That information was not provided, but I gave option he might want to try. SeventyThree(s).

On August 9, 2019 at 7:25 PM la4wka <la4wka@...> wrote:

[...]

Bob and Hugo,

thanks for your quick reaction.
I have made a new logbook backup file (File - Export Logs - ADIF file). In this file there are QSOs until 11-07-2019, so still many missing.
I have tried following:
I have updated an old Logger32 installation in my notebook. I have copied all 36 files beginning with LOGBOOK32 (from LOGBOOK32.admin.isd down to LOGBOOK32.year.ism) from the desktop into the notebook. Starting the Logger32 in the NB brought the message "There is a problem with database synchronisation. The statistics does not match your logbook. Please recalculate your statistics" . The situation was similar as on the desktop, i.e incomplete logbook and the message .....VIS.DISK_ERROR....  following an attempt to enter a new QSO. This makes me believe the problem is not a hardware failure.
Then I have returned the original 36 files back into the Logger32 folder in the notebook, deleted the four LOGBOOK32 and four LOGBOOK32.stats files and imported the latest logbook backup from the desktop into the NB. Import went OK, also a new QSO can be manually entered without error messages. Obviously no hardware issue in the desktop PC.
OK, I have comprimed the logbook file according to Bob's instruction and will send it via email.

73, Ruda OK2QA

Bob

Ruda, I have received you Logbook32.ISD file. For me it is not readable, and I have not been able to extract any QSO records - I use the SP7DQR log recovery tool. Sorry, I can't help with the missing QSOs. I am still convinced you have a hardware problem. Moving a file from one place on the hard drive to another to fix a problem point (to me anyway) that there are defective sectors on your disk. I encourage you to perform some formatting/maintenance checks on your hard drive and to backup frequently. 73.