Cherry Picking

G4RRM Pete

Hi All

I want to work WY for WAS

WY sits in part of the DM Gridsquare.

Can Logger can be set to just cherry pick from just DM locators?

Pete

G4RRM

Bob

No. SeventyThree(s).

On 09/28/2022 5:59 PM G4RRM Pete <pete@...> wrote:

Hi All

Pete

G4RRM

G4RRM Pete

Thank you

Pete

G4RRM

From: hamlogger@groups.io <hamlogger@groups.io> On Behalf Of Bob
Sent: 28 September 2022 23:02
To: hamlogger@groups.io
Subject: Re: [hamlogger] Cherry Picking

No. SeventyThree(s).

Hi All

Pete

G4RRM

Darren Collins (G0TSM)

Hello Pete,

What I did was exported my complete log into an excel spreadsheet and sorted it to show any stations with the state WY. Then I manually entered these calls into the Country/Call alerts. When one of these calls pops up in the UDP Bandmap window they are highlighted and easy to pick off. It’s a lot of work but has given me WAS/FT8 on 20/17/15/12M

73 Darren G0TSM

From: hamlogger@groups.io <hamlogger@groups.io> On Behalf Of G4RRM Pete
Sent: 28 September 2022 23:03

Thank you

Pete

G4RRM

No. SeventyThree(s).

Hi All

Pete

G4RRM

G4RRM Pete

It’s a work around for sure

Thanks Darren

Pete

G4RRM

From: hamlogger@groups.io <hamlogger@groups.io> On Behalf Of Darren Collins (G0TSM)
Sent: 29 September 2022 10:51

Hello Pete,

What I did was exported my complete log into an excel spreadsheet and sorted it to show any stations with the state WY. Then I manually entered these calls into the Country/Call alerts. When one of these calls pops up in the UDP Bandmap window they are highlighted and easy to pick off. It’s a lot of work but has given me WAS/FT8 on 20/17/15/12M

73 Darren G0TSM

Thank you

Pete

G4RRM

No. SeventyThree(s).

Hi All

Pete

G4RRM

Gary Hinson

Like most WAS-hunters I guess, I started out by working lots of US hams, 'promiscuous DXing'.  When FT8 came along, that became even easier.  Having knocked off all the easy ones, I targeted the remaining holes in my WAS report by hunting for stations CQing with grids in the right general area - mostly watching the decodes, looking-up stations with the right call numbers or grids on QRX.com, and manually picking cherries.  Calling CQ ND or whatever is generally pointless (causing more grief than joy) but occasionally some kind soul spots me with "Wants ND", and very rarely that does the trick.

QRZ.com lets us search/filter by "Name/Address" e.g.:

image.png

Clearly, they are not all North Dakotans but most of the 2345 hams listed are.  I guess the search by counties works nicely for county-hunters too.  Putting selected calls into the Logger32 callsign alerting takes a bit of work.  Another approach is to generate a simple text file listing wanted calls, then import that into L32's LoTW User function (I've written about that in the User Manual, somewhere) to flag them on your UDP or other band maps.    

Gary  ZL2iFB

On Thu, 29 Sept 2022 at 22:50, Darren Collins (G0TSM) <daz@...> wrote:

Hello Pete,

73 Darren G0TSM

Thank you

Pete

G4RRM

No. SeventyThree(s).

Hi All

Pete

G4RRM

Darren Collins (G0TSM)

Regarding the colours for Cherry Picking in the UDP band map, I must have something set wrong.

In the bandmap screenshot 10 calls down is XE1GLL in DL80 grid. I have not worked this grid in ‘10M Digital’, only 10M SSB. I would have expected this grid to be ‘green’ as per the colour setup in the 2nd screenshot below.

Where the grids are highlighted green it’s because they have not been worked on that band in any mode. Therefore is this option checking the grid per Mixed mode instead of just the active mode?

I’ve checked grids on other bands and where I have only worked them in say SSB they are definitely not being highlighted as being required in Digital.

The other options appear to work as intended.

73 Darren G0TSM

From: hamlogger@groups.io <hamlogger@groups.io> On Behalf Of Gary Hinson
Sent: 30 September 2022 19:10

Like most WAS-hunters I guess, I started out by working lots of US hams, 'promiscuous DXing'.  When FT8 came along, that became even easier.  Having knocked off all the easy ones, I targeted the remaining holes in my WAS report by hunting for stations CQing with grids in the right general area - mostly watching the decodes, looking-up stations with the right call numbers or grids on QRX.com, and manually picking cherries.  Calling CQ ND or whatever is generally pointless (causing more grief than joy) but occasionally some kind soul spots me with "Wants ND", and very rarely that does the trick.

Clearly, they are not all North Dakotans but most of the 2345 hams listed are.  I guess the search by counties works nicely for county-hunters too.  Putting selected calls into the Logger32 callsign alerting takes a bit of work.  Another approach is to generate a simple text file listing wanted calls, then import that into L32's LoTW User function (I've written about that in the User Manual, somewhere) to flag them on your UDP or other band maps.    

Gary  ZL2iFB

Hello Pete,

73 Darren G0TSM

Thank you

Pete

G4RRM

No. SeventyThree(s).

Hi All

Pete

G4RRM

Bob

Like this? SeventyThree(s).

On 09/30/2022 4:11 PM Darren Collins (G0TSM) <daz@...> wrote:

Regarding the colours for Cherry Picking in the UDP band map, I must have something set wrong.

In the bandmap screenshot 10 calls down is XE1GLL in DL80 grid. I have not worked this grid in ‘10M Digital’, only 10M SSB. I would have expected this grid to be ‘green’ as per the colour setup in the 2nd screenshot below.

Where the grids are highlighted green it’s because they have not been worked on that band in any mode. Therefore is this option checking the grid per Mixed mode instead of just the active mode?

I’ve checked grids on other bands and where I have only worked them in say SSB they are definitely not being highlighted as being required in Digital.

The other options appear to work as intended.

73 Darren G0TSM

From: hamlogger@groups.io <hamlogger@groups.io> On Behalf Of Gary Hinson
Sent: 30 September 2022 19:10

Gary  ZL2iFB

Hello Pete,

73 Darren G0TSM

Thank you

Pete

G4RRM

No. SeventyThree(s).

Hi All

Pete

G4RRM