Topics

Callsign lookup

Ed Sleight <k4sb@...>

How would everyone feel if the callsign database was made available as a
plain ASCII text file? Could then be put in the Logger directory and
accessed. Think Bob might go along with this. File size would be around
5 mb. Which means it could also be run from a Ramdrive.

1. Besides call, State, what other information? Remember, it has to be
kept to a reasonable size.

73
Ed

rbandla@...

Ed - Good suggestion!
Not sure that space is a factor. It may impact response time but that
is up to the user. Also, apart from the basic name, call, city,
state, country, why not let the user choose the fields. There will
always have to be a simple external converter to go from one source
of info to another. I expect to have to build my own converters, but
its critical to understand the file headings and structure of both
the source and destination file.

Here's another technique that I've seen used by a program from
Rochester VHF group. That pgm has 2 lookup sources (actually 3
counting the qso logs)- 1 is the normal CD like QRZ, etc, the other
is a user built file of commonly worked stations. The author seems to
have built in a priority of searches - the user-built file is first
choice, then the CD, then the existing log. It works well with no
fuss or muss. Sorry if I have the descriptn a little wrong. 73 Rick
(VE3CVG)

--- In hamlogger@..., Ed Sleight <k4sb@m...> wrote:

How would everyone feel if the callsign database was made available
as a
plain ASCII text file? Could then be put in the Logger directory and
accessed. Think Bob might go along with this. File size would be
around
5 mb. Which means it could also be run from a Ramdrive.

1. Besides call, State, what other information? Remember, it has to
be
kept to a reasonable size.

73
Ed

CF Lights <cflights@...>

Interesting thought. But, why reinvent the wheel? I think I might be
missing something here.

If I already have a path to cd rom or Hamcall on the hard drive why would
this be necessary? Like I said - I think I'm missing something here.
Chas

How would everyone feel if the callsign database was made available as a
plain ASCII text file? Could then be put in the Logger directory and
accessed. Think Bob might go along with this. File size would be around
5 mb. Which means it could also be run from a Ramdrive.

1. Besides call, State, what other information? Remember, it has to be
kept to a reasonable size.

73
Ed

Visit these sites for logger and other downloads:
http://www.itis.net/golist/ and...
http://www.chroniclenetworks.com/~dwm/Logger.htm

Ed Sleight <k4sb@...>

CF Lights wrote:
Like I said - I think I'm missing something here.
Chas

Well, mainly for speed, and for those who can't seem to get a CDROM to
work. Those are the two complaints I've heard. Also, you would get only
the information you want, such as call, State,and first name.

After spending 8 straight hours trying to debug that %$@#$&* FCC
database
I'm ready for a rest. There are 1000,s of errors in it.

I'm taking a break. It was just an idea

73
Ed

CF Lights <cflights@...>

OK Mainly for speed. I installed the HamCall Database on my harddrive and
Logger and other software has the information in the right places before I
even think about them. How's that for fast?

Ed, Just an opinion - your spending a lot of time on something that I hope
pays off for you. I'd rather spend the time in the garden. I'm still
convinced that the wheel is being reinvented. If someone can't get a cd rom
to work properly - I'd say it's the opeartor and not the software.

I hope you are not put off by my opinion.

Vry 73, Chas

Ed Sleight <k4sb@...>

Not at all. There are just a lot of people who can't afford them.

73
Ed

Gregg's Mail <gah@...>

I am sorry to inform you that Gregg Houck suffered a massive heart attack on
6/28/00 and passed away.

I am Jim Hoffman, one of Gregg's friends, his employer, and a fellow Amateur
(KA3HQR).

If you have furthur inquires, e-mail me jimh@...

Sincerely,
Jim