Topics

Beam Headings Question for Large Countries

Greg - WC0M

Just wondering if I am understanding the calculated beam heading for geographically large countries correctly...

I live in Minnesota and whenever I enter any Canadian callsign into the log entry window and hit tab, my rotor always points to Toronto, Ontario.
So if I enter a call from VE7, that points my beam about 150 degrees away from VE7 land in British Columbia.

Then I looked at the Country database and sure enough the Latitude and Longitude are set to Toronto. But when I look at VE7 for British Columbia in the Offset Coordinates on the lower half of the window, the correct coordinates for Vancouver, BC are there.

Shouldn't my beam point to Vancouver when I enter a VE7 callsign into the log entry window?

Any help with this is much appreciated!
Greg - WC0M

Jim Hargrave

Check your home settings.

Log Entre > Setup > My QTH

Jim – w5ifp-

Just wondering if I am understanding the calculated beam heading for geographically large countries correctly...

I live in Minnesota and whenever I enter any Canadian callsign into the log entry window and hit tab, my rotor always points to Toronto, Ontario.
So if I enter a call from VE7, that points my beam about 150 degrees away from VE7 land in British Columbia.

Then I looked at the Country database and sure enough the Latitude and Longitude are set to Toronto. But when I look at VE7 for British Columbia in the Offset Coordinates on the lower half of the window, the correct coordinates for Vancouver, BC are there.

Shouldn't my beam point to Vancouver when I enter a VE7 callsign into the log entry window?

Any help with this is much appreciated!
Greg - WC0M

Bob

... and I live in Atlanta ... I enter a call of VE3XYZ in to Logger32, it says the beam heading is 22 degrees. I enter a call of VE4XYZ and Logger32 says the beam heading is 334 degrees. I enter a call of VE5XYZ and Logger32 says the beam heading is 324 degrees. I enter a call of VE6XYZ in Logger32 and Logger32 says the beam heading is 318 degrees. I enter a call of VE7XYZ and Logger32 says the beam heading is 310 degrees.

You think maybe I should buy a lottery ticket? SeventyThree(s).

On 01/01/2021 8:36 PM Greg - WC0M <wc0m.hamradio@...> wrote:

Just wondering if I am understanding the calculated beam heading for geographically large countries correctly...

I live in Minnesota and whenever I enter any Canadian callsign into the log entry window and hit tab, my rotor always points to Toronto, Ontario.
So if I enter a call from VE7, that points my beam about 150 degrees away from VE7 land in British Columbia.

Then I looked at the Country database and sure enough the Latitude and Longitude are set to Toronto. But when I look at VE7 for British Columbia in the Offset Coordinates on the lower half of the window, the correct coordinates for Vancouver, BC are there.

Shouldn't my beam point to Vancouver when I enter a VE7 callsign into the log entry window?

Any help with this is much appreciated!
Greg - WC0M

Jeff Wilson

Are you not using the QRZ lookup utility with a paid subscription?  You have to be online for it to work otherwise you will get a generic beam heading.

Arturo LU6ETB

It works right

In my case, when I only type VE7 I can not see the beam heading.
Is there a way to reduce the width of the window Call ?

Happy New Year & Big Thanks for all the effort you put into Logger

73 de Arturo, LU6ETB

image.png

El vie, 1 ene 2021 a las 22:37, Greg - WC0M (<wc0m.hamradio@...>) escribió:
Just wondering if I am understanding the calculated beam heading for geographically large countries correctly...

I live in Minnesota and whenever I enter any Canadian callsign into the log entry window and hit tab, my rotor always points to Toronto, Ontario.
So if I enter a call from VE7, that points my beam about 150 degrees away from VE7 land in British Columbia.

Then I looked at the Country database and sure enough the Latitude and Longitude are set to Toronto. But when I look at VE7 for British Columbia in the Offset Coordinates on the lower half of the window, the correct coordinates for Vancouver, BC are there.

Shouldn't my beam point to Vancouver when I enter a VE7 callsign into the log entry window?

Any help with this is much appreciated!
Greg - WC0M

Greg - WC0M

My home settings are correct for my QTH, thanks Jim.

I have an xml subscription to QRZ.com with the same coordinates for my station.

I am using ClubLog to update the exceptions list.

I've read the sections in the Help file titled: User Editable Databases, Database Maintenance, Setup Antenna Rotor, and Setup Bands and Modes.

Bob, I'm just not sure I understand how the software works at this point. I know it doesn't matter whether I'm in MN or GA or Egypt. The problem example here is just most prominent because I'm so close to the Canadian border.

VE7 is just one example for a Canadian call. Any station that I manually enter into the Log Entry window, located in any province of Canada, wants to point my beam to Toronto which is obviously the main coordinates for VE in the database. Sometimes as I'm entering a call, I see the square yellow marker on the Tracking window very briefly flash at the offset coordinates in the database, but then the marker goes right back to Toronto and that is the beam heading I get.

I realize that the Offset DB helps Logger32 determine the correct time zone, but is my rotor supposed to control to the coordinates in the Offset database for a given prefix number or not? I'm thinking yes.
What is the hierarchy for determining the correct bearing? Is the station's coordinates on QRZ supposed to trump what is in the Offset database?

Here are some additional pictures showing what is happening on my end, (attached). Logger32 points me to 93 degrees from my home QTH, but QRZ points me correctly to 291 degrees for the pictured call; VE7CMR located in BC.
My home coordinates are the same on QRZ that I have set in Logger32.

OK. I think I may have uncovered a bug? I have no idea how I started it though. I can say that most of my operating lately has been using JTDX for FT8 without connecting to the cluster.

As I have been drafting this post and working through the problem, it is now gone. Here is what I did:
This problem went away after connecting to the cluster and clicking on a spot in VE7 land. (See the picture of the spot for VE7KAJ)
Even after I disconnected from the cluster, I can now enter a call for any province in Canada, and get the correct heading! I closed Logger32 and reopened Logger32 and without connecting to the cluster, I manually enter a call and the problem is still gone. I get the correct heading.

I'm not being critical here. This software is incredibly powerful. With that kind of power is complexity that sometimes escapes me!

Thanks for the best Logging software at the best price I've ever seen.
I'm looking forward to version 4.0. If you need anyone else to run it for a while before releasing it, I'd be happy to do what I can with the short hours of operating I have available.

Thanks,
Greg - WC0M

Bob

First off, forget about QRZ (or any other lookup) and forget about Club Log exception updates.

When you start to enter a Canadian call in the Logbook Entry Window when you've typed VE, Logger32 knows it is Canada and calculates the beam heading from where you are to where Logger32 thinks Canada is. So, where is Canada? For my setup, Canada is at 44N/79W (somewhere around Toronto? Why not Saskatchewan? Because of the ham population density, but you can make it anything you like. It's your database, not mine.) For me, that's a beam heading of 22 degrees.

I type a 1 (I now have VE1). Notice that the Country name has changed from Canada to Canada - Nova Scotia. Where is Nova scotia? 44.5N/63.5W. The beam heading has now changed to 51 degrees.

And so we continue with VE2, VE3, etc. If Latitude/Longitude leave you cold, after typing in VEwhatever, type Ctrl_V this will show you where VEwhatever is.

What else can I tell you. 73.

On 01/02/2021 5:19 PM Greg - WC0M <wc0m.hamradio@...> wrote:

[...]

You answered my question. No further explanation is necessary.

I raised the question because L32 was not doing what you describe for a couple of days during which I did not connect to a spots cluster or use the DX Spots window. I made several FT8 contacts with JTDX over UDP during the same timeframe. When I made a contact with anyone in Canada, no matter if they were in BC or NS or anywhere inbetween, L32 ALWAYS  resolved a beam heading to Toronto.
This behavior continued until by chance I decided to connect to a cluster and tried clicking on a spot for VE7KAJ located in BC. After that 1 single click on the DX Spots window, L32 resolved the beam headings correctly thereafter.

Anyway, it appears I am the only one who encountered this problem so there is no point to continue this thread or give it any credence. I'm writing it off as an anomaly that so far I have not been able to reproduce.

Sorry for taking up the bandwidth. Forget about it!

73.