Autoupdates

Mike

A few observations about Auto-updates and the human condition:

Recently there was a fairly long thread regarding Autoupdates not working.

If someone leaves their computer (and L32) running 24/7, and doesn’t RTFM, it COULD be ASSUMED that L32 will periodically check for updates on its own.

I also made that assumption, but I don’t have it running 24/7, so it wasn’t an issue, because I know that it checks for updates upon starting.

I just did RTFM regarding Auto-updates to ensure my assumption was incorrect, and it was.

However, I am fairly computer literate, not so much so with PDF and or Word shortcuts/hotkeys.

The instructions/guidance for the Help Manual is 17 pages in, so it took a little manual searching to find out how to operate the search function. (Ctrl F) for FIND.

One suggestion I have would be to move the Help File Guidance to the very beginning of the manual, thereby making it easier to find out how to find things.

Another observation is that upon starting, it takes 1 minute 7 seconds before the popup appears,telling me that Clublog is doing it’s housekeeping, then the time is set, then L32 checks for updates.

I am aware of this time lapse, and don’t impatiently start trying to use the program until it is ready. (Has had it’s morning coffee, so to speak.)

Just wondering if this time lapse is typical, or if my computer is just slow in booting up the program.

Enough of my ramblings, a GIANT THANK YOU to Bob and Gary, and all of the Beta testers for an incredible program.

Seventy Threes and back to net, over, over.

Click SETUP | UPDATES | DETUP TIME DELAY FOR AUTOUPDATES.

And, Seventy Threes and back to net, over, over. is all one word. As is Llanfairpwllgwyngyll.

SeventyThree(s).

On 06/18/2021 9:50 AM Mike <n2tbp@...> wrote:

[...]

Steve VE3RX

On Fri, Jun 18, 2021 at 10:01 AM, Bob wrote:
Off topic, but I've been through Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch a few times (Llanfair-p-g to the locals), mother-in-law was from Holyhead. My wife can even pronounce it - duh. I've also been to the place with the longest name, Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu and had a local pronounce it for us as well (niece's mother-in-law).
I wounder how long it would take to send that name in CW, without mistakes...   :)

73
Steve VE3RX

Gary Hinson

Hi Mike.

It’s a reasonable assumption that “auto update” means Logger32 will automatically update itself whenever the next version is released.  I thought the same thing way back when autoupdates were introduced.  Anyway, I will add a footnote to the autoupdates section: “If Logger32 runs 24x7, it does not periodically check for updates.  It only checks once when started up.”

Re the control-F find function to search the PDF, you’re right again: I have moved that section to the start for the next release of the manual and given it a more obvious heading:

Re the delayed checks for Club Log updates etc., paradoxically that delay was introduced so that we could start using Logger32 immediately, without delay!  Previously, those checks were done as Logger32 started up and we had to wait patiently until they completed before the DX spots started flowing, the BandMaps were filled etc.  Bob changed the startp sequence so that DX spots flow quickly, allowing us to start chasing interesting DX straight away while the Club Log update checks occur in the background.  It’s OK to start making QSOs straight away: there’s no need to wait.

I have drafted the following FAQ expanding on this:

I hope that’s reasonably correct and informative.

Thank you for the feedback, Mike, much appreciated.

73 & kia ora

Gary ZL2iFB

PS  I’d gladly acknowledge your suggestions in the manual, except I you didn’t state your callsign …