Topics

Anyone using MSHV for FT4/FT8 with the L32 UDP Bandmap ?

Radio Ktwonf

I have been using the L32 UDP to autolog FT4/FT8 from MSHV using its UDP logging option.
That appears to work fine. However, the L32 UDP band map populates ok but does not filter out on MODE if it is selected as one of the blocking criteria. This appears to be due to MSHV not transmitting MODE in its  UDP messages ( as viewed in the L32 UDP debug window ).
Anyone else using MSHV notice this ?  Any known solutions ?
Tnx- K2NF

Bob

As best I can determine, MSHV does not send heartbeat messages. With WSJT/JTDX this is where Logger32 get's the mode information. The mode information is in other UDP messages. WSJT/JTDX send if in a coded format (example: ~ is FT8 and + is FT4 for WSJT but is T10 mode in JTDX ... Wonder what it will be when JTDX implements FT4?). Just to be different MSHV does not code the mode. FT4 is FT4, etc. I will add code for the next auto-update to address these differences ... How long before something else changes is anyone's guess. Limited testing here leads me to believe that MSHV does not listem for UDP reply messages (meaning Logger32 can not send any commands to MSHV). If MSHV does listen for UDP reply messages, it is apparently looking for a different format than WSJT/JTDX because the messages I'm sending are ignored. Are we having fun yet? SeventyThree(s).

On September 6, 2019 at 1:04 PM "Radio Ktwonf via Groups.Io" <k2nf@...> wrote:

I have been using the L32 UDP to autolog FT4/FT8 from MSHV using its UDP logging option.
That appears to work fine. However, the L32 UDP band map populates ok but does not filter out on MODE if it is selected as one of the blocking criteria. This appears to be due to MSHV not transmitting MODE in its  UDP messages ( as viewed in the L32 UDP debug window ).
Anyone else using MSHV notice this ?  Any known solutions ?
Tnx- K2NF

Radio Ktwonf

Thanks Bob.  I was quite puzzled as to how they were getting the MODE into L32 when it was not in in the UDP and L32 did not have a CAT connection with them. I too have not seen any specs for UDPs inbound to MSHV and have only seen inbound CAT messages from the transceiver.  Not sure whats up with all the weird symbols used to denote FT8 MODE but I would guess they were either looking for single character transmit efficiency or someone made a fixed field too short to handle the actual ADIF codes.
In any case I expect that MSHV will stick with the ADIF MODE codes as they already
have an ADIF compliant log update. Thanks for the MODE symbol update in the release. BTW you always have fun when you use MSHV- its relentless in sending RR73's again and again at the end of a transmission and will only give it up if it gets a
73 message or it times out.  It also will not send a log UDP without that 73 !!  Not even sure this can be modified or at least I have not figured out how to do it :)
73 K2NF

On Friday, September 6, 2019, 02:08:42 PM EDT, Bob <k4cy@...> wrote:

[...]

You said: BTW you always have fun when you use MSHV- its relentless in sending RR73's again and again at the end of a transmission and will only give it up if it gets a 73 message ...

I like that. I've added code to the cherry-picker to try (as best I can with the less than adequate interface) to force a 73 reply message. Inexplicably, the WSJT-X meisters simply abandon any attempt to ensure the receipt of the much coveted final 73 message after logging a QSO ... But what do I know. SeventyThree(s).

On September 6, 2019 at 8:38 PM "Radio Ktwonf via Groups.Io" <k2nf@...> wrote:

[...]

yep I followed with great interest your email updates regarding the behavior of the
wsjtx development team in addressing your 73 message concern. figured you would be interested in knowing there is a development team that shares your view :)